Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes MEP'S who have very little influence if none at all when representing their electorate. (through no fault of their own i might add) but thanks all the same for strengthening my case.

There is no need to explain how the EU operates itself.. as long as we remember that a MEP'S job is more or less irrelevant for a kick off everything has to be passed off by the commission first before it can be approved by the council... in other words a right f^cking rigmarole to get anything passed .. by which time most would have gave up. of course a pro EU MEP will tell you otherwise simply because he or she is making a nice fat salary out of it.and wants to keep his or her job open..:wink: .

But from this post you clearly don't understand? Or have I been whoooooshed?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Shocking poll for Labour against a Government that doesn't seem to have a clue about what approach to take to Brexit, is embroiled in petty spats about £1000 leather trousers and handbags and is now presiding over the worst train strikes for 30 years. God help us

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Does anyone on NSC.???..Labour supporter or not think Jeremy is the man to get Labour back in power....Do any of NSC who liked the idea of him becoming Labour leader still like him ???

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tristram Hunt is resigning as MP for Stoke-on-Trent to become director of the V&A.

In 2015 Hunt beat second-place UKIP by only 5,000 votes. Stoke-on-Trent voted 69% to Leave in the referendum – by 81,000 votes to 36,000.

UKIP will be salivating at the prospect of a major Labour scalp!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Jeremy Corbyn has confirmed he WILL impose a three line whip ordering his MPs to vote for Article 50.

These are the Labour frontbenchers who have said they will vote against and will have to resign or be sacked unless they or Jezza bottle it:

Tulip Siddiq – tells Sky News she’ll resign if a three line whip is imposed.

Clive Lewis – Guardian reports he has said he will vote against.

Cat Smith – Sky News say she is considering resigning.

Jo Stevens – Ditto.

Dawn Butler – has pledged to vote against.

Catherine West – has vowed “I will vote against Brexit in parliament”.

Daniel Zeichner – says he will vote in line with his Remain constituency.

Thangam Debboniare – said she would vote against, now crowd-sourcing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant understand him at all on this. all he had to do is say something along the lines of "we support article 50... but MPs can vote according to conscious or local constituency views..." he'd be in the clear, most would back the bill (they are in leave seats). instead he makes a stand on a matter he knows will split his party and front bench, so immediately questions his authority.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Corbyn has done a great job, only in rendering Labour as a crippled/divided force in Parliament. Step down and at least give people ONE credible political party to keep the tories on their toes.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
1987, he assiduously observes a minute's silence for 8 dead IRA mates.

2017, goes through the motions of paying tribute to a policeman attacked by the IRA without even checking whether the poor copper is alive or dead.

Utterly reprehensible.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Jeremy Corbyn has confirmed he WILL impose a three line whip ordering his MPs to vote for Article 50.

These are the Labour frontbenchers who have said they will vote against and will have to resign or be sacked unless they or Jezza bottle it:

Tulip Siddiq – tells Sky News she’ll resign if a three line whip is imposed.

Clive Lewis – Guardian reports he has said he will vote against.

Cat Smith – Sky News say she is considering resigning.

Jo Stevens – Ditto.

Dawn Butler – has pledged to vote against.

Catherine West – has vowed “I will vote against Brexit in parliament”.

Daniel Zeichner – says he will vote in line with his Remain constituency.

Thangam Debboniare – said she would vote against, now crowd-sourcing.

Who?!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Rumours are afoot of yet another challenge being planned to Corbyn's leadership, this time precipitated by the quite shambolic way that Labour is trying to deal with Brexit and this time the attack is from the hard-left rather than the right of the party. Clive Lewis is the name being touted as his challenger.

I'm not sure what to make of this. If the attack does come from the left then it will split the Corbyn vote but will the right of the party and especially the Parliamentary Group put their weight behind another left-winger or will they take the opportunity to push forward their own candidate? I'm not sure the party has an appetite for yet another leadership contest either and whoever becomes leader will be leading a deeply fragmented party with little opportunity to make the huge changes necessary to make the party electable in 2020.

If I were a Progress-leaning Labour supporter I think I would want Corbyn to lead the party into the next election because although it's clear to everyone but the Corbyn supporters he can't win and he needs to be shown that. And with that defeat, the party can get back to the business of trying to win elections rather than a party of protest. I think more will become clear when we find out the results of the upcoming by-elections.

http://evolvepolitics.com/labour-mps-starting-mobilise-leadership-challenge-corbyn/

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds like wild speculation or wishful thinking. a challenger will want to wait until Corbyn has made a series of mistakes, build up a profile and support amongst MPs and members. whathisname failed because had nothing really to offer except Corbyn-lite. in fact, with the obvious divide over Europe, its probably best left to him to deal with, then swoop in to pick up the peices after the next election, post brexit.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
sounds like wild speculation or wishful thinking. a challenger will want to wait until Corbyn has made a series of mistakes, build up a profile and support amongst MPs and members. whathisname failed because had nothing really to offer except Corbyn-lite. in fact, with the obvious divide over Europe, its probably best left to him to deal with, then swoop in to pick up the peices after the next election post brexit

I think you're probably right but I do remember reading this prophetic quote a while back from a leading Momentum member:

In an extraordinary blog post last month, the group's women’s officer Laura Murray accused members of the hard-left Alliance for Workers’ Liberty of trying to mount a coup by opposing moves to give every Momentum member a vote on its policies. She said: "Jeremy Corbyn will inevitably make one compromise or concession that isn’t ideologically pure enough for them, and they will abandon him and Labour altogether to turn Momentum into a rival left wing party.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/u.../news/81905/excl-jeremy-corbyn-wades-momentum

Never underestimate the ability for far-left and right groups to split into rival factions. The narcissism of small differences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here