Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyway, it was FUD from Remain but people did take it as you seem to have done that if we did have some economic pain leading to house prices dropping it's not a bad thing.
I was slightly playing devils about house prices falling - they really are too expensive, our kids have no hope of buying anything here, but I certainly don't want us to have a recession. I fear we might have one, but I thought it was a price worth paying.

I also still think it is fair to say that the Leave vote has been bolstered by those protesting against Westminster
I agree. We were given expert opinion by so many biased sources (I'm reminded of the posts by NSC user 5 something) that it must have turned a lot of people against them.

and those who have been hoodwinked into thinking that the Leave argument will lead to a more equitable society with better prospects for those disaffected by the crappy politics we currently put up with.
I don't know if many voted for the reason. There are genuine benefits to voting leave, don't assume we've all made a mistake.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a democracy folks. Like it or lump it.

Isn't democracy a bitch LOL
But we pay our MPs to make our big decisions for us, not gamble their own political careers by passing these decisions to a public that doesn't really have the facts to hand.

What next? A referendum on taking the country to war in Iraq? A referendum on being a republic maybe? What about on whether we want the BoE to increase interest rates?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I talked this over the other day when I picked up my Sound Level Meter from a Sussex Company that calibrates scientific equipment.

They have several European Clients and without exception, all of them have said they will continue sending their gear for recalibration no matter what the result was.
Come on, that's more like it! One company is going to continue to trade with us, who's next?

:wink:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I can see this going one of two ways: either the EU decides to drastically reform itself (already plenty of other countries saying that) OR this will be the start of the breakup of the entire project. I'm hoping for the former but I suspect it will be the latter. Either way we will be seen as the catalyst.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's quite clear. I'm getting the same message in my European wide firm.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: From you? !!

'My European wide firm', Ultras ???

You Charlie Big Potato, being a Looky Looky man selling sunglasses on your college holiday's isnt really it.

I cannot fathom anyone with any intellect that would say 'I feel sorry for you' and thats it, you would need to be very very stupid not to widen the discussion beyond that on such an important political issue, I know you are busy but go back to your PA and ask what was really said.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Stupid is as stupid does. Immigration will definitely still be a problem.

Of course there will, but don't make the mistake of thinking the majority of leavers thought that.

No, of course. Well aware that people had various reasons for voting Leave.

I'm just looking forward to laughing in their stupid f**king faces when the ones who voted out of bigotry realise they were sold a closed borders lie.

EDIT: Or rather they took 'control' to mean 'closed'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly, actually I don't remember hearing much about closing the borders. I heard a lot about controlling the borders though.
I don't even think we're going to notice a difference there either.

We have to get a similar trade agreement to the one we have now. That will include the free movement of people from within the EU.

I know the 'control our borders' was a message from the leave campaign, but I never believed it. I just don't like the political ideal of the EU or the economics of the Euro.

We have to get the best trade deal for the UK and the EU - that's why I started this thread. It's too easy to think the country has voted against Europe as a whole - we really haven't, we've voted against being in the EU.

I'm off to France next week - I think I might pretend I voted IN :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
'My European wide firm', Ultras ???

You Charlie Big Potato, being a Looky Looky man selling sunglasses on your college holiday's isnt really it.

I cannot fathom anyone with any intellect that would say 'I feel sorry for you' and thats it, you would need to be very very stupid not to widen the discussion beyond that on such an important political issue, I know you are busy but go back to your PA and ask what was really said.

That's you trying not to sound "patronising and ill-informed" isn't it? Lovely stuff. As I say, two words that sum you up nicely.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I talked this over the other day when I picked up my Sound Level Meter from a Sussex Company that calibrates scientific equipment.

They have several European Clients and without exception, all of them have said they will continue sending their gear for recalibration no matter what the result was.

I think it is called Life Goes On...

They won't though, long term. It would make no sense.

Customs clearance involves time and money.

They will end up sending their instruments to a company that can do the same job for cheaper or less, within the EU, and save themselves all the aggravation and red tape.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I don't know if many voted for the reason. There are genuine benefits to voting leave, don't assume we've all made a mistake.

Yup - there are pros to leaving and it's not about thinking voting for Leave was a mistake. It's about how far down the line of potential benefits we actually get to. For me there was more than a smack of the grass being greener to the prospect of leaving. No one expects a panacea but I think the path will be painful and the chances of us getting to a point that makes that path worth treading are slim.

The reality is that we are going to leave now so it's time to look forward and try and make the best of it. There's no point sitting back and waiting to crow "I told you so". It may, just may, be OK :)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Come on, that's more like it! One company is going to continue to trade with us, who's next?

:wink:

On further reflection you are right and I have been totally suckered in.

Chandlers are almost certainly going to email me later today to explain why my car can no longer be serviced and why I won't be able to buy a replacement next year as BMW are pulling out of the UK. :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here