Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The two Tory candidates for next MP

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It will be Boris. The others just haven't got the same cut through with electorate that he has plus he's loved by the Tory grassroot. If Corbyn is still leader by then, if i was Boris, I'd call a quick general election knowing I can beat him. God it's depressing.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It will be Boris. The others just haven't got the same cut through with electorate that he has plus he's loved by the Tory grassroot. If Corbyn is still leader by then, if i was Boris, I'd call a quick general election knowing I can beat him. God it's depressing.

I think I would vote for Corbyn ahead of Boris and that's really saying something !

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Latest Odds

The Runners And Riders For Next Tory Leader (odds from Ladbrokes)

:: Boris Johnson: 4/5

Favourite. Former London mayor and Brexiteer-in-chief. Didn’t have much of a base in parliament before the referendum, but has transformed his standing with many MPs through his role in Vote Leave. Most popular choice amongst the grassroots.

:: Theresa May: 3/1

The Home secretary has kept her head below the parapet during the EU referendum and is seen by some in the party as the unity candidate, best placed to pull the party together after avoiding the mudslinging of the EU referendum campaign. Proven track record as Home Secretary and a safe pair of hands. But might not have the base in the parliamentary party.

:: Michael Gove 5/1

Raced up the possible leadership rankings after joining Team Leave and giving some assured media performances. Has said he doesn’t want the job – could end up as Boris Johnson’s running mate?

:: Andrea Leadsom 10/1

Former banker and MP in the 2010 intake, Leadsom went to the Treasury before the becoming energy minister. Had a good Vote Leave campaign. Financially literate with good bedside manner. Thought to be keen on getting her hands on the keys to No 11

:: George Osborne 16/1

Once the obvious successor to David Cameron, the chancellor’s hopes of swapping No 11 for No 10 over after a vote for Brexit

:: Priti Patel 16/1

Another Brexiteer from the 2010. Popular within the party and has been talked of as the future flagbearer for the Tory right

:: Stephen Crabb 16/1

Welsh secretary was recently promoted to the Work and pensions secretary. Former building-site worker, raised by a single mother in a council house, and went onto get an MBA. Approachable and non-typical Tory

:: Sajid Javid 20/1

Rapid rise since becoming MP in 2010. Former banker and fast mover, close to Osborne. Promoted swiftly and now business secretary but came under fire over this handling of the Tata steel crisis

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Do it democratically. Like the leave campaign in the referendum said, we don't want to be lead by unelected politicians. Call an election.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Round here in "blue" Sussex we've seen many voters vote to elect Cameron in May 2015, then vote for Brexit in June 2016, thus signing his political death warrant.

It makes you wonder why they didn't vote UKIP in the first place.

Hammond and May were conspicuous by their absence. The problem is they WERE both REMAIN. The Tory shires have voted LEAVE, it just feels only logical that the Tories have a leader and deputy that are both themselves LEAVE. The problem there is the leading candidates for those two roles are, respectively, Boris and Gove, so you get the same elitist problem you have with Cameron and Osborne.
Proof positive that in either or both elections the electorate didn't have a clue what they were voting for.
I guess that's hardly surprising when watching the shameful way both sides have handled this campaign.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Proof positive that in either or both elections the electorate didn't have a clue what they were voting for.
I guess that's hardly surprising when watching the shameful way both sides have handled this campaign.

My personal view is that the seeds were sown when the Lib Dems were forced into a U-turn on tuition fees by an overly aggressive and inexperienced Tory Party in a state of euphoria after 13 years in the political wilderness.

They made a useful contribution to a decent coalition government and while they were around the EU Referendum was not on the table. Yet they were hung out to dry and were a lame duck party come the 2015 election. With them out of the way Cameron pledged to hold the Referendum but the increased level of austerity under the Tories since the end of the coalition - particularly for those on benefits - has done for them and the country.

Something strange is going on politically. The electorate's reaction to the tuition fees U-turn - a decision taken when all sorts of compromises were having to be taken when the economy was deep in the sh1t - was a punishment far exceeding the crime, surely not worth annihilating a political party over?

Now the Labour Party seems completely unelectable with the Labour heartlands backing Brexit and mortally wounding Corbyn in the process.

And the latest is Tory voters voting against the very people they elected a year ago and plunging the party into chaos.

I don't think voters have actually forgiven the bankers or the MPs over expenses, but the question is at what point will the "F*ck the Establishment" vote end and sensible party politics resume?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My personal view is that the seeds were sown when the Lib Dems were forced into a U-turn on tuition fees by an overly aggressive and inexperienced Tory Party in a state of euphoria after 13 years in the political wilderness.

They made a useful contribution to a decent coalition government and while they were around the EU Referendum was not on the table. Yet they were hung out to dry and were a lame duck party come the 2015 election. With them out of the way Cameron pledged to hold the Referendum but the increased level of austerity under the Tories since the end of the coalition - particularly for those on benefits - has done for them and the country.

Something strange is going on politically. The electorate's reaction to the tuition fees U-turn - a decision taken when all sorts of compromises were having to be taken when the economy was deep in the sh1t - was a punishment far exceeding the crime, surely not worth annihilating a political party over?

Now the Labour Party seems completely unelectable with the Labour heartlands backing Brexit and mortally wounding Corbyn in the process.

And the latest is Tory voters voting against the very people they elected a year ago and plunging the party into chaos.

I don't think voters have actually forgiven the bankers or the MPs over expenses, but the question is at what point will the "F*ck the Establishment" vote end and sensible party politics resume?

Brilliant post, IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you're probably right.

But as with America and The Donald, rational non-divisive politics will only be able to return after a period of 'what the f**k have we done'.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think it will be May v Gove/Boris. If May is against Boris she would probably win if it's Gove I would guess he would win. I think whoever is PM negotiating our Brexit needs to be someone who really believes in the course we have taken which means Gove .... sorry. :shrug:

Do you realise the devastation he created in education?

He had two parties to look out for in his tenure as Education Secretary, the pupils and the teachers.

He didn't give a sh for either of them, all he cared about were budget cuts.

You want him to be PM?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you're probably right.

But as with America and The Donald, rational non-divisive politics will only be able to return after a period of 'what the f**k have we done'.

We've had general global peace now for 71 years - which is fairly unprecedented in recent millennia - and you start to think the people are taking it for granted, that peace is institutionalised and politics is merely a sideshow. Yet we have already have Putin invading other countries and within the space of 6 months we'll have Brexit, Boris and - possibly - Trump. Wake up people!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've had general global peace now for 71 years - which is fairly unprecedented in recent millennia - and you start to think the people are taking it for granted, that peace is institutionalised and politics is merely a sideshow. Yet we have already have Putin invading other countries and within the space of 6 months we'll have Brexit, Boris and - possibly - Trump. Wake up people!

Gotta wonder why I'm bothering with the usual anxieties about living day to day in Stat World, when the rest of the planet is playing fast and loose with the future.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well written. This result is part an anti-immigration, 'take our country back' vote from the usual tory heartlands, which we all accepted would happen, but its been bolstered by this anti-establishment, anti-capitalist vote from the usual labour heartlands, to push it to victory. The sad part for the latter group is that the party now tasked with putting this result into action is the right of the Tory party.

The biggest amazement for me is how these right-wing Tories convinced working-class Labour voters to vote to leave a left-of-central body and hand more power to Boris, Gove, IDS and so on. They used Farage and UKIP perfectly to stoke up primal fears and it worked a treat for them.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Do you realise the devastation he created in education?

He had two parties to look out for in his tenure as Education Secretary, the pupils and the teachers.

He didn't give a sh for either of them, all he cared about were budget cuts.

You want him to be PM?

That's rather a partial opinion. Any Tory minister making any changes to any public services is usually vilified (sometimes deserved) within months of taking charge.

Some Labour one's too.

He seems to be enacting a reforming liberal agenda re prisons in his role as Justice Secretary so perhaps he isn't as one dimensional as you suggest.

May didn't have the courage of her convictions and played safe sticking with remain, Boris will probably be blocked by Loyalist Remain Tory Mp's.Which leaves Gove, as a long time supporter of Brexit he is likely to be more committed in delivering what the UK population have voted for. Therefore he gets my vote(if I had one).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here