Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Remainers on the other hand.

" I like Europe and want to go on holiday there"

" Will the British Grand Prix go to France"

"No more Euro Championships for us, better win this year so we can qualify as winner"

" The channel tunnel is quicker than the ferry. If that goes we are in trouble."

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The difference is, you just made all those up.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
From what I understand significant damage was done to the industrial base as a result of the horrendous industrial relations of the 1970's with militant trade Unions and arrogant intransigent management, and finished off by the high pound caused by the North Sea oil boom of the early 80's. Add in a bit of Thatcherism for good measure. Not sure how the EU is to blame.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Instead of all the youngsters moaning and carrying on their Facebook campaigns they should politicise , join political parties or form their own and learn to fight in a democracy not squeal like babies because they didn't win.

The Tories won the election last year on a far smaller turnout with a far smaller majority but nobody said that didn't count, if people had voted against the Tories last year then the referendum would never have happened

The EU most certainly has to change, they need to understand It should not just be about the people in suits, it should also be about the people. I voted Leave, but honestly I can't see us divorcing the EU completely. There will be some new agreement reached, whether it includes something on free movement is another question.

God I hope so but will the EU be open to such a deal or will it play hardball to dissuade other members from calling a referendum?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think this referendum has shown that you cant effectively manage a country through popular referendums, too many ill informed people. And yes cameron and corbyn have been found out during this process

Like a lot of things Dodgy Dave said he didn't think the referendum would happen and when he realised he had been caught out tried to get it out the way as quick as he could.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't see why a solution to please both could not be sorted out. It is not as if Farage wants to end immigration, just restrict it. You could, I suppose, have restrictions on those people that want to settle in the UK - they must have a job or enough income to support themselves for example, much like the restrictions in place in non-EU countries. Brits would have similar restrictions imposed on them if they want to go and retire in Spain, for example (they may already do?). A solution is not insurmountable, but it depends of course on how flexible the EU will be - my view is the EU will have to dramatically change or it will slowly implode.

And I think that change it will. But it's too late for us now.

It's clear, even to most politicians in the leave camp, that we need a strong relationship with the EU. What is also clear is that to have access to the 'market' in the way we do there will need to be a degree of free movement of labour allowed. It may be that anyone coming here would have restricted access to the benefits of citizenship, but even then there would need to be a compromise of sorts as our citizens will want access to facilities in other countries.

I honestly think that in a couple of years time folk will be asking why we went through all this in the first place and didn't just stay as we were.

D

Deleted member 22389

God I hope so but will the EU be open to such a deal or will it play hardball to dissuade other members from calling a referendum?

They are going to play hard ball. It is not our country that is the problem, it is not the Leavers either, it is that whole sodding organisation who can't seem to reform over anything.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I want my country back. The one that is part of something bigger. [I]The one that welcomes people with open arms regardless of who they are or where they're from. [/I]The one that doesn't isolate itself when times are hard. I want my country back.

Think we just voted to stop that?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah along with people "who want their England back" wtf does that mean

That's one thing they are likely to get with Scotland looking for another chance of independence and NI likely to follow suit.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
There are the folk who voted 'Leave' to give the establishment a kick up the backside.

The problem is that some did it thinking that 'Leave' couldn't actually win.

With the help of the media and a huge dollop of nationalism to prompt the poor and ill educated to march on down to the polling station quoting things like "we want our country back" and "we are getting over run" while the right wing wheels of the tory party moved into place. There won't be much sympathy from me when the Farage and Murdoch inspired utopia fronted by Boris get to work, we have just handed them the keys for the next three to four years.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The UK will have it hard here. Some in the 'leave' group are softening the rhetoric now. Even some of the language in the right wing publications is more conciliatory. We need the EU more than it needs us, despite what has been said. Someone started a new column on here with grandiose and empirical language about making them grovel. I'm afraid that quite the opposite is true here.

The EU won't collapse. But it is a wounded animal.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Instead of all the youngsters moaning and carrying on their Facebook campaigns they should politicise , join political parties or form their own and learn to fight in a democracy not squeal like babies because they didn't win.

The Tories won the election last year on a far smaller turnout with a far smaller majority but nobody said that didn't count, if people had voted against the Tories last year then the referendum would never have happened

To be fair most of the youngsters moaning (including my 17 year old daughter) are complaining that they didn't get to vote. 16 and 17 year old could vote in the Scottish independence referendum 2 years ago, but not this time. Don't know why. Given the margin of the vote and low turnout among young voters I don't think it would have changed the result though

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One of my work colleagues quite seriously said she was fed up with the EU changing the branding of our products such as Opal Fruits to Starbursts, Marathon to Snickers and Oil of Ulay to Oil of Olay. There was absolutely no convincing otherwise.

And this is another interesting one. Given that Boris and his chums said very little of substance through their whole campaign, choosing slogans and mood music rat the expense of policies and proposals, it's fair to assume that most people voted for them as a scream against the machine, a protest against everything they don't like, from sweet wrappers to speed limits. The Brexiters' skill was to channel that frustration by dressing it up in the uniform of a Brussels bureaucrat or a lumpen Romanian field worker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here