Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I am a Leave voter and would be open to it. It depends on the detail. Working co-operatively with trading partners for mutual benefit is a good thing. Perhaps someone should tell Mr Juncker before he makes any more speeches...

Me too, I voted leave, but could just as easy have voted remain. Would have preferred a 3rd option, a devo max kind of equivalent. Associate membership sounds like a good starting place for negotiations. It was never that much about immigration either for me, so some freedom of movement would be completely acceptable, just not totally unrestricted

larus

When did the EEC morph into the EU? I remember the vote in 1975, with Heath getting ink thrown in his face by a protester, but the change to the EU and political integration seemed to happen by stealth.

The Maastricht treaty was the start. That was the start of then end of national democracy. The plans of the elite were for ever closer integration, but this has been totally derailed now. I think this could be the start of something across vast swathes of the EU.
And the sky won't fall in. If anyone is so stupid to base their reaction on the volatility in the first 24 hours after the vote, then they shouldn't have the right to vote as they are too f***ing thick.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Now is the time the EU should be really talking to us, it shouldn't end up being about one man having a personal agenda against our country, stalling the process because he is upset that we don't like the way his club his run. This is the root problem of the EU, nobody listens and that is why nothing changes. I think the UK is going to see the real EU over the next few weeks.

They've listened. They need now the leavers to do what they promised, and invoke the exit. Negotiations then commence

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.png

Those who voted leave

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Maastricht treaty was the start. That was the start of then end of national democracy. The plans of the elite were for ever closer integration, but this has been totally derailed now. I think this could be the start of something across vast swathes of the EU.
And the sky won't fall in. If anyone is so stupid to base their reaction on the volatility in the first 24 hours after the vote, then they shouldn't have the right to vote as they are too f***ing thick.

I've not seen many people react based on that volatility..maybe you just mix with in your words thick people :moo:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think you will find it wasn't in the eu, and there hasnt been a war within the eu since its formation.

And i was pointing out that a war between the countries in the EU was extremely unlikely anyway because of the existence of nuclear weapons. It was also claimed that the EU brought stability and peace to Europe (not just EU members) yet Yugoslavia still had their war, so the point was valid.

- Would you like to buy an anti volcano rock / pebble? - It obviously works because there isn't a volcano there despite being in Brighton for around 50 years and it must surely be down to it's existence or presence, surely there can 't be any other explanations to explain the outcome now can there?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Then all the brexiteers can be called great little Englanders - a name which they will love to serve their misguided sense of patriotism.

this just sounds like name calling. Out of interest were the people of India who wanted independence 'Little Indians' ? I can understand wishing to be a member of the EU but there really is no need to ridicule those with whom you disagree.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You were doing quite well, up until that final bit of utmost stupidity.

Go check the stats out. Degree educated people almost universally voted remain, whereas those with GCSE or below level qualification voted leave. These are facts, not my opinion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Firstly I hope that I am wrong because I want the UK and everyone who lives here to be united, happy and to thrive...

Lets hope

We are a trading nation and yet we have now given up free access to our biggest markets and favourable deals (as a consequence of being in the world's biggest trading block) with the rest of the world including the US and Asia. Consequently we will export less and import more finishing off our manufacturing industries and raising inflation. Global investment in uk industry will fall as it will not make economic sense to invest in a country that is economically isolated. This will hit jobs further. Trade with Ghana (as celebrated by a UKIP spokesperson last night) will not be a substitute.

We have net trade with the rest of Europe, it is in the interests of all parties to continue with a free trade agreement. In regard to the rest of the world we can set up our own agreements

Economic division in the Uk will increase as the economy falters and perhaps goes back into recession. Scotland will leave the UK and it is possible that the Irish divisions come to the fore again driven by Sinn Fein.

We have a strong economy compared to the majority of other countries, this being confirmed by the Labourites (oddly going against all their mutterings previously). Most polls suggest the Scots are not favouring leaving the GB, added to which there's no certainty of membership in the EU.

Younger people become even less engaged in politics and feel more disenfranhised. More division in the country.

That's a problem for, if, if they had bothered to vote they could have changed the outcome. The buzz word disenfranchised is left-wing claptrap.

In the longer term the rise of the right across Europe will see the break up of the EU and we will live in a much less safe and secure continent and world. Fascism God forbid may take hold again

Eurocrats are worried about the EU falling apart. Why is there more people and people within Europe wanting to leave? There not all fascists, perhaps it's because like many here see that it's been a step too far.

That's why I voted remain but now the decision is done I hope and pray I'm wrong. We all need to pull together now but seeing the front page of the mail and sun today I doubt we will

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
In this country we resolved our issues through the ballot box not by kicking off as other countries do, in time you will see that the decision right or wrong was done in a fair and democratic way and as we have always done the fair and descent people of this country will get on with the job in hand.
The reasons for change may not be apparent now but in time it will be looked upon as a good day for all in this country, as having control of your own destiny is far better than being dictated to by someone you had no hand in representing you.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Cameron made so many mistakes: calling the referendum now in the first place when he could have waited two years; not ensuring that non UK residents who could vote actually registered; not giving 16-17 year olds the vote.

Perhaps the biggest mistake of all was not to provide a 55% threshold for Leave. That would have been reasonable IMO given the uncertainty a Leave vote creates. Imagine the uproar if, say 600k people voted the other way and Leave won by a whisker.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I feel that this vote has divided the nation and it's ramifications will be felt for a very long time. There seems no way of pulling people together and going forward given the calibre of politicians in all the main parties.

Remainers are shocked, anxious and helpless and Brexit supporters are unable to restrain themselves from saying " grow up" or " tough, deal with it " if things do go downhill fast due to inflation, job losses and currency crashes these divisions will be highlighted again and again. I genuinely feel frightened for the future and can't see a way forwards

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I maintained from the start that the referendum was a bad idea because a vast number of people people don't know the facts and so are voting based on emotion rather than a calculated decision based on what is best for the country.

Don't get me wrong, maybe if everyone knew the facts the result would be the same. I don't know. But at least then it wouldn't be a campaign based on fear and misinformation.

What are the 'facts'? You just said yourself we are fed on misinformation. Do you know something we don't? The 'facts' from the IN brigade obviously didn't wash with the country.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
You little Englanders will have to answer for the mess this country is going to be in for the foreseeable future - that you are STILL harking back to WW2 70 years later shows you are stuck in the past where a majority of us were looking to the future. The youth of today will not forgive what you fools have done

All i pointed out is that there are still many alive today who lived through the war, saw many young lives cut short and then see everything being given away . All those lives lost for nothing. They were also conned in the common market vote as there was no mention of a political union.

Why is it the more left leaning of our society have to resort to abuse towards anyone who doesn't share. their views.?
I was born 13 years after the war ended but even if i had voted to remain would have respected and understood the reasons why so many of the older generation voted the way they did.
Maybe future generations will thank us .for getting out. I'm not saying i'm right but i 've learnt with age to trust my instincts and i feel that the EU has been a wolf in sheeps clothing and in the not too distant future when virtually all power has been taken from member countries would have shown what it's really about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here