Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Well they couldn't have gathered data on how different demographic groups voted before June 23. They would have got the information either on exit or later.

The BBC didn't bother doing an exit poll for the referendum because it wouldn't be accurate. The general election exit polls are based on previous elections so they know their sample is representative of the population. On that basis I'd be instantly skeptical of any other polls, unless they'd taken a huge sample.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Picking over whether a statement contains any irony or not, by showing me an example of how the sentence could be interpreted differently is pedantic.
No, I wasn't being pedantic there. While trying to back up your argument against Brexit you said someone's post was ironic. It wasn't, so I simply said so and explained the reasons why some of us think it's good news that the experts have changed their forecasts.

You could have left it at that, but despite being in the wrong you chose to argue and suggest I needed the meaning of irony explained to me. That's just silly and if you want to keep arguing, it's not pedantic of me to defend my point, particularly when I know I'm right.

Picking over wether we can reverse after invoking article 50, is pedantic.
Yes, I made a point that I conceded was pedantic the moment I made it. You could have left it at that, it was no big deal, but you chose to try and argue that I was wrong, and you chose to add a condition to make your point right. That's just not going to work and although my original point was nitpicking, it's not then pedantic for me to defend it when you try and argue that it was wrong.

Picking up on any small gap in my sentences that allows an alternate interpretation to the implied meaning, is pedantic.
I haven't tried to find alternate interpretations in your posts, I've read them as plainly as I can.

You are arguing that we haven't felt the effects of Brexit because we haven't invoked article 50 yet. I disagree with you, and I've explained why. That's nothing about pedantry or trying to find different meanings in your posts.

This is like arguing with my teenage son
Is he cleverer than you too?
if he cannot win on the original topic, he drags it down the side streets if I am at all imprecise in my language, it is just smart arsery.
That's not what I'm doing. You're free to stick to the original topic and I will repeat why I disagree with you.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No, I wasn't being pedantic there. While trying to back up your argument against Brexit you said someone's post was ironic. It wasn't, so I simply said so and explained the reasons why some of us think it's good news that the experts have changed their forecasts.

You could have left it at that, but despite being in the wrong you chose to argue and suggest I needed the meaning of irony explained to me. That's just silly and if you want to keep arguing, it's not pedantic of me to defend my point, particularly when I know I'm right.

Yes, I made a point that I conceded was pedantic the moment I made it. You could have left it at that, it was no big deal, but you chose to try and argue that I was wrong, and you chose to add a condition to make your point right. That's just not going to work and although my original point was nitpicking, it's not then pedantic for me to defend it when you try and argue that it was wrong.

I haven't tried to find alternate interpretations in your posts, I've read them as plainly as I can.

You are arguing that we haven't felt the effects of Brexit because we haven't invoked article 50 yet. I disagree with you, and I've explained why. That's nothing about pedantry or trying to find different meanings in your posts.

That's not what I'm doing. You're free to stick to the original topic and I will repeat why I disagree with you.

You're both being extremely pedantic!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ this thread has got more depressing then before the referendum!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Unfortunately, I think it best I just leave it with you, you can claim that as a victory if you like.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hold on. You can lolol away as much as you like but are you saying that the research (carried out after June 23 of course) into which way various demographic groups voted was wrong?

Well you obviously believe it was right,which is why I was laughing at you and anybody else who follows these ludicrous polls.When was the last time they were right about anything important?Cameron and Osborne would still be cocking things up if they were right :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The BBC didn't bother doing an exit poll for the referendum because it wouldn't be accurate. The general election exit polls are based on previous elections so they know their sample is representative of the population. On that basis I'd be instantly skeptical of any other polls, unless they'd taken a huge sample.

I believe a lot of the stats came from crunching results against known demographic data for specific areas. Using this method it is not necessary to even interview voters, and the effective samples are huge.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well you obviously believe it was right,which is why I was laughing at you and anybody else who follows these ludicrous polls.When was the last time they were right about anything important?Cameron and Osborne would still be cocking things up if they were right :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

See above.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Yes I agree. It's now all about 'points scoring' instead of discussion in a broad sense. Never thought I'd agree with you wrongon' but I do on this post.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes I agree. It's now all about 'points scoring' instead of discussion in a broad sense. Never thought I'd agree with you wrongon' but I do on this post.
I talk a lot of sense when I can be arsed Riv [emoji106]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

You still pop in for a pint or two of the dark stuff still i see... :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I must be turning into a boring old fart like the rest of you gits [emoji6]

Hopefully not,we need a few young uns to keep the Palarse and other unwelcome guests at bay :thumbsup:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
BREXIT BOOM CONTINUES: Mortgage lending UP, retail sales SURGE and borrowing DOWN
GOOD news continues to roll in Brexit Britain with public finances and mortgage lending hitting their best levels since before the financial crash of 2008.
Retail sales also received a boost in the second quarter of this year, which covers June’s historic vote to leave the European Union.

Figures showed public finances had the best June in nine years, as state borrowing came in at a lower than expected £7.8billion last month - a fall of £2.2billion from June last year - official figures revealed today.

Central government receipts were also up 4.2 per cent year-on-year, data from the Office for National Statistics revealed.

At the same time, mortgage lending last month was the best June performance since 2008, indicating the housing market remained in good health in the run-up to the referendum, figures from the Council of Mortgage Lending (CML) showed.
Home loans jumped 16.2 per cent between May and June and 3.2 per cent year-on-year.

Retail sales also grew by 1.6 per cent between April and June, which is expected to boost Britain's economic growth for the quarter, figures today showed.

Howard Archer at IHS Economics, said: "Retail sales volumes still rose 1.6 per cent quarter-on-quarter in the second quarter, indicating that consumer spending made a healthy contribution to GDP growth in the second quarter.

"This fuels belief that GDP growth likely picked up to at least 0.5 per cent quarter-on-quarter in the second quarter, from 0.4 per cent in the first quarter, despite heightened uncertainties stemming from the referendum on EU membership that ended in a vote for Brexit."
http://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...nding-UP-retail-sales-SURGE-UK-borrowing-DOWN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here