Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I may be wrong about one or two things, but not a great many. It may turn out that the leave result generates some changes in the E.U. and we end up remaining, in which case the result would have been good, but I am in no doubt that actually leaving will be bad for British people.
That's quite watered down from your earlier comments. You said it's a fact that we'll have a recession, which it clearly isn't. You state that we will regret Brexit, which might be true for some people, but won't be true for everyone. And you say that everyone who voted leave is either thick (or uneducated), racist, gullible or naive. You are mistaken about a great, many things.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's quite watered down from your earlier comments. You said it's a fact that we'll have a recession, which it clearly isn't. You state that we will regret Brexit, which might be true for some people, but won't be true for everyone. And you say that everyone who voted leave is either thick (or uneducated), racist, gullible or naive. You are mistaken about a great, many things.

We will have a recession, as you are the resident pedant, I should point out that I never said it was a fact, just that I was not guessing, if we have not gone in to recession within 6 months of invoking article 50, it will come soon after. The only way we will avoid recession is if government abandons the austerity program completely, and borrows beyond our means, possibly a bit of quantative easing on top, they may do all this and we still hit recession, especially when the day we actually leave arrives. Those olduns thinking they were saving their Grandkids from the horrors of the E.U. are bequeathing them a mountain of national debt.

I believe the majority of leave voters will regret voting the way they did at some point, I do not know if you will or not, some will not connect their vote and the consequences together, some will be dead before we have gone through the leave process and some won't give a toss as long as they are alright. I believe a good number see it as a gamble and are hoping for the best, but will not be surprised if it doesn't pan out too well.

I have said that everyone who voted leave is either thick, racist, gullible or naive, it was a little tongue in cheek, but I do believe that the racist, gullible and naive swung the result for leave.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
BUNGLING International Monetary Fund officials have claimed Britain’s economy will grow faster than Germany’s and France’s just weeks after warning Brexit would have a “severe” impact on the economy.
Officials are facing a humiliating climbdown after claiming Britain would face a recession if the country opted to leave the European Union.

But now the IMF expects the British economy to grow by 1.7 per cent this year and 1.3 per cent in 2017.
The forecast puts the UK’s economy as the second-fastest growing economy in 2016 among the G7 industrialised nations, second only to the US.

The embarrassing backtrack by the financial watchdog comes after a string of anti-Brexit stories prior to the historic referendum last month.
IMF managing director Christine Lagarde, said Brexit would be “very very bad” for Britain but latest forecasts now suggest otherwise.

Mrs Lagarde was forced to backtrack in 2013 after the IMF predicted the UK was “playing with fire” for implementing austerity measures, only to see the UK economy shoot up as a result of the measures.

She later admitted the IMF “got it wrong” over its forecast.
Ousted director general of the British Chamber of Commerce John Longworth, who backed Brexit, said: “Talk of Armageddon seems to be receding.

“This is not surprising. If the Government adopts the right policies, we will be in a position where all the doom and gloom that was predicted simply disappears.”

A Treasury spokesman said: “Our country remains open for business. We are the same outward-looking, globally-minded, big-thinking country we have always been.”
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/69...ritain-economy-growing-despite-Brexit-doom-EU

I know this is not the news many wanted, so just close your eyes, fingers in the ears and hum Dixie.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
BUNGLING International Monetary Fund officials have claimed Britain’s economy will grow faster than Germany’s and France’s just weeks after warning Brexit would have a “severe” impact on the economy.
Officials are facing a humiliating climbdown after claiming Britain would face a recession if the country opted to leave the European Union.

But now the IMF expects the British economy to grow by 1.7 per cent this year and 1.3 per cent in 2017.
The forecast puts the UK’s economy as the second-fastest growing economy in 2016 among the G7 industrialised nations, second only to the US.

The embarrassing backtrack by the financial watchdog comes after a string of anti-Brexit stories prior to the historic referendum last month.
IMF managing director Christine Lagarde, said Brexit would be “very very bad” for Britain but latest forecasts now suggest otherwise.

Mrs Lagarde was forced to backtrack in 2013 after the IMF predicted the UK was “playing with fire” for implementing austerity measures, only to see the UK economy shoot up as a result of the measures.

She later admitted the IMF “got it wrong” over its forecast.
Ousted director general of the British Chamber of Commerce John Longworth, who backed Brexit, said: “Talk of Armageddon seems to be receding.

“This is not surprising. If the Government adopts the right policies, we will be in a position where all the doom and gloom that was predicted simply disappears.”

A Treasury spokesman said: “Our country remains open for business. We are the same outward-looking, globally-minded, big-thinking country we have always been.”
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/69...ritain-economy-growing-despite-Brexit-doom-EU

I know this is not the news many wanted, so just close your eyes, fingers in the ears and hum Dixie.

It is another prediction, from the experts who according to Gove, we have had enough of. The predictions for 2016 should hold up, given that May has said we will not invoke article 50 this year, next year is a bit trickier and I suspect they will amend that if we push the button early in the new year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... The only way we will avoid recession is if government abandons the austerity program completely, and borrows beyond our means, possibly a bit of quantative easing on top, they may do all this and we still hit recession, especially when the day we actually leave arrives.

thats an excellent economic policy, amounts to "spend loads even though it wont do any good".

larus

It is another prediction, from the experts who according to Gove, we have had enough of. The predictions for 2016 should hold up, given that May has said we will not invoke article 50 this year, next year is a bit trickier and I suspect they will amend that if we push the button early in the new year.

As someone who voted to leave due to my concerns about US Europe and lack of democracy, I was saying about the bullshit projections from ECB, IMF, BoE, CBI, Obama (AKA ****), and we were continually told that we should trust the experts.

So, now the experts have been proved to being wrong (all this about 4 weeks after th vote), you are saying that "They are only projections" and quoting Gove saying we shouldn't trust experts. Are you saying that only the projections which show that the sky is falling are valid?

Oh, the irony hahahaha.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
thats an excellent economic policy, amounts to "spend loads even though it wont do any good".

I was not advocating it, but it would be tempting for the Government to do it, and there are signs that that will be the policy. The "good" it would do is lessen the depth and severity of any recession, possibly put it off for years, but we will pay later, or rather later generations will pay. This would be good for the Tories, as they will be able to convince the gullible, naive and thick that they guided us through the difficult Brexit period without too much drama.
It's like sweeping the dirt under the carpet.

Jan 30, 2008
Of course there were people who thought carefully about it and decided they had good reasons for voting Leave. I have one or two among my closest friends. So if anyone really said on here that all Leave voters were racist bigots, protesters about other things, routine xenophobes, those irrationally terrified of immigrant swarms or "people from the council estates" who thought the whole thing was an extension of X-Factor, then they are, as you say, thick and uneducated.

On the other hand, I'd guess that virtually all people in these categories did vote Leave and were certainly not discouraged to do so by the tone of much of the Brexit campaign.This isn't the fault of decent Brexiters who voted on the issues but it is idle of them to pretend that such people don't exist. (But pretend they will - we've even had someone on here denying that Leavers were more likely than Remainers to be pensioners.)

The interesting question is what proportion of Leave voters fell into the categories above. Ten per cent? A quarter? I don't know. But I'd be surprised if it wasn't enough to swing the result. As a thoughtful Brexit friend said to me: "I'm delighted with the result but I accept it was achieved by people voting for the wrong reasons."
you sound like a class elitist and a complete dinlo
regards
DR

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If you've missed every single piece of evidence and post-vote polling that indicates that older and retired people were much more likely to have voted Leave than younger age groups then I am so astonished I can't even be bothered to provide references. Look it up yourself. Just Google it. I know you've been on holiday but goodness.

:lolol::lolol::lolol: Somebody who still believes what pollsters say-you just couldn't make it up :lolol::lolol::lolol::FFSPuncheon

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As someone who voted to leave due to my concerns about US Europe and lack of democracy, I was saying about the bullshit projections from ECB, IMF, BoE, CBI, Obama (AKA ****), and we were continually told that we should trust the experts.

So, now the experts have been proved to being wrong (all this about 4 weeks after th vote), you are saying that "They are only projections" and quoting Gove saying we shouldn't trust experts. Are you saying that only the projections which show that the sky is falling are valid?

Oh, the irony hahahaha.

No, I was trying to point out the irony of not believing the predictions of post Brexit economic recession, but being comforted by the current predictions from the same experts.
I believe the original predictions of doom and gloom were on the basis of immediate invocation of article 50. If and when that happens I expect it to get pretty gloomy.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If you've missed every single piece of evidence and post-vote polling that indicates that older and retired people were much more likely to have voted Leave than younger age groups then I am so astonished I can't even be bothered to provide references.

Yeah those older and retired folk, what would they know, probably all been on the dole all their lives and watched others do their national service, payed no tax......any way it was only them, all 17million plus that voted Leave, just think of it...17million plus old and retired folk voting Leave, none voting In by the way..

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No, I was trying to point out the irony of not believing the predictions of post Brexit economic recession, but being comforted by the current predictions from the same experts.
I believe the original predictions of doom and gloom were on the basis of immediate invocation of article 50. If and when that happens I expect it to get pretty gloomy.

Most and probably yourself predicted doom and gloom from day one, can we put the doom and gloom back now until Article 50 is used.....or do we need to keep the gloom up until then.

larus

Most and probably yourself predicted doom and gloom from day one, can we put the doom and gloom back now until Article 50 is used.....or do we need to keep the gloom up until then.

I don't know about you, but I just find that today's "Doom And Gloom" ain't what it used to be.
Interest rates at 15%.
Unemployment at 3m.
3 day weeks.
Power cuts.
That's what I call Doom and Gloom.

I yearn for the old days you know. That's when you knew you would get some proper Doom And Gloom. Let's be honest here, this post Bexit stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be. Yeah, we had the stock market crash on the Friday, but, well, that didn't cut the mustard. So, the pounds down about 8% (guess), but well, that still doesn't feel like real Doom And Gloom. I feel for the Remainers, they haven't even got the ability to say "I told you so" anymore either. But, I suppose, it's all going to go wrong now when we trigger article 50, or when we actually leave.

I'll tell you when we'll get real Doom And Gloom. That's when the EU breaks up as it's finally seen as a failed project and the EURO will be the root cause. Then they can say "We told you so".

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I don't know about you, but I just find that today's "Doom And Gloom" ain't what it used to be.
Interest rates at 15%.
Unemployment at 3m.
3 day weeks.
Power cuts.

I yearn for the old days you know. That's when you knew you would get some proper Doom And Gloom. Let's be honest here, this post Bexit stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be. Yeah, we had the stock market crash on the Friday, but, well, that didn't cut the mustard. So, the pounds down about 8% (guess), but well, that still doesn't feel like real Doom And Gloom. I feel for the Remainers, they haven't even got the ability to say "I told you so" anymore either. But, I suppose, it's all going to go wrong now when we trigger article 50, or when we actually leave.

I'll tell you when we'll get real Doom And Gloom. That's when the EU breaks up as it's finally seen as a failed project and the EURO will be the root cause. Then they can say "We told you so".

Not sure i can wait for this Article 50 to get my next fix of Doom and Gloom, i reckon they should start from Article 1 and go to 49 first, do an Article each week, that should give us Doom and Gloom for a year or 52 weeks....that is taking into account a 2 week annual holiday when we can drown our sorrows with All Inclusive drinks but no Doom and Gloom.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Interest rates at 15%.
Unemployment at 3m.
3 day weeks.
Power cuts.

Some of the Doomsayers have disappeared altogether, but I'm sure they are just itching for something drastically bad to go wrong so the can come crawling back

larus

Not sure i can wait for this Article 50 to get my next fix of Doom and Gloom, i reckon they should start from Article 1 and go to 49 first, do an Article each week, that should give us Doom and Gloom for a year or 52 weeks....that is taking into account a 2 week annual holiday when we can drown our sorrows with All Inclusive drinks but no Doom and Gloom.

Maybe a new weekly game - Article 1-50 Lottery.

3 numbers : stock market crash.
4 numbers : bank run.
5 numbers : recession as per IMF (9% drop in GDP).
6 numbers : world war 3 - We have a winner.

That'll bring back some real Doom And Gloom for you. You can then sleep nice and restless every night again.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Look just stop coming out with all this good news !!!!!! WE WANT BAD NEWS, REAL DOOMY GLOOMY NEWS SOMETHING WHICH CAN BE UPLOADED EVEN IF IT ISN'T TRUE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here