Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To the "England have been shit" crowd...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We haven't been shit but we've been frustrating in front of goal and far too conservative with our formations and substitutions - Wales game excepted on the last point. I really don't think Hart should be in goal either. No one has really looked better than us consistently but you'd worry about our defence coping with Payet or Muller. Croatia and Iceland have exceeded expectations, Wales will be pleased too,

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting all these theories and opinions. We're created a number of amazing chances for Lallana. If he'd put them away, we'd be sitting top of the table and everyone would be calling us favourites. Another '11 men behind the ball' team awaits us on Monday, let's hope we finally get a bit of luck in this tournament.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wales looked seriously FLAIR v Russia, are gaining in confidence and could well cause a major upset.
They were playing a beaten team keen to go home, although actually scoring the first goal did rather help.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
...who, other than Germany, has been any better over their three games?

France? Unconvincing despite going unbeaten.
Spain? Lost to Croatia (who might be the answer to the original question)
Italy? Lost to Ireland.
Portugal? Nah.
Belgium? Nope.

Having watched about 80% of the games, my view is:

Croatia are the best team, and Modric, Ratikic and Perisic have been sublime
England are not too far behind, and have performed really well in their three games, but the final ball, cross, positioning or finishing have let them down. I really like Dier, Rooney and Alli in midfield, and there are plenty of options up-front.
Spain and Germany have had one outstanding game, but have been disappointing in the other two.
France look good, but difficult to assess how good.
Special mention goes out to Wales, Poland, Hungary and, especially, the mighty Iceland.

The tournament has been about teams and their organisation, rather than the stars.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would say nearly evey team left in the draw. Genuinely don't understand people being positive about England, I think we've been really poor in a very, very easy group.

And we might scrape past Iceland but won't go any further than that as we have a dreadful manager.

A real pity as I think if we had a decent manager who was not afraid to drop Rooney and had picked the correct squad, team and tactics, we had a real chance this tournament.

Wow. You really think England have been 'shit'? Far, far better than any tournament since 2002 I'd say. Not many teams looking better as OP says. Played without fear and with passion, which is what people are always calling for surely? Yes, criticise the manager for the changes vs Slovak, our lack of taking chances, our tempo (AT TIMES) and our inability to break down 11 men camped in their 3rd of the field = fine, but to suggest we've been shit is surely more blinkered?! Take away results and finishing and our overall play has been up there with the best, no question. Yes we'll probably lose to France in the 1/4s on their patch but we've certainly looked better than we have for a long, long time. And we always qualify outstandingly these days, let's not forget that.

As for the others being 'shit' as well - you are hard to please. Maybe our dominance of the ball MADE them look hugely restricted. Just because Slovakia SOUND shit, it doesn't mean they are - maybe brush up on their recent results?

We've got what looks like an easy game followed by France, on the other side it would have been the same and Belgium. Not a lot of difference IMO.

Then you're in the semi against a good side which would have been the same on the other half.

Agree. It's annoying but people keep quoting 'Spain, Germany, France, Italy. etc when in reality it will probably just mean a trickier semi final ON PAPER if we were to get there. The others are going to be knocking eachother out along the way and I don't see a big difference in Belgium and France if we get to the 1/4s. People are lining up Hodgson to take the flack before the knockout stage has even started. I sort of understand it, but not many will bother to break it down like the above.

Created very little? Looked marginally better than Russia, Wales & Slovakia? Have you watched the three games?

Cumulative stats for the 3 games:

England

Average possession:61%
Shots: 64
Shots on goal: 15
Corners: 26

Opposition:

Average possession: 39%
Shots: 18
Shots on goal: 6
Corners:7

Absolutely dominated all 3 games no question. Anyone saying otherwise is deluded. All 3 teams have set up to draw against us too which makes it very difficult. Yes, we need to up the tempo at times and find a way to break teams down, but there's only been one side trying to play football in all 3 games - some people just love to moan about their country for some bizarre reason.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hungary: 6 goals from 35 shots in the tournament.

England: 3 goals from 64 shots in the tournament.

Hungary's goals tonight showed exactly what we are missing so far in this tournament. Score goals in the manner they do and we could easily win the tournament.

Aye and yet it's the defence that most pundits were worried about before the tournament started

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Interesting all these theories and opinions. We're created a number of amazing chances for Lallana. If he'd put them away, we'd be sitting top of the table and everyone would be calling us favourites. Another '11 men behind the ball' team awaits us on Monday, let's hope we finally get a bit of luck in this tournament.
Hes never going to score most of his shots are either in row z or heading towards the corner flag.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Once again we have muddled through without ever putting down a marker and hoping group stage results give us an easyish tie in the next round. We don't frighten anybody and when the chips are down.....

I like that - complacency is often the weak spot in top teams.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Hungary: 6 goals from 35 shots in the tournament.

England: 3 goals from 64 shots in the tournament.

Hungary's goals tonight showed exactly what we are missing so far in this tournament. Score goals in the manner they do and we could easily win the tournament.

I presume that you mean 'a very large slice of luck'? Two of their goals were deflected and gave the keeper no chance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For as long as we ask our players to play so many matches in what is the longest, hardest, season in Europe,without any kind of mid-winter break, and with major tournaments, the Euros, and the World Cup starting so soon afterwards, we will never have much of a chance of winning anything.

Our players are just too knackered.
Yes, it's not as if many of the players in the other teams play in the PL too, is it?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Once again we have muddled through without ever putting down a marker and hoping group stage results give us an easyish tie in the next round. We don't frighten anybody and when the chips are down.....

But teams are scared of us, we wouldn't have seen 3 teams park the bus against us.

As I said, we wont win Euro 16 without some luck, however France will be pissed off if they have to play us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is beginning to read like our Tour de France thread.
In the moment we paw over the implications of losing 20 seconds, then 2 weeks later that rider wins by 4mins.

Now I'm not saying England will be winning the Euros, but the team has qualified, it's still in the competition, isn't about time we moved on too?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
We've been ok, just haven't taken our chances.

We seem to have a narrow attacking shape and rely on the full backs, which is ok when playing open attacking football, but against teams that need a bit of flair or intricate passing to breakdown we've struggled.

I think that the obvious ones of France, Italy and Germany have played better than us, plus Croatia.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Well, at least someone thinks that dropping Rooney was a good idea.

It wasn't though. He played well in England's first 2 matches and he is England's best option to play that deep lying midfield playmaker role. Against Slovakia, England were crying out for a number 8 type midfielder who could play a defence splitting pass, a la Modric for Croatia or Ozil for Germany. By the time Rooney was introduced, Slovakia had about 7 men behind the ball.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Seriously, I've heard people wheel out "It's just SAME old England, innit".

Ummmmm, NO. No it's not.

Our draws against Russia and Slovakia are a LIGHT YEAR away from those against Algeria and Costa Rica in 2010 and 2014.

We are playing WELL. The amount of shots we've had alone shows we are a creative team. It wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT if we smack Iceland 3-0. Someone is due one from us.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Seems that those that are not avId football fans tend to shout the loudest about how shit we are.

We've been decent so far and passion is there for all to see. Christ, even every player is singing the anthem these days.

People love to hate England . Justified before but not this tournament. Bizarre

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here