Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To the "England have been shit" crowd...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
It's been very frustrating viewing so far, but we haven't played badly. I'd expect us to get past Iceland; it's only when we come up against someone who wants to 'play a bit' that we'll find out whether we have any chance. My opinion is that a team who comes at us might actually suit our style of play. It's very like watching the Albion last season, if you ask me. Although I imagine my time in Nice next week might be a tad more enjoyable than the trip to Boro was.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The same old problem though is not winning the group when we should do. Look at the half of the knockout stages we could have been in - Switzerland, NI, Poland, Hungary, Belgium; Portugal & Croatia are the only ones we'd really want to avoid. Now look at our half - Germany, Italy, Spain, France. We could have avoided all these until the final - now we'll (probably) have to beat two of them to get there. By which time we'll be knackered.....

And this is our regular failing really. Yes, I've quite enjoyed our games and style - but feel frustrated once again.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
To the "England have been shit" crowd...

I would say nearly evey team left in the draw. Genuinely don't understand people being positive about England, I think we've been really poor in a very, very easy group.

And we might scrape past Iceland but won't go any further than that as we have a dreadful manager.

A real pity as I think if we had a decent manager who was not afraid to drop Rooney and had picked the correct squad, team and tactics, we had a real chance this tournament.

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
I would say nearly evey team left in the draw. Genuinely don't understand people being positive about England, I think we've been really poor in a very, very easy group.

And we might scrape past Iceland but won't go any further than that as we have a dreadful manager.

A real pity as I think if we had a decent manager who was not afraid to drop Rooney and had picked the correct squad, team and tactics, we had a real chance this tournament.

You honestly think England have been really poor ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think England have been pretty good. Dominated all 3 games and got a 90th minute goal where we passed through a team rather than hoofed up to a big man.

Dissapointment has been the manager. He farted about picking the squad, got Kane taking corners, plays players out of position and generally hasnt a clue what his best formation or team is after 6 years in charge. The 6 changes he made was the icing on the shit cake. Hope Roy proves me wrong but I'd rather he was in a rocking chair than the dug out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The same old problem though is not winning the group when we should do. Look at the half of the knockout stages we could have been in - Switzerland, NI, Poland, Hungary, Belgium; Portugal & Croatia are the only ones we'd really want to avoid. Now look at our half - Germany, Italy, Spain, France. We could have avoided all these until the final - now we'll (probably) have to beat two of them to get there. By which time we'll be knackered.....

And this is our regular failing really. Yes, I've quite enjoyed our games and style - but feel frustrated once again.

This, we never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity....for most of my life England have struggled when it really mattered. Apart from Italia '90 and '96 we have consistently failed to perform or put down a marker. Frustrated most of my life.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Enjoyed watching Iceland more than any other country , they have a plan , they have stuck to it and will cause england all sorts of problems , the best team / football wise i have seen were Croatia swiftly followed by the worst team in the very same game , come the final the Germans will be there as usual but i honestly have no idea against , the rest are less than convincing and if Iceland do turn us over i would like them to progress to the final .

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

We've got what looks like an easy game followed by France, on the other side it would have been the same and Belgium. Not a lot of difference IMO.

Then you're in the semi against a good side which would have been the same on the other half.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
You can't win a competition in the group stage and at some point everybody is going to have a good game or spell of two or three matches. If France were a racehorse they'd be in the pack, ready to make their move over the final four furlongs. Croatia? Played well offensively but I'm a bit concerned they've ended up with Portugal having backed them at 28/1. Take care of the greasy git and they should be fine although they haven't looked great defensively with crosses coming in from the right flank time after time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
To the "England have been shit" crowd...

You honestly think England have been really poor ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I do. We've created very little against 3 of the poorest sides in the competition. Wales, Slovakia and Russia are dreadful and we've looked marginally better than them.

The manager has no clue what his best 11, formation or tactics are.

It's such a shame because against Germany recently, without Rooney in the team, we were brilliant. In the subsequent couple of months we've gone back 2 years, partly because of the manager's insistence on shoe horning Rooney into the side.

Dele Alli is one of the most exciting players I've seen for years and we're wasting him. We should have based our side around Leicester and Spurs players and tactics. They have just had outstanding seasons thanks in a large part to attacking English players like Kane, Alli, Vardy, Drinkwater and Albrighton and we're either wasting them or made the mistake of not picking them in the first place. It's no coincidence that our three best players so far have been Spurs players Walker, Rose and Dier.

We could have scared the life out of some of these defences but as usual in tournaments we look predictable and clueless on breaking even poor sides down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes I do. We've created very little against 3 of the poorest sides in the competition. Wales, Slovakia and Russia are dreadful and we've looked marginally better than them.

The manager has no clue what his best 11, formation or tactics are.

It's such a shame because against Germany recently, without Rooney in the team, we were brilliant. In the subsequent couple of months we've gone back 2 years, partly because of the manager's insistence on shoe horning Rooney into the side.

Dele Alli is one of the most exciting players I've seen for years and we're wasting him. We should have based our side around Leicester and Spurs players and tactics. They have just had outstanding seasons thanks in a large part to attacking English players like Kane, Alli, Vardy, Drinkwater and Albrighton and we're either wasting them or made the mistake of not picking them in the first place. It's no coincidence that our three best players so far have been Spurs players Walker, Rose and Dier.

We could have scared the life out of some of these defences but as usual in tournaments we look predictable and clueless on breaking even poor sides down.

Can't really argue against any of this.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
"The England have been shit crowd"

What, you mean people with the power of sight?

Belgium, Germany, Croatia, Hungary, Spain, France and Italy all able to break down defensively-minded sides.
Wales, featuring STARS such as: Hal Robson-Kanu (Reading), Johnny Williams (Palace/weak championship clubs) finished above us.
Iceland's squad of League 1 players garnered the same amount of points us as in their group.

How exactly are we supposed to react? Worship our swashbuckling heroes who carved out two chances against the mighty Slovakians?

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Created very little? Looked marginally better than Russia, Wales & Slovakia? Have you watched the three games?

Cumulative stats for the 3 games:

England

Average possession:61%
Shots: 64
Shots on goal: 15
Corners: 26

Opposition:

Average possession: 39%
Shots: 18
Shots on goal: 6
Corners:7

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Created very little? Looked marginally better than Russia, Wales & Slovakia? Have you watched the three games?

Cumulative stats for the 3 games:

England

Average possession:61%
Shots: 64
Shots on goal: 15
Corners: 26

Opposition:

Average possession: 39%
Shots: 18
Shots on goal: 6
Corners:7

England