Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To the "England have been shit" crowd...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The stupid thing is I am relieved we went out to Iceland. Imagine getting a good shoeing by Germany, France or Italy in the current climate.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it made a change. We can usually avoid defeat against the smaller teams and only keel over when we come up against one of the top tier nations. At least this was a new humiliation.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
My boy got to wear his new England shirt once.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
think of all the people who complained when Sven had us punching well above our usual crappy weight,

I remember saying on here, after Sven had resigned, that in the future, we'll look on Sven's reign as successful. I wsa roundly mocked for it. Just to recap: he took us to three successive QFs; we've made one QF in the five tournaments since he left.

Anyone feeling that we're going to make the next three in a row?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember saying on here, after Sven had resigned, that in the future, we'll look on Sven's reign as successful. I wsa roundly mocked for it. Just to recap: he took us to three successive QFs; we've made one QF in the five tournaments since he left.

Anyone feeling that we're going to make the next three in a row?

The Sven-Göran Eriksson era and the joys of quarter final defeats were halcyon days. We are an utter, utter joke now.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Seeing them win the 1966 World Cup, albeit on TV, seems like an enormous privilige (sp) now. Neither me or my neices / nephews will ever see that again.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I agree. The Premier league is awash with cash yet it produces a national team that loses to a minnow nation of 300k inhabitants. Utter, utter joke!

Um, surely a rich top flight is the cause of an atrocious national team... As it becomes a washed with foreign talent rather than home grown.

Really don't understand this logic of linking the money in the PL and quality of players it produces..

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Um, surely a rich top flight is the cause of an atrocious national team... As it becomes a washed with foreign talent rather than home grown.

Really don't understand this logic of linking the money in the PL and quality of players it produces..

Whilst I accept there maybe too many foreign nationals playing in the Prem. And a limit to how many might play in a game at one time might be a consideration. It will hardly improve the quality of our national team, will it?
It will only lead to lesser quality players moving up a grade or two, but I can't imagine your 'average' Ryman League player making the grade. :shrug:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Enjoyed watching Iceland more than any other country , they have a plan , they have stuck to it and will cause england all sorts of problems , the best team / football wise i have seen were Croatia swiftly followed by the worst team in the very same game , come the final the Germans will be there as usual but i honestly have no idea against , the rest are less than convincing and if Iceland do turn us over i would like them to progress to the final .

Smartarse :p

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Iceland have probably saved us from an even bigger humiliation against France. Our walkthrough defence and bumbling keeper could have easily conceded 5 or 6 against a half decent side.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Far far too much arrogance by the English right now. Iceland turned us over and Europe will as well unless we have a change of mind set.

It is wrong to belittle Iceland. They are a good decent team. They beat Holland home and away to get to the finals and got through the group stage. People are speaking as if just because they are a small nation they should not be playing football and winning. Look at their recent record. It is one of success.

The pundits and the media certainly underestimated Iceland and our team did too. We just did not turn up for the game and seem to have no plan or tactics likely to be successful. That said and being an Albion follower, it we took and early lead and then threw it away by lax marking and followed by a goalkeeping howler I would expect the confidence to drain out of our side somewhat.

And so we move to another manager and similar performances and results will follow. It will be the way of our football in my lifetime until we get real. Everybody had us in the next round against France when there was a game to be played against efficient opposition. Not a good idea !!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree. The Premier league is awash with cash yet it produces a national team that loses to a minnow nation of 300k inhabitants. Utter, utter joke!

Ars wenger when asked why he didn't pick any English or home grown players when they had a totally foreign team said it was not the job of the premiership managers to help the national side. Their job depends on results of their team and that was 100% paramount......so basically saying screw the home nations, we don't care.

And that is the problem.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed, I said the same thing. And we're the same age, we both know that in the last fifty years after we've been knocked out of a tournament (or failed to qualify even) the cry is "We've got the players, it's just that the manager is rubbish." I long ago stopped believing that, (probably in about 1980), but some people were slow learners.

Occasionally however there is some truth in it. Hodgson, although not as bad as McClaren or Taylor, really WAS rubbish and I'm glad he's gone.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ars wenger when asked why he didn't pick any English or home grown players when they had a totally foreign team said it was not the job of the premiership managers to help the national side. Their job depends on results of their team and that was 100% paramount......so basically saying screw the home nations, we don't care.

And that is the problem.

That should get better now though thanks to Brexit. We won't be bound by EU law and so we can ban all the foreigners! :)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Whilst I accept there maybe too many foreign nationals playing in the Prem. And a limit to how many might play in a game at one time might be a consideration. It will hardly improve the quality of our national team, will it?
It will only lead to lesser quality players moving up a grade or two, but I can't imagine your 'average' Ryman League player making the grade. :shrug:

But that isn't my point, my point is about the ability for players to develop whilst the premier league is flooded with foreign talent. If there's more foreign talent, then there is less opportunity for English players to get necessary game time to develop. Coupled with the lack of a national strategy to develop from grassroots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here