• Leave

Votes: 132 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Errr ....because it's a condition on us staying. If we vote to stay and they DON'T all pass the agreements what happens ?

This is how policy works in the vast majority of places, be it the EU, the U.K. Parliament or your work place. You propose something, vote on it, then if accepted implement it. Do I really need to explain this to you?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Over the past week the Prime Minister has accused members of his own party as being “misleading” and “absolutely wrong” over Turkey joining the EU. The PM is correct in saying the UK has a veto over Turkey joining the EU, but what does a veto mean if the Government is unwilling to use it? Absolutely nothing! The Government’s policy is abundantly clear - it wants Turkey to join the EU and is actively assisting Turkey in its efforts. This isn’t merely giving them a helping hand; the Government already has a team of civil servants working on fulfilling the Dodgy Dave’s objective of an EU which includes Turkey.

Just a question, I'm not trying to point score or anything, but why are you so certain Cameron wants Turkey in and why does he ? He leads a right-ish wing party, fairly anti- immigrantion, so, why would he want 80million Muslim Turks knocking on our front door?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just a question, I'm not trying to point score or anything, but why are you so certain Cameron wants Turkey in and why does he ? He leads a right-ish wing party, fairly anti- immigrantion, so, why would he want 80million Muslim Turks knocking on our front door?

Cameron doesn't. Soulman has run out of arguments hence he keeps reciting this nonsense. This is why he is "certain" He will now use his only other argument and make a comment about me living abroad.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No it hasn't Cameron contradicts himself all the time. He is the man of many faces

It has.

We're going to have this all the time aren't we. You can't will something not to be true. Turkey does not qualify for EU membership.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am a conservative and would not trust Cameron again,yet oddly he may just have pulled off the biggest coup in the history of General elections ever and assured Blue vote in 2020..why?

Having gained votes it the first place to beckon the party to power by offering a "referendum" to the British public,he knows that the public will vote remain and having lavishly told us how well the UK is doing,there clearly is no need for a future change of government in the short term....

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Cameron doesn't. Soulman has run out of arguments hence he keeps reciting this nonsense. This is why he is "certain" He will now use his only other argument and make a comment about me living abroad.

Can you not on the eve of what is one of the most important decisions in our history, just leave the debate to those the result will affect, ie those that live here.
Surely you have message boards and forums in Germany.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can you not on the eve of what is one of the most important decisions in our history, just leave the debate to those the result will affect, ie those that live here.

You don't think this debate is going to effect Brits living and working in the EU!? ???

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I am a conservative and would not trust Cameron again,yet oddly he may just have pulled off the biggest coup in the history of General elections ever and assured Blue vote in 2020..why?

Having gained votes it the first place to beckon the party to power by offering a "referendum" to the British public,he knows that the public will vote remain and having lavishly told us how well the UK is doing,there clearly is no need for a future change of government in the short term....

True, things are pretty good and compared to the opposition they have a free run

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Until, he has to heal the huge rifts in the party, that his very unwise decision to hold a referendum has caused.

I think anyone living and working on mainland Europe who is a citizen of Britain has every right to comment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You don't think this debate is going to effect Brits living and working in the EU!? ???

Come on [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] let's have your answer.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Are you going to answer my 'Turkish' question?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't care whether the bloke who serves me in the garage is British or Polish. I don't care whether laws are made by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels or faceless bureaucrats in Westminster. I know that our public services would be less overwhelmed if there were fewer people in the country, but I know that our strong economy creates jobs and these jobs will be filled whoever is in charge. I know that money is spent on the EU, but I think that it is (a) a good thing, (b) not that much in the grand scheme of things and (c) make no tangible difference to anything if saved.

Some oif these things bother me a little, but its not important, its all just noise that doesn't really matter. But what is hugely important in this world is the environment, our planet, which is under more pressure from man's activities than ever before. We're polluting, exploiting and damaging it in every conceivable way, and this really really matters. We can only begin to tackle the world's problems by working together, and although I'm certainly not claiming its perfect, the EU is the world's first mega-economy to actually care about the environment, to actually place environmentally policies front and centre and actually do something about it. The EU tackles air and water pollution, taking member states to court to force them to clean up. Our air and beaches are cleaner exactly because the EU took on our government, and other governments. The EU is implementing sustainable trade agreements with major industry, insisting on sustainable timber and sustainable palm oil. The EU has taken a lead in tackling climate change, in contrast to so many other rich nations like the US, Australia and Japan, with strong measures to reduce energy consumption. Habitat protection, prevention of over-fishing, regulation of pesticides, protection of migratory species can only work in a multi-national framework. Most importantly, the EU enables the UKto have influence and give our policies a wider reach, for example insisting eastern European countries adopt carbon reduction targets.

Its not perfect, lots more to be done, but dismantling the EU would just be giving up, would be destroying the first multi-national body with the will, influence, determination and sheer clout to do something about these issues. I may not be the most eloquent to explain these things, but I know protecting our environment matters more than anything else in this world, and this is why I'm voting Remain
Well said Simon.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Ok, fair question. Firstly over the years it has been clear that you and many left leaners do not trust Cameron, yet you put your trust in him over Turkey and other issues re the referendum. The same Cameron that stated we would not be affected if we left the EU....less than a year ago.
So on to Turkey..less than.a couple of years ago, recall?
"David Cameron: I still want Turkey to join EU, despite migrant fears
The Prime Minister says a European Union without Turkey is 'not stronger but weaker"
David Cameron has said that he still “very much supports” Turkey joining the European Union, despite his Government's inability to control numbers of EU migrants coming to the UK.

The Prime Minister was quizzed about his support for Turkey’s accession to the EU during a visit to Turkey to meet the country’s Prime Minister and President.

Mr Cameron said he had discussed Turkey’s accession to the EU during talks in Ankara on Tuesday afternoon with Ahmet Davutoglu, the Turkish Prime Minister.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-Turkey-to-join-EU-despite-migrant-fears.html

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I am quite amused about Turkey (and Macedonia etc etc) We are constantly told by Cameron and others that this is a vote for "generations", not for the short-term. So why are we not allowed to factor in the possibility of other candidate countries joining the EU? If it happens in 10 years or 30 years it's still relevant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok, fair question. Firstly over the years it has been clear that you and many left leaners do not trust Cameron, yet you put your trust in him over Turkey and other issues re the referendum. The same Cameron that stated we would not be affected if we left the EU....less than a year ago.
So on to Turkey..less than.a couple of years ago, recall?
"David Cameron: I still want Turkey to join EU, despite migrant fears
The Prime Minister says a European Union without Turkey is 'not stronger but weaker"
David Cameron has said that he still “very much supports” Turkey joining the European Union, despite his Government's inability to control numbers of EU migrants coming to the UK.

The Prime Minister was quizzed about his support for Turkey’s accession to the EU during a visit to Turkey to meet the country’s Prime Minister and President.

Mr Cameron said he had discussed Turkey’s accession to the EU during talks in Ankara on Tuesday afternoon with Ahmet Davutoglu, the Turkish Prime Minister.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-Turkey-to-join-EU-despite-migrant-fears.html

If it was down to Cameron on his own your argument might, just might, have some traction. But it isn't is it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here