Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old drinks

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Watneys red barell
Tamplins Bitter
brown and mild
cider and damson wine .. cider and cream de month .. oh wait that was only me on a sunday when the pubs opened late and shut at half ten...
piador the sh*t Frenh wine
Blue Nun
Wayneys Mild
Mild and bitter
Black Tower
Have we had Harp lager ?

as you can see a misspent youth

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
image.jpeg

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
what was that Alchol free lager called. Kalliba or some thing like that... what was the point of it ? tasted like gassy Sh*t.. oh wait thats' most lagers

el punal

We were just catching up on the soaps from holiday and in Corrie Mary asked for a Dubonnett and Lemonade and wife said shd hadnt served one of those for over 30 years. What other drinks have now vanished and not asked for anymore?

Having worked in the booze business for a large part of my life I have a pretty good recollection of drinks from a bygone era. So how about these :

Babycham, Cherry B, Snowball, Tio Pepe sherry, Whisky Mac (Scotch and Crabbie's ginger wine - lethal!), Port and lemon, Harvey Wallbanger, Blue Nun, Mateus Rose, Cinzano Bianco, Gin and orange, Woodpecker cider, Traffic Light (Cherry brandy, Pernod, and Creme de Menthe!!) . . . .

And then you have the "beers", the indescribable piss that we had to endure during the 1970s and 80s - Red Barrel, Starlight, Watneys Special (!!!), Double Diamond, Party 7 and Party 4 . . . to take to parties. Whitbread Tankard or as friend of mine used to call it Titbread Wankerd . . . really the list goes on and on.

P.S. It's Dubonnet . . . I used to work for the company that sold it! :)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
what was that Alchol free lager called. Kalliba or some thing like that... what was the point of it ? tasted like gassy Sh*t.. oh wait thats' most lagers
That was Kaliber.

On a similar theme we used to buy non-alcoholic Amstel in Saudi Arabia and turn it back to alcohol.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Remember them well, especially after bop night in the naafi, made a hell of a mess if drunk on an empty stomach :(

I remember purchasing a nice white Armani shirt back in the day....one night on the Snakebite and Black and it was ruined..Half a weeks wages...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Have we had Harp lager ?

Still disturbingly popular in Northern Ireland. Was generally withdrawn bar a few holdouts in ROI last year for a new "IPL" of sorts called Hop House 13 which is significantly better.

Kaliber, basically Harp boiled to take the alcohol out - or at least it tasted like it. Mostly killed by Becks NA I'd guess though it is also still available some places.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
20/20

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Vodka and some peach mixer. Was it called Prussian or something similar?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Not sure if this counts.
Played Sunday League football with a fella from Germany.
Wolfgang would ply us with peach schnapps at the end of a boozy evening 😁

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Guinness actually have a huge amount of failed products even within recent enough memory. When I started drinking, there was a "white Guinness" called Breo available which I remember quite liking. It was already basically dead at that time and vanished before I was actually 18.

There was also "Hudson Blue Ice Cider" which might have become what Magners did about ten years later, but didn't; "Toucan Brew" which was as far as I could tell, basically Guinness in a Duff/Duff Dry/Duff Lite style setup and a few other calamities. Kilkenny is basically gone here as its too similar to Smithwicks

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Used to enjoy a few pints of Kilkenny in the Fidlers Elbow in Boyces Street. Not been in for a few years so not sure it's still sold.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Diamond White and Mad Dog 2020. And for a very brief time in the late 80s/early 90s Newcastle Brown became inexplicably popular. I don't think I've seen anyone drink that for years.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Double Diamond
Watneys Red Barrel
Stingo
Merrydown Mead
Brown and mild

Double Diamond and Watneys Red Barrel both available at my local pub, don't know how but it is.
On route to the Goldstone from T Wells we used to stop off at The Five Bells in Chailey to fill up on Whitbread Pompey Royal, I remember at the time thinking it was alright, is it stil around.

Whitbread 'big head' Trophy Bitter.
Can you still get Hurlimann lager in Shepherd Neame pubs, we called it hooligans it made Stella taste like water.
I have not seen Rolling Rock in the supermarket for years.
Gold Label Barley Wine.
Cresta, it's frothy man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here