Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sponsored kids walk. Kids wanting money before the walk?!!!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's an 8 year old kid doing a school fund raiser. I cannot believe people are that worried about giving over £5 to help the local school whether she completes the damn walk or not! Good grief.

On the flip side, I reckon its not a bad thing that an 8 year old learns the lesson that you normally have to earn money before its paid. Not quite the same thing but if mine wanted some pocket money for some chores done or something, not a cat in hells chance would they get the money up front!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's an 8 year old kid doing a school fund raiser. I cannot believe people are that worried about giving over £5 to help the local school whether she completes the damn walk or not! Good grief.

So as well as paying for education through our taxes, we should pay more without question, even if no effort is put into said fundraising?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Weirdo alert :moo:

I work extremely long hours, often away from home for days/weeks at a time. The precious bit of free time I get I don't want taken up with charity callers, busybodies, salesmen etc. We live in a ge of mobile phones, if a friend wants to drop by spontaneosly they can call or text first. Simple.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So as well as paying for education through our taxes, we should pay more without question, even if no effort is put into said fundraising?

No, either politely decline to sponsor the girl, or say you'd love to contribute to the school fundraising and donate as you see fit. Making some big song and dance about her having to complete the event, then come back to get the fiver, no, that is just being cantankerous for the sake of it.

I did a sponsored run in 1983 or something and raised the most in my school, but even back then most people gave me the money there and then - not expecting a 9 year old to have to come back to collect it.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe the five mile walk was literally walking door to door fleecing people for £5 each.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I guess this is no different to using "Just Giving" and such sites. What happens when you sponsor some clown who has a fantastic idea to run a marathon, gets a loads of sponsorship, then realises as it's quire a lot of training so doesn't; bother?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No, either politely decline to sponsor the girl, or say you'd love to contribute to the school fundraising and donate as you see fit. Making some big song and dance about her having to complete the event, then come back to get the fiver, no, that is just being cantankerous for the sake of it.

I did a sponsored run in 1983 or something and raised the most in my school, but even back then most people gave me the money there and then - not expecting a 9 year old to have to come back to collect it.

But if she only completed 3 miles, the b1tch would have ripped him off £2.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I guess this is no different to using "Just Giving" and such sites. What happens when you sponsor some clown who has a fantastic idea to run a marathon, gets a loads of sponsorship, then realises as it's quire a lot of training so doesn't; bother?

At least its audited and the money goes straight to the charity

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
As for sponsoring some office monkey to have a jolly with their other mum friends cycling through Normandy "for cancer research", it's both wasteful and a con.

Yes, while Normandy is quite a long village, I still don't reckon it'd take more than ten minutes to cycle from one end to the other - quicker if you start at the Ash end as its all down hill.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

Is the right answer. Well said that man.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I work extremely long hours, often away from home for days/weeks at a time. The precious bit of free time I get I don't want taken up with charity callers, busybodies, salesmen etc. We live in a ge of mobile phones, if a friend wants to drop by spontaneosly they can call or text first. Simple.

This entirely. I don't open my front door to any unsolicited knocking when I'm home. If someone wants to see me they can make an appointment, or if it's friends, we arrange stuff in advance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have a rule of not opening the door to unexpected guests past 7 in the evening,

Who could be knocking on the door at THIS hour Edward?

Fear not Tubbs, I shall not be opening the door!

glasses-league-of-_3254418k.jpg

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm saddened it's so rife. Especially given the word sponsor has Latin roots in "to trust". More saddened that the I got it in the neck all evening.

"You're the man no kid wants to answer the door"

"Why are you in such a grumpy mood about it?"

"Does it matter, I mean really matter?!!"

Bear in kind I hadn't mentioned it since the kid left.

Have to laugh....Welcome to my World! :)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

That is not the point, if she had come back after and said she had only done 4 miles I'm sure she would have still got the 5 pounds, the OP never objected to the payment.

The principle is paying the sponsorship after doing / attempting to do the task, otherwise why bother having a task or objective or activity associated with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here