Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Receiving bank letters for 17k for a dead woman

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The bank would not keep it. It is not their property and it certainly isn't yours. The bank will know what to do - finding the executor of deceased estates is part of their daily routine. There are also companies out there that track down people to whom share certificates etc have been issued etc but moved away, so there are always ways and means.

The biggest question here is why it has taken your Dad 20 years to return a statement to the bank marked "Not known at this address - believed deceased" written on the envelope? It is free you know.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, is it 17k for the letter,17k for receiving the letters, or 17k for the dead woman ? I couldn't quite make it out from the thread title

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The bank would not keep it. It is not their property and it certainly isn't yours. The bank will know what to do - finding the executor of deceased estates is part of their daily routine. There are also companies out there that track down people to whom share certificates etc have been issued etc but moved away, so there are always ways and means.

The biggest question here is why it has taken your Dad 20 years to return a statement to the bank marked "Not known at this address - believed deceased" written on the envelope? It is free you know.

He sends the letter back every year... Just keeps coming back.
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has summed it up.. this thread i started for my afternoon amusement did not go so well...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
He sends the letter back every year... Just keeps coming back.
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has summed it up.. this thread i started for my afternoon amusement did not go so well...

It's not so bad mate...it has provoked some amusing posts.:) Though it's a bit disappointing I won't get at least a drink from your anticipated windfall. :down:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

We've been at our current house for 12 years and we're still getting bank statements for the previous owner. We have sent several back with "Gone away" and "Not known at this address" - they still keep coming. So, returning them to the bank doesn't help in any way.

But, yes, if you phone up the bank in question and explain the old lady has deceased, they will get someone on the case. When I worked at the Alliance, I had to track down beneficiaries of long-dormant accounts a few times - it's a simple enough process, provided there's a will. Don't know what happens if there's not - I never had that - but I imagine it could get messy

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
So my dad has been receiving a bank statement for the previous home owner with a bank balance of 17k. This has been going on every year for almost 20 years. I think originally the account amount was just under 10k. The old lady passed away in the late 90s. Obviously her family do not have a clue that this cash exists.

What is the best way I can get a slice of the good stuff :) bar dressing up as an old woman, walking into a bank and pretending to be her I was thinking maybe trying to track down her family and cut a deal?

Is there a legal way of not letting this juicy delicious cash fall into the banks coffers?

That sounds like a late aunt of mine. If you can just forward the statements on to me I'm sure I can look after this matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here