Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thee unofficial match day thread ****England v Wales****

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Euro 2016: England v Wales
Venue: Stade Felix Bollaert-Delelis, Lens Date: Thursday, 16 June Kick-off: 14:00 BST 1443291265519_lc_galleryImage_Rugby_Union_England_v_Wal.JPG

While the Welsh Dragon is firing after their first-ever European Championship match ended in a famous victory, England's young lions have been licking their wounds after their disappointing draw in Marseille.

Wales are the team carrying the momentum into this eagerly anticipated clash in Lens and their players have been bullish in press conferences this week. Gareth Bale declared himself very happy that the England camp reacted to his incendiary claims that Wales "have a got a lot more passion and pride" than England. "It's good that they bit," Bale said wryly. "

Both camps have been asked if this game will feel like a Premier League match, but four of Wales' starting XI against Slovakia didn't start an English top-flight match last season. England's team against Russia started 324 Premier League games compared to just 131 for Wales' (Gareth Bale excluded of course).

While the England and Wales rugby teams get to renew their fierce rivalry on a yearly basis, matches between their nation's football teams have become increasingly rare since the annual British Championship was disbanded in 1984.

That year, Wales beat England 1-0 courtesy of a goal from debutant Mark Hughes, and it remarkably remains the last goal and the last win they have recorded in this fixture.

Possible line-ups
England: Hart; Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose; Alli, Dier, Rooney; Lallana, Kane, Sterling.
Wales: Hennessey; Gunter, Chester, Williams, Davies, Taylor; Allen, Ledley; Ramsey, Bale; Robson-Kanu.

Coach quotes
Roy Hodgson, England manager
The derby atmosphere is great. Many people in England and Great Britain – perhaps even around the world – are looking forward to this game; the fact it is a game against brothers, if you like, adds spice, it adds interest and that is something I can only welcome. If anything it heightens the occasion rather than lessens it.
We don't expect changes in their style or personnel, or what they do when they do and don't have the ball. We won't be able to spring any surprises either. They know our players. Talk is talk and action on the field is action on the field. They are under less pressure to win the game because normally when you have won a game and three qualify, you are basically qualified the moment you win.

Gareth Bale agrees pressure is on England
Chris Coleman, Wales manager
We're ready. It's all about us taking care of our own business. If we're going to get through we're going to get through of our own accord. It's a big test and a big challenge for us. If we win we're there, but if we don't we have another chance. We've got a chance to do something a bit special. We can be confident, it's not the time for us to think we're something that we're not.
We've got to care of ourselves and not worry about the opposition, whoever they are. I'm more concerned with my lot than England. We can only concentrate on ourselves. I'm not disrespecting England by saying it's just another game. We have to make sure the occasion doesn't get the better of us, I will be making sure my players remain calm and focused. There's a lot more pressure and expectancy on England, but our pressure comes from within the group.

The history of this fixture makes England favourites but as Hodgson says, it is his own team who enter the contest under pressure after dropping two points late on against Russia. It seems unlikely Hodgson will change too much given the positives of England's display last Saturday and he will be hoping for another strong showing from his full-backs, Kyle Walker and Danny Rose, who could have a key role in stretching the Wales rearguard and creating space for England's forwards and midfield runners.
Mark Pitman, Wales (@UEFAcomMarkP)
Coleman has been waiting on the fitness of first-choice goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey, who suffered a back spasm which kept him out of the opening game. Meanwhile, Joe Ledley continues his return to full fitness and could be drafted into the starting line-up. The same applies to striker Hal Robson-Kanu, and while the decision to name him on the bench against Slovakia was a tactical one, his winning goal could put him in contention to start against England.

Form guide (all competitions, most recent first)
England: DWWWLWWLWW
Wales: WLLDLWLDWW

Did you know?
Wales have never before reached a UEFA European Championship final tournament. Their previous best came in 1976, when they lost to Yugoslavia 3-1 on aggregate in the quarter-finals, losing the first leg 2-0 in Zagreb before a 1-1 draw in Cardiff

Head-to-head

This will be the 102nd time that England and Wales have played each other, although this is the first time they have met in the finals of a major tournament.
England have won 66 matches, Wales 14 and there have been 21 draws.
Wales have not beaten England since a 1-0 victory in Wrexham on 2 May 1984, when Mark Hughes scored the only goal on his debut.
England have won the last four games between the countries without conceding a goal. They triumphed 2-0 at home and 1-0 away during qualifying for the 2006 World Cup, and then won 2-0 away and 1-0 at home in qualifying for Euro 2012. Ashley Young was the last player to score in the fixture.
Wales manager Chris Coleman made just one appearance under current England manager Roy Hodgson at Blackburn Rovers in 1997-98.
Coleman and Hodgson have both managed Fulham and had spells as players at Crystal Palace.
England

England had not lost over 90 or 120 minutes in 23 European Championship fixtures, going back to a 3-2 defeat by Croatia in November 2007.
Roy Hodgson's side won all ten of their Euro 2016 qualifiers, making them just the sixth team to achieve the feat, after France (1992, 2004), Czech Republic (2000) and Germany and Spain (both 2012).
This is only the second time England will face another country from the UK in a major tournament, they won the first 2-0 against Scotland at Euro 1996.
England mustered nine shots against Russia in the first-half, which is the most they have managed in the opening 45 minutes during a Euros final match since they had 11 against Croatia in 2004.
At 25 years and 293 days, England's starting 11 against Russia was their second-youngest ever at a major finals after a 2002 World Cup match with Sweden (25y 206d).
England have failed to score more than once in 13 of their last 14 matches at major tournaments.
Against Russia, Eric Dier became the eighth Tottenham player to score at a major tournament for England, more than any other club.

Attachments

• englandvwales.jpg
    englandvwales.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 455

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
England are going to win with ease.

They can go on about having the better players, but it is simply not true.

Bale aside there is nothing in the Welsh side we should worry about.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
England are going to win with ease.

They can go on about having the better players, but it is simply not true.

Bale aside there is nothing in the Welsh side we should worry about.

It's not Wales I'm worried about, it's the England football team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've bunged a compensation fiver on Wales, but I am fully expecting this England team to tear the gobby Welsh a new one.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've bunged a compensation fiver on Wales, but I am fully expecting this England team to tear the gobby Welsh a new one.

"When asked which England players would get into Wales’s side Bale was clear. “None,”

Danny Rose minutes at Spurs in the PL this season - 2132
Ben Davies - 1288

Rose was injured was a few games as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"When asked which England players would get into Wales’s side Bale was clear. “None,”

Ben Davies - 1288

Pretty sure he wasn't being serious. It's just a bit of pre-match panto.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Ben Davies - 1288

What's he supposed to say? "Well obviously Ben Davies wouldn't get a look in and no-one can honestly say that Neil Taylor would stand a chance but the rest of them..? No hang on, I'd forgotten Chris Gunter is average at best and James Chester couldn't get into a woeful WBA team but we've got three Palace players and they are in Europe next year..what? Oh! Anyway, I'd get in and Aaron might make the bench..."

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What's he supposed to say? "Well obviously Ben Davies wouldn't get a look in and no-one can honestly say that Neil Taylor would stand a chance but the rest of them..? No hang on, I'd forgotten Chris Gunter is average at best and James Chester couldn't get into a woeful WBA team but we've got three Palace players and they are in Europe next year..what? Oh! Anyway, I'd get in and Aaron might make the bench..."

He was only asked this question because he was mouthing off.

He's done our pre match talk for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously we all want and expect an England win but all is not lost if it is a draw we will just have to beat Solvakia to qualify. Possibly Russia will save face and beat Wales.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Gonna stick my neck out here. I firmly believe that we will give Wales a damned good thrashing. Just don't give away and free-kicks about 20 yards out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here