Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freedom for Tooting

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
The original but not in all.

Still acting at the age of 93 - last seen in GoT.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891092/

Recently rewatched "Our Friends In the North" where Peter Vaughan played Felix Hutchinson, the aging Jarrow Marcher. He put in a towering performance, but then there were a lot of those in his 222 credits over the years...

The extraordary thing about Grouty was that he was only in 3 episodes but dominated the entire prison.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You've hit the nail on the head , no, they're not that foreign and share a broadly similar culture to us , the pakistanis, in tooting, dont .

PS i'd love to have put you in the Castle in the 80's , you'd have dropped your bag of curried guava in a nano second in your haste to get out.

The 80's was thity years ago mate, its time to move on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They'd be screaming blue murder , those that make me laugh the most are the ones that move from Sussex to London and when they move back to Sussex wear it like some sort of right on badge of honour that it qualifies them to comment to people who have seen THE AREA THEY GREW UP IN totally change , well it doesn't , when brighton/Sussex experiences the changes london has then they might be able to talk on the same level.

Then everyone will move to Haywards Heath and it will be full of people banging on about the good old days of the 80's (sorry early 80's..... welll specifically 1982..........March it was)when everyone was the same colour and kicking the shit out of each other in the pub. :lolol::lolol:

I have just read through this thread and seen to two arguments for and against. For is the it is a vibrant community with lots going on and many nice restaurants and shops (tool shops???). Your argunment against is that things have changed from when you could get your head kicked in in the early 80's.

I know which sounds better to me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I had my shopping nicked in there.

Luckily it was just Sainsburys as I usually shop in Waitrose.

Ahh the good old days when we used to nick each others shopping, see this is the problem some people just won't assimilate to our culture.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ahh the good old days when we used to nick each others shopping, see this is the problem some people just won't assimilate to our culture.

I'd like to think it was a service to the community. Oddly the place was packed with Estate Agents that night.

The bag had a couple of bottles of wine and toilet roll. Someone drunk probably thought f### going to the shops I can have a drink when I get in and a s### in the morning.

.. which was exactly my plan which is nice.

Went to the manager (not to complain) to warn him there was an alcoholic with irritable bowel syndrome on the prowl. He got very emotional and proceeded to tell me about the garden gnomes that gone missing from the beer garden over the years.

I still go in there but it's generally more normal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Recently rewatched "Our Friends In the North" where Peter Vaughan played Felix Hutchinson, the aging Jarrow Marcher. He put in a towering performance, but then there were a lot of those in his 222 credits over the years...

The extraordary thing about Grouty was that he was only in 3 episodes but dominated the entire prison.

I heard there was a worry about the gentrification of Putney. They've been debating the issue long enough......

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...many nice restaurants and shops

Screwfix.

Don't buy their own brand "Henry" clone.

I bought it on the basis it was cheaper and had a blow function as well as suck.

When I got it home I realised I had no need for the blow function beyond possible making a bingo machine.

It stopped working within a year.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The original but not in all.

Still acting at the age of 93 - last seen in GoT.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891092/

Actor Peter Vaughan. Met him in a Chinese in Crawley in 1999. He was with friends so I didn't intrude too much. Just copped him a wink and said 'nice one Grouty'. Chinked a glass of Chablis with him and left him alone. Gave me an initial warning look as if to say '**** off muppet' but warmed up a bit when he saw my missus's rack. :thumbsup: Nice bloke.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Then everyone will move to Haywards Heath and it will be full of people banging on about the good old days of the 80's (sorry early 80's..... welll specifically 1982..........March it was)when everyone was the same colour and kicking the shit out of each other in the pub. :lolol::lolol:

I have just read through this thread and seen to two arguments for and against. For is the it is a vibrant community with lots going on and many nice restaurants and shops (tool shops???). Your argunment against is that things have changed from when you could get your head kicked in in the early 80's.

I know which sounds better to me.
It was a vibrant community before the likes of clapham gull moved in, you dont need lots of overpriced restaurants for that , now its a ''vibrant'' community for the likes of clapham gull who move up from sussex and think its oh so thrilling that they live next door to a 'dude' from karachi ,or that 27 different languages are spoken in the local primary school, funnily enough most of the locals who have family roots going back generations arent quite so happy at this new ''vibrancy''.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was a vibrant community before the likes of clapham gull moved in, you dont need lots of overpriced restaurants for that , now its a ''vibrant'' community for the likes of clapham gull who move up from sussex and think its oh so thrilling that they live next door to a 'dude' from karachi ,or that 27 different languages are spoken in the local primary school, funnily enough most of the locals who have family roots going back generations arent quite so happy at this new ''vibrancy''.

So apart from going down The Castle and getting your head kicked in what were the good things about living in Tooting in the glory days of the early 80's?

I wonder if you can answer this question without banging on about the cliched generalisations you included in this post. Because lets face it you wouldn't need to live there to come up with such tripe, you could easily do that from a leafy Sussex Enclave like, say, Haywards Heath.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Haywards Heath...DIck Turpin, 'nuff said

So apart from going down The Castle and getting your head kicked in what were the good things about living in Tooting in the glory days of the early 80's?

I wonder if you can answer this question without banging on about the cliched generalisations you included in this post. Because lets face it you wouldn't need to live there to come up with such tripe, you could easily do that from a leafy Sussex Enclave like, say, Haywards Heath.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Jesus Christ.

Tell you what. I'd much rather live in a part of London surrounded by people of as many different cultures as you like, rather than a bunch of miserable old blinkered white racists convinced it was better in the 1950s before the boat came in.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Jesus Christ.

Tell you what. I'd much rather live in a part of London surrounded by people of as many different cultures as you like, rather than a bunch of miserable old blinkered white racists convinced it was better in the 1950s before the boat came in.
what part of london do you live in now ?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
what part of london do you live in now ?

Why are you bothering. You are talking to people who think that a few poncey wine bars and restaurants is the sign of a good area. High house prices do not equate to an overall high standard of living. Most of the people accusing you of being a racist I would wager think themselves as trendy and multicultural etc. All the time ignoring the effect of uncontrolled immigration. It's a pointless argument you are trying to have, as they will just throw the racist card at you.
To sum up, Tooting is a shithole!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Why are you bothering. You are talking to people who think that a few poncey wine bars and restaurants is the sign of a good area. High house prices do not equate to an overall high standard of living. Most of the people accusing you of being a racist I would wager think themselves as trendy and multicultural etc. All the time ignoring the effect of uncontrolled immigration. It's a pointless argument you are trying to have, as they will just throw the racist card at you.
To sum up, Tooting is a shithole!

Bushey is an archetypal racist and would be more upset if people did not recognise this fact. Another thread ruined by small minded bigots.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was a vibrant community before the likes of clapham gull moved in

I do my bit.

I moved here from Warrington and my neighbour is from Surrey.:clap:

Old woman over the road has been here since the 50s.

The odd thing about this thread is I don't live in Tooting....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here