Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freedom for Tooting

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I was born and grew up in Tooting , its a shithole now , you could just as well be in Karachi as London.

They don't have a Mixed Blessings Carribean Bakery in Karachi. Or two of the finest English pie shops in the country. Or a hipster "Chicken Shop".

For me the main issue is too many Chelsea shirts.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Have to agree with those who say Tooting is a shithole, horrible place. Then again all London is going that way, welcome to Europe.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Anyone else live in this magnificent part of South London?

Today is the day comrades, rise up and throw off your shackles!

citizensmith.jpg

Lived there for a couple of years and still have the flat. Enjoyed Tooting, a real place

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was born and grew up in Tooting , its a shithole now , you could just as well be in Karachi as London.

In my opinion better since the racist, working class, Chelsea, Bushy types were priced out of the area in the 80's.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I live a mile away in Balham but the restaurants in Tooting are much better, especially if you like authentic south Asian cuisine.
Also some good pubs. Check out Jaffna House (hot Sri Lankan Tamil), Saravana Bhavan (South Indian), Lahore Karahi, The Little Taperia, The Antelope, The Selkirk.

And even had a chance to vote for a Monster Raving Loony today - Howling Laud Hope!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Have to agree with those who say Tooting is a shithole, horrible place. Then again all London is going that way, welcome to Europe.

Cast iron bullshit. Anyone who thinks Tooting is a shithole must have brought up in Belgravia.

As if there was this "golden age" before the immigrants moved in.

I'm there all the time live without walking distance. Not down there buying Organic curried guava, there is a handy screwfix and a Wilkinson. The HSBC opens on Saturday which mine doesn't.

Laughable some people's view of London. I've lived here 20 years. Not in Clapham for years though. Walking distance from Tooting near Balham station.

You should see the house prices down there. I've got a mate sitting on a 750,000 pile.

Shit hole ? Complete bollocks.

Funny how no one mentions "little Portugal" between Stockwell and Vauxhall. That is a bit ropey round there, but of course not that foreign are they ?

Between Balham and Tooting is a huge Polish community who came over during the war (sorry UKIP) even some of the streets have Polish names. That doesn't fit the argument does it ?

Safe as houses in Tooting with its very posh middle class pubs like The Castle and it's pretentious tapas bars.

I've Balham completely gentrify over the last 20 years and it's happening down there. Clapham has just turned into bars so I had to leave.

Last edited:

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Cast iron bullshit. Anyone who thinks Tooting is a shithole must have brought up in Belgravia.

As if there was this "golden age" before the immigrants moved in.

I'm there all the time, live without walking distance. Not down there buying Organic curried guava, there is a handy screwfix and a Wilkinson. The HSBC opens on Saturday which mine doesn't.

Laughable some people's view of London. You should see the house prices down there. I've got a mate sitting on a 750,000 pile.

Shit hole. Complete bollocks.

So you are trying to tell me about London, South London at that. Expensive house prices does not make it a nice area. But a screwfix and a Wilkinson's you say? Wow, I take it all back.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So you are trying to tell me about London, South London at that. Expensive house prices does not make it a nice area. But a screwfix and a Wilkinson's you say? Wow, I take it all back.

I've lived here 20 years. Sorry I didn't witness the blitz or pay the Richardsons once a month not to burn down my pawn shop.

They was rickets on my street mate, all gone it is, all gone.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Toolstation man ? Fair enough.

Your problem is that it is was a white working class place that saw huge immigration because it was a cheap rough bit of London. Like most places in London it's quickly becoming an expensive place for white middle class place to live priced out by Clapham and Balham.

(Priced out to buy a half million 2 bed flat)

Fair enough it's full of Asian shops but they are closing down to be replaced by the sort of places that I'd imagine you feel comfortable in. Off the high street you should see the house prices. It's the new Balham (sorry I've obviously ****ed that place up for the natives, I should have stayed in Hastings)

I piss myself when I read the bushyisms about Tooting. Piss myself.

Last edited:

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I'm struggling to see any definition of "shithole" here other than "too many darkies".

Here we go, everyone must be a racist. My girlfriend and friends are 'darkies', whom I consider as English as myself. Just because I don't want to live somewhere overrun with foreigners does not make me a racist. It puts pressure on schools, transport, NHS etc. Not to mention keeps the rents far to high for most Londoners.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Toolstation man ? Fair enough.

Your problem is that it is was a white working class place that saw huge immigration because it was a cheap rough bit of London. Like most places in London it's quickly becoming an expensive place for white middle class place to live priced out by Clapham and Balham.

(Priced out to buy a half million 2 bed flat)

Fair enough it's full of Asian shops but they are closing down to be replaced by the sort of places that I'd imagine you feel comfortable in. Off the high street you should see the house prices. It's the new Balham (sorry I've obviously ****ed that place up for the natives, I should have stayed in Hastings)

I piss myself when I read the bushyisms about Tooting. Piss myself.

What are the sort of places you think I would feel comfortable in out of interest?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Here we go, everyone must be a racist. My girlfriend and friends are 'darkies', whom I consider as English as myself. Just because I don't want to live somewhere overrun with foreigners does not make me a racist. It puts pressure on schools, transport, NHS etc. Not to mention keeps the rents far to high for most Londoners.

I'm a Londoner.

Is your argument against Europe or the Asian population in Tooting ? Because your argument is confused. Is Tooting struggling from immigration from Europe because that's a new one on me. It's a ******* to get a doctor's appointment round here but it has been for years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here