Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you like on your toast?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I have just, after many years abstinence, rediscovered the childish joy of tinned spaghetti on toast.

I think that gives me a mental age of about six :lol:

If I'm being grown up, cheese.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So many options, with this one.

Poached eggs, with spinach or ham or nothing, sometimes also accompanied with hollandaise, if not just salt and pepper
Fried eggs, only with a fry up, but always on toast.
Scrambled eggs cooked with so much butter you do not NEED to butter the toast, though I probably still will.
Butter and marmite, or marmalade, or peanut butter, or even if it is really nice bread just butter.
Smoked mackerel mixed with parmesan cheese, creme fraiche, more cheese on top under the grill.
Cheddar with marmite, or worcester sauce, or truffle oil under the grill. Sometimes with ketchup too.
Grilled or fried flat mushrooms, some garlic whilst frying, mushroom ketchup on top, or some melty foreign cheese, like taleggio or something.

I think that is it, may be more along in a bit.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I have just, after many years abstinence, rediscovered the childish joy of tinned spaghetti on toast.

I think that gives me a mental age of about six :lol:

If I'm being grown up, cheese.

Oh yes, that has reminded me of a few more.

Tinned Heinz ravioli with some cheese melted on top
Tinned Macaroni cheese

I know both of these are very wrong, but like you they remind me of my childhood.

Further tinned items to be put on toast are pilchards and those tinned chilli con carnes that are always way better than you think they might be.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Depends on the situation.

Rish for work - Butter and marmite BUT only if I get the two on within 1 minute of the toast popping up. If it's not applied when EL SCORCHIO then the toast is binned and I start again.

Got time? Sure. That's 4 slowly scrambled eggs with LASHINGS of butter and pepper. Toast must again be buttered, somnetimes marmite if treating myself

Wintery wet Sunday - Extra Mature melted cheddar with Worcester Sauce. Again, Marmite will make an appearance as a base layer if I really fancy it.[/QUO

Like Marmite do you?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Toast has to be white bread, either sliced nice and thick from a fresh crusty loaf or warburtons toastie.
It must be just brown, not floppy or dark brown/black.
A nice coating of butter, some sardines in tomato sauce and a sprinkling of pepper.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm glad you put an 'or' in there.

Kippers though ? You practically have to perform surgery on them before you can risk putting any in your mouth. Its like eating a pin cushion.

With the patient on the plate in front of you, insert your scalpel under the backbone at either end and slowly lift it up. Grip the bone between thumb and first finger and slowly lift up and forward. The spine and all relevant attached bones will lift up leaving just the flesh, but a few bones will remain so you must continue to take care.
Grilling the kipper with plenty of butter helps to perform this operation successfully as the flesh will be softer.

I love kippers, but you can burp and taste them for days, a while ago i heard the remedy for this but i just cannot remember what it was, does anyone know?

D

Deleted member 2719

i like scrambled eggs or fried eggs

Melting butter and a scraping of marmite for a little salt hit on multi-seed slice :)

Come on man get a grip, days away from the biggest vote ever and your on about toast.

Thick cut marmalade on nearly burnt toast. :drool:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Nobody has yet mentioned marmalade. I'm currently consuming a nice slice of toast and Tiptree Old Times Orange.

I was just going to post either Marmite or quality marmalade - Tiptree or Frank Cooper thick cut stuff.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here