Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there too much INTER MINGLING going on at the EURO ?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
If I remember correctly,whilst watching Algeria play a game in the 2014 World Cup Finals the commentator said none of their players were actually born in Algeria.
Sterling wasn't born in the UK.Owen Hargreaves.

Taking it to other sports,Zola Budd,Greg Rusedski.Chris Froome is treated like a British hero although I believe he's never even lived in the UK.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'd like more inter mingling in the English team couple of Germans..maybe five for penalties...French and so on...chuck in the odd home player for appearance sake....might win something

Bit like a Premier League squad then?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If you're BORN where you're BORN that is who you are , so why are so many FOREIGNERS playing for different countries ? The Xhaka brothers are playing for different countries FFS, what is that all about ?

World Football will mean NOTHING soon if all this PICKING who you play for CARRIES on ? Why are they allowed to INTERMINGLE like the GERMAN playing for RUSSIA last night, he's played for Germany so that is that ?

I'm SICKENED by it.

ENREST, please don't take on so, try to have the courage try to get hold of yourself.

It's clear to everyone but you, it's time for you to throw off those parochial shackles binding you to petty nationality and blinding you to your destiny. You of all people should have the resolve to embrace your true self; stand tall, unfettered by ethnocentrism. As your hero Socrates wrote "I am not an Athenian or a Greek but a citizen of the world". You know it in your heart to be true. And yet, more than that, you are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

Just give up your lifelong inner struggle and set yourself free, a proud citizen of the world.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When Nigel Farage becomes PRIME Minister this will all END

And he'll outlaw breastfeeding in PUBLIC when the country sees SENSE, and elects him Fuhrer, because public school educated former stockbroker man of the PEOPLE Nige knows Nork are for ogling, not feeding.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
With mass migration to the UK, the England squad in 10 years could be riddled with names from all over the world.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Roy Wegerle - Born in South Africa, eligible for all 4 home nations as well but played for The USA because of his American wife.

The Northampton egg carrier Budge Pountney. Born and grew up in England, he played for Scotland because he had a grandmother born in the Channel Islands.

Owen Hargreaves was eligible for Germany through residency, Canada through birth and England or Wales through parents.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I was born in Germany, but grew up in England with a half French, half Italian dad and half Spanish, half Portuguese mum, would I be eligible to play for all six countries?

I know Januzaj was rumoured to have the option of FIVE countries to pick from, although I think some turned out to be untrue.

You would definitely qualify for France, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Despite the suggestion in the OP that the only criteria should be 'birth-country', being born somewhere does NOT necessarily guarantee a right to citizenship. But probably you'd qualify for Germany. As for England - you'd have to clarify 'grew up in' - but assuming it was for more than six years, and you'd not previously represented another nation (obviously!) then probably England, too.

Adnan Januzaj is a different case entirely, as he is Kosovan, and at the time of those discussions 'his' nation didn't exist in FIFA's eyes. Being effectively 'stateless' in a football sense changes some of the criteria.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good grief. Enrest is taking the piss out of the NSC community with this post. He is laughing cruelly at the earnest replies from everyone. And then throwing even more fuel on the fire with the occasional interjection. Enrest, I appreciate you're bored during the 'close season', but this is a little bit malicious, don't you think?

Unless you are prepared to post copies of your birth certificate, and that of your parents, and their parent's parents, with addresses where lived, I suggest that you are not truly English (by your method of accounting) nor certainly 'Sussex'. Just a little shit stirring cheeky monkey. As I said before, stick to the comedy that makes us laugh, and sto taking the piss.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For all the tripe that Ernest talks I actually think he has a point on this one. If you can only play for the country of your birth it would end all of these shenanigans once and for all

So lets assume you are born with both parents being English but the father is in the services and the mother joins him on his posting to Malta. You are borh in Malta during this posting but within 6 months the family return to England and you are brought up in England and hold a UK passport. Why in your view is it only possible to represent Malta.
There will be many other examples onf where it is logical to represent a country other than the one of your birth.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
So lets assume you are born with both parents being English but the father is in the services and the mother joins him on his posting to Malta. You are borh in Malta during this posting but within 6 months the family return to England and you are brought up in England and hold a UK passport. Why in your view is it only possible to represent Malta.
There will be many other examples onf where it is logical to represent a country other than the one of your birth.

On the upside, you're far more likely to be selected! :)

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

The mother could go back to England to give birth if she so wished although that isn't really relevant. If we want a simple system that could not be abused then only being able to play for the country of your birth seems to be the only solution.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
France are notorious for it - 8 of the 11 players who played for France in the 1998 WC final weren't actually French - including one who was actually born in France but never regarded himself as French - Lizarzu who is Basque.

People can complain about this all they want - but it is common and has been for decades - not just in soccer. These days it tends to be more dictated by money. A case in point is Aston Villa's Jack Grealish - Grealish has represented Ireland since U-14 yet has declared for England, and did so because an agent told him that he would double his income (and his transfer value) by playing for England instead of Ireland. Indeed it has reached preposterous proportions in athletics where many countries in Europe are paying African athletes to take out citizenship in order to try and win Olympic medals.

France certainly have taken advantage of the rules but the 1998 World Cup winning side is a myth. Of the starting eleven, only Desailly was not born in France and he moved there when he was four.

It's ridiculous to claim Lizarazu is not French. It would be like saying someone from Cornwall shouldn't play for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here