West Sussex
By West Worthing crossing. [emoji2]
9e63cde0b7f2171fa933da13d7f30df2.jpg

44c43e35e3c73cd88456e61ff95e2d5d.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As per a post in the craft beer thread, these 'shops' are opening up monthly in Burton (the home of brewing). In many there is no bar, just table service with ales, ciders and wine. No spirits because of the license law. Tempted myself as I have a pal who has a personal license and I have my exam passes. Just need the right spot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As per a post in the craft beer thread, these 'shops' are opening up monthly in Burton (the home of brewing). In many there is no bar, just table service with ales, ciders and wine. No spirits because of the license law. Tempted myself as I have a pal who has a personal license and I have my exam passes. Just need the right spot.
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I visited Anchored in Worthing a few weeks back. Sounds like the same sort of thing. Teeny tiny. The chap tells you what he has on, you make your choice and then he disappears around the back to get it for you.

http://www.anchoredinworthing.co.uk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
That's good timing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is ironical that these small places keep opening but traditional pubs are closing at the rate of 10 a week nationally could it be down to the size of the premises and the overheads involved with rent etc.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It is ironical that these small places keep opening but traditional pubs are closing at the rate of 10 a week nationally could it be down to the size of the premises and the overheads involved with rent etc.

Or the fact that landlords are forced to purchase stuff that they can get half price elsewhere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think I these smashing little ale houses will be the saving of British public drinking. Hope it's not just a fly by night trend.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or the fact that landlords are forced to purchase stuff that they can get half price elsewhere.

There are still plenty of pubs to rent from the big companies free of tie so although that is a point it isnt the complete reason for the closures. Years ago JDW went the opposite way and bought or rented large old shops like Courts Furnishers or even cinemas and converted them to large pubs catering for crowds and volume turnover but for the small man this is a way into the market. The major brewers/ pub companies came up with this great idea that the floor space of pubs should be charged rent as per offices etc, great in principle but not practical, that is what caused the downfall of pubs because you have a lot of wasted floor space that can never be fully utilized due to licensing laws as to occupancy etc.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Brewers moved from maintenance rents when most tenants had a Jag or Roller in the car park, then went to Good Average Tenant trade, if only tenants hadn't accepted impossible rents then the rents would have remained sensible.

There are still plenty of pubs to rent from the big companies free of tie so although that is a point it isnt the complete reason for the closures. Years ago JDW went the opposite way and bought or rented large old shops like Courts Furnishers or even cinemas and converted them to large pubs catering for crowds and volume turnover but for the small man this is a way into the market. The major brewers/ pub companies came up with this great idea that the floor space of pubs should be charged rent as per offices etc, great in principle but not practical, that is what caused the downfall of pubs because you have a lot of wasted floor space that can never be fully utilized due to licensing laws as to occupancy etc.

Yoda

English & European

Well, on the plus side from that, The Castle at the bottom of Broadwater Bridge is re-opening in a months time & staying as an Ale House.
13241107_1003932983037163_2190218489895794110_n.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think I these smashing little ale houses will be the saving of British public drinking. Hope it's not just a fly by night trend.

Completely agree. We have several near where I live in Sheffield and they are great. Don't think it's a FBN thing as one has been open for over a year and is always busy. My favourite bar actually.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brewers moved from maintenance rents when most tenants had a Jag or Roller in the car park, then went to Good Average Tenant trade, if only tenants hadn't accepted impossible rents then the rents would have remained sensible.

Unfortunately most didnt have a choice in the late 80s it started with INntrepeneur who said your new rent will be
X amount sign the agreement or leave within 6 months. I was heavily involved with NAIL ( National Association of INtrepeneur Lesees) which was formed try to protect lessees. We had many examples of bNkruptcy and even suicide through these university trained whizz kids. Typically my rent with Watneys increased from £13600 pa to £36400 when it came under the rule of Inntrepeneur and this was typical of many publicans businesses.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The 'pub' we visited in Burton complained at £700 week rent whereas the micropub was paying out £200 a week all in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here