Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matej Vydra

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
User Name

After the January transfer window, we were the most prolific team (I feel anyway - not checked stats). We ended up joint top scorers, but conceded more than the other sides in the top 4. If we'd had Knocky all season, we would have won the league IMO.

This season, we have the best goal difference in the league so far, but we're still not scoring enough in your opinion.

I'd say the facts speak more than any emotional rant by a few fans. Yes, another options would be good, but Zamora only scored 7 I believe last season and was not available for a lot of games. Murray is a better option then Bobby (not saying he's a better player than Bobby was in the past).

Agree. Murray will score more than Zamora and Wilson combined so we're already up on last season - plus we have Knockaert for the whole campaign (hopefully). One more striker would really thrust us into automatic promotion contention but ridiculous for people to say we have no chance without one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
we'll be signing another striker before wednesday night.

I doubt it will be Vydra.

Derby , on the other hand...
's
It wont be Michu who was available for a long time if somebody was prepared to take a chance on his fitness and the team that has is his home town club of Oviedo in Spain's 2nd Division.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Most of us do but the man who decides obviously doesnt and who are we to argue.
I thought it was clear that Chris did want him here a year ago? Maybe Chris doesn't want to spend £7m on him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't think he'd fit in here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll go so far as to say without this illusive striker, the £4m (or whatever) spent on Duffy will be completely wasted.
Partly agree (I wouldn't go as far as 'wasted', but I agree that's it's weird spending that much on a defender if we're not also planning to spend a decent amount on a striker).
It'll be impossible to reach the play-offs, let alone promotion with just Murray, Hemed and Baldock.
Disagree. That's just silly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Like some other posters I expect our record fee to be broken before Wednesday. It is however possible that iot could be another Vydra type player from Eastern Europe brought in a la Skalak. Nobody had even heard or mentioned him or indeed Hemed.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
After the January transfer window, we were the most prolific team (I feel anyway - not checked stats). We ended up joint top scorers, but conceded more than the other sides in the top 4. If we'd had Knocky all season, we would have won the league IMO.

This season, we have the best goal difference in the league so far, but we're still not scoring enough in your opinion.

I'd say the facts speak more than any emotional rant by a few fans. Yes, another options would be good, but Zamora only scored 7 I believe last season and was not available for a lot of games. Murray is a better option then Bobby (not saying he's a better player than Bobby was in the past).

Wilson's goals got us 10+ points last season.

We could bring in another loan, or purchase on the cheap an unproven player just to fill the 4th spot and you could be right, this may be enough to get us promoted if we look at January-May as testament. I don't think TB or CH will want to take that risk though. What if Murray gets injured?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disagree. That's just silly.
I'll happily walk that back if you can guarantee an injury free season for Hemed, Murray and Baldock.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like some other posters I expect our record fee to be broken before Wednesday. It is however possible that iot could be another Vydra type player from Eastern Europe brought in a la Skalak. Nobody had even heard or mentioned him or indeed Hemed.

I think you'll find I mentioned Hemed 18 months before he signed.

Which I guess is difficult for some to comprehend as at that time he'd never played for or against the Albion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It didnt register as it was just a name thrown in who most had never heard of. Do not know how long we had been after him for We chased Ulloa for 2 years apparently so perhaps they have another one lined up to come in in the next couple of days although I would doubt it as I would have expected it to happen by now if it was somebody from abroad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's bollox because all those desperate for it to happen are basing it on Vydra ripping Adam El Abd a new one over Christmas, and a couple of other fortunate goals against us.

He is the reverse Rhodes, plays great against us, but shitehouse everywhere else.
Assuming he moves, he's going to be at his 5 club in 5 years with ever decreasing returns from each move.

Had he no run past El Abd with ease, all those years ago, this thread would have been 4 posts long.
I should have added:-

and all the while, inexplicably, his market value seems to have increased. :shrug:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Why would the timing be different if it was a player from abroad negotiations can be just as difficult and the transfer windows end around the same time

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We need 4 strikers, just like we needed 4 central defenders. This is the Championship, and we cannot be complacent if we want a top 2 finish (which we do). Talk of trying to get by with Muzza, Tomer and Sam is nonsense, and Tony et al know this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why would the timing be different if it was a player from abroad negotiations can be just as difficult and the transfer windows end around the same time

I would think the options for a uk based player are better for the agent to explore than a player wanting to come to England to play as per Skalak. and Hemed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll happily walk that back if you can guarantee an injury free season for Hemed, Murray and Baldock.
Our 3 lead strikers didn't have an injury free season last year. If we don't get another striker (and I very much hope we do) we'll be odds on to finish in the top 6. We're currently 2-1 on to finish top 6, but you're saying it will be IMPOSSIBLE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our 3 lead strikers didn't have an injury free season last year. If we don't get another striker (and I very much hope we do) we'll be odds on to finish in the top 6. We're currently 2-1 on to finish top 6, but you're saying it will be IMPOSSIBLE.

I do believe top 6 will be IMPOSSIBLE for any club to achieve with only 3 first team strikers.
That's even before considering the similar nature of Murray and Hemed, and the fragile nature of their conduit.

All of this goes away when the club buy the player they are clearly after.

But if that gets Norwiched at the 11th hour leaving the club with nobody, I have no idea where any confidence comes from.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
having a medical at Derby...

thats 6 or more strikers for them then.

Bent, Wilson, Weimann, Blackman, Martin and Vydra. (have i missed any ?)

[tweet]769509970228502528[/tweet]

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
He's just said cheerio to Watford fans on Twatter.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It doesn't matter where we are signing a player from, the deal has to be completed by the deadline close on August 31st, even if the window remains open in the country the player is signing from. We could potentially sell a player after our window closes if the window is still open for the buying club.

The only thing likely to take longer with signing a player from abroad, or a club registered with the Welsh FA, is international clearance. This doesn't have to be received by the close of the window though. It just means that the players debut will be delayed until it is received.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here