Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gardens.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Here's a picture of my garden, it won't help you much, but I like it.

c13b8d87f16636c547a424133270520c.jpg

Sent from the boot of Lingard

It's a sun trap, the trees are trapping the sun outside your garden.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As slight aside, when I look out of my upstairs back window, I am AMAZED at how some people value their gardens, or rather don't. I'm not saying mine is like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but I've done a fair bit with it, putting borders and plants in, woodchip, solar lights, keeping the lawn mowed, bushes trimmed, the fences and shed coated and maintained etc. Its not big, but its neat and tidy, and is a place I value and treasure to spend quality time outdoors in.

The two adjacent to me are ok (although they've elected to concrete them over, which I would never do). But further up and down the row of houses, SOME of those gardens are an absolute disgrace. Overgrown, unkempt, junk everywhere, crappy fences. I mean what is wrong with these people ? Their own personal space to do whatever they want with, but some of them choose to do.....nothing. Except just let it get overgrown. Some poor sods are stuck in flats and don't even have the luxury of some outdoor space of their own, yet others who are lucky enough to have it, do nothing with it. Its laziness, pure and simple. Doesn't cost much to keep a small garden tidy except for a bit of time and effort.

Some of those gardens I'd be embarrassed to have outside the back of my house. Winds me right up it does.

Sometimes it's laziness, sometimes it's funding. When we moved in our garden was an absolute state. 4 large trees meaning complete coverage so no sun, something that used to be a pond, tonnes of buried bricks, glass and metal and fully overgrown. It's taken us 6 years to get it into some semblance of shape and there's still about 15% left to dig, level and turn into a garden!! We've done it a bit at a time but it's been much harder and much more expensive than we expected.

That said, now we have a lawn, it's completely changed our summer.

One thing I do not need though is a picture of our garden 5 years ago... I'll never want to go back to that.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I try to keep my allotment in good order. I treat it as my place of happiness...
21ab61125d573a16e2d091c2d2185112.jpg

13adcf01fc10381c6841b2a2f90f9d29.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sometimes it's laziness, sometimes it's funding. When we moved in our garden was an absolute state. 4 large trees meaning complete coverage so no sun, something that used to be a pond, tonnes of buried bricks, glass and metal and fully overgrown. It's taken us 6 years to get it into some semblance of shape and there's still about 15% left to dig, level and turn into a garden!! We've done it a bit at a time but it's been much harder and much more expensive than we expected.

That said, now we have a lawn, it's completely changed our summer.

One thing I do not need though is a picture of our garden 5 years ago... I'll never want to go back to that.

Your garden is probably larger than mine and I appreciate some people are stuck with what they inherit to an extent when they move in, if major work is needed. Fair play to you for knocking it into shape.

But none of the gardens where I am are particularly large, and they'd all be improved immeasurably if someone could just be arsed spending an afternoon with a mower and strimmer. Where there's a will there's a way, but if there's no will, then thats when you end up with a dump out back.

We moved from a flat to a house with a garden, and it was a godsend for the kids. We didn't have much money to spend back then, but I made sure we made the most of it, and always have (they're grown up now). Now I've been able to do more with it, and I like nothing more than chilling out on my patio with a few beers now, I practically live out there in the summer. I can't comprehend how some people let their own space just go to rack and ruin (and none of the neighbours are elderly or incapacitated).

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Sorry, yes it's my home, it was over run when we moved in and it looks great now but not as it was when the previous people lived in before, old age I suppose meaning it was neglected. Just want to see what the previous garden looked liked and if there's any photos I could obtain?

I'm sure there is a shot of your garden here, if you could just mark the spot with an X ( bit like spot the ball) then we would know where to look for some photo's at a lower altitude.

image06042012_500m.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Now I've been able to do more with it, and I like nothing more than chilling out on my patio with a few beers now, I practically live out there in the summer.

This. A garden is a refuge, from work, from the kids, from the outside world and sometimes from home. I've got a relatively small garden but I manage to have about 4 places in it to escape to. It's lovely on a warm day, to sit in the shade and drink a cool glass of Guinness.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's simple, stick plenty of Cortaderia Selloana in there and the neighbours will start talking about something else....... hey you might even make some new friends too

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Blimey, this thread is hard work. Someone asks for help to find photos for an address nobody has been told where. Is it me or have I missed the plot (no pun intended) on this one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here