Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrests at brighton anti-immigration demo.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I thought i would put this thread straight into this section, saves the Mods moving it.
Let's just say selective reporting :rolleyes:

Breitbart London can reveal that the arrests made by police at a “far right” protest in Brighton, United Kingdom this weekend were actually those on the hard-left, or what the police call “anti-fascist” side of the day’s clashes.

News outlets such as the BBC and ITV, as well as local radio and newspapers all reported the arrests as if they were part of the hard right demonstration. The BBC’s headline read: “Arrests at Brighton anti-immigration demo” and ITV’s coverage said: “Twelve people have been arrested in Brighton in connection with an anti-immigration demonstration in the city”.

But Breitbart London has learned from Sussex Police that in fact the 14 arrests in total made on Saturday were part of a pro-immigration group on suspicion of violent disorder.

Police had received reports of assault and criminal damage “involving a large group of masked men in Brighton”, and arrests were made from the group of 400 pro-open borders demonstrators.

The BBC reported: “Anti-fascists also confronted a group attending a Great Skinhead Reunion” and overtly implied that the arrests were made on the “far right” side.

The BBC’s correspondent on the ground failed to identify the nature of the arrests in his live coverage, and in his follow-up reporting.

A spokesman for the Sussex Police told Breitbart London: “14 people were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder, as detailed in the press release issued on Saturday. The arrests were made from within the anti-fascist group.”

At the time, the police issued a vague statement failing to identify those arrested until queries from Breitbart London. They said on Saturday: “We’re confident that having made a number of arrests at such an early stage, we have significantly reduced the risk of disruption and disorder in the town centre.

“Unfortunately, whilst the vast majority of demonstrators act peacefully, a small minority appear to have come with the intention to cause problems.

“Following the above events, we are enforcing Section 60AA of the Public Order Act, which gives us the right to remove people’s face masks if we feel they are likely to be involved in criminal activity or violence and are concealing their identity.”

Local paper The Argus reported: “Far right groups The South Coast Resistance and The Pie and Mash Squad organised the No More Refugees march but were met with a larger counter demonstration Stop the March for England of around 300 protesters.

“The 300-strong crowd marched through the city centre before it finished at Brighton railway station at about 12.30pm although police continued to monitor a number of protestors as they dispersed in small groups throughout the afternoon.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp said: “We made 14 arrests within 10 minutes of being called to an incident this morning, and I think that reflects our approach towards demonstrations – we are always happy to facilitate peaceful protests, but incidents of disorder and criminal activity will not be tolerated.

“We have had a lot of positive feedback from members of the public and consider the operation a success. Despite the clear intent of some taking part – to commit offences and create disorder – we have had no reported injuries or significant damage or disorder.”

“I would like to thank the public for their support and also my officers and staff who worked hard over several hours to keep the people of Brighton and Hove safe.”

And local outlet Juice Brighton sought to portray the hard left as “peaceful”, stating: “Peaceful demonstrators make their point that fascists are not welcome in Brighton”.

Heart Radio offered similar biased reporting.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/06/revealed-arrests-reported-far-right-protest/

Brighton’s police chief has finally denounced rampaging so-called anti-fascists “looking to attack any bald men”

Predictably, the arrests at a “far right” demonstration had been misleadingly reported. Ten men and four women – most from Brighton, but two of no fixed address – have been bailed pending further inquiries after a string of assaults at a demonstration at a “skin head” music concert on 4 June. The BBC reported: “Twelve arrests were made in connection with an anti-immigration demonstration… after police received reports of assault and criminal damage involving a large group of masked men in Brighton.”

The article strongly implies that the masked criminals were anti-migration protestors, but after Breitbart London enquired, a spokesman for Sussex Police conceded that all of the “arrests were made from within the anti-fascist group”. The BBC has thus far failed to amend its article, even after Breitbart London contacted their journalists responsible as well as being assured their sub editors were aware of the poor reporting. The police and media have been accused of a “cover-up” online, and today Brighton Police Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp rushed to retrospectively condemn the left wing violence.

“There were a significant number [of anti-Fascists] who took part who were intent on violence and criminality,” he told The Argus. Adding: “There were a number of people in the protest who showed they were actually – ironically, bearing in mind the protest is about tolerance – some of the most intolerant people you could come across. “They were determined to cause damage and attack anybody really, any man with a bald head who looked like he might be from the right-wing.”

The anti-immigration protestors in Brighton that weekend were from a group called the “Pie and Mash Squad”. However, a peaceful, non-racist and non-political group had met for a music festival called the ‘Great Skin Head Reunion’ on the same day. Ms. Ortiz admitted that her fellow left-wingers might have got "CONFUSED"

She said: “We had a public meeting with representatives from all the groups and it was discussed very clearly that on the day of the demo there was a skinhead reunion planned. "So everyone was fully aware of the potential confusion. We were all planning a safe and peaceful protest, we wanted to represent Brighton in a peaceful manner.”

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/07/police-condemn-intolerant-anti-fascists-breitbart-expose-cover/

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure what Breitbart's agenda is, but either the BBC have edited the article since the week or they are spinning alot out of nothing. of two articles on BBC, neither implies who was arrested. looks like Breitbart are inventing news, i see them referenced on the conspiracy sites so doesnt surprise me.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
not sure what Breitbart's agenda is, but either the BBC have edited the article since the week or they are spinning alot out of nothing. of two articles on BBC, neither implies who was arrested. looks like Breitbart are inventing news, i see them referenced on the conspiracy sites so doesnt surprise me.

So how do you explain the police reports?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Hard left show up to confront hard right in Brighton shock.
No fascists coming to Brighton with intent, no hard left response.
... or are you wanting to imply the 'pie and mash squad' and S.E.A were coming to hold a peaceful protest in Brighton?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So how do you explain the police reports?

explain what about them? did they falsely claim there was arrests relating to one side or t'other? or did they, like the BBC, simply report there were arrests?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Hard left show up to confront hard right in Brighton shock.
No fascists coming to Brighton with intent, no hard left response.
... or are you wanting to imply the 'pie and mash squad' and S.E.A were coming to hold a peaceful protest in Brighton?
Did they ''confront'' them , or just shout insults whilst hiding behind the police like you do ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I dont go looking for violence like a silly ****.
Unlike yourself.
So youre happy to condone it , as you have in the past when mentioning the hard left ''confronting'' so called fascists (only when the numbers are in their favour though) but dont have the balls to do it yourself ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive not condoned anything.
Im not a violent clown.

Are you suggesting that people with left wing views SHOULD be attacking fascists?

You really are a clown. Seriously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm an 'old lefty' (allegedly. although one of my brothers thinks I'm a facist :lolol:). From reading the OP it looks like he's spotted an accoint of rather misleading reporting. But I will check the source material before drawing a conclusion.

I was wondering when a thread on this would materialise. When none did I assumed it had all gone off relatively quietly. Which . . . . it would apear to have done. By and large. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm an 'old lefty' (allegedly. although one of my brothers thinks I'm a facist :lolol:). From reading the OP it looks like he's spotted an accoint of rather misleading reporting. But I will check the source material before drawing a conclusion.

I was wondering when a thread on this would materialise. When none did I assumed it had all gone off relatively quietly. Which . . . . it would apear to have done. By and large. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry for the double post. I have been looking up Breitbart and my software crashed . . . .

It appears thay have a long record of selective reporting, mischief and mendacity, which has resulted in a fair bit of hardship for innocent victims, and retractions. Not a web page to rely on for accurate fact or balanced interpretation. Worse than others (of left or right). Who knows. The BBC is generally quite good I find. Stands the test of time wrt the majority of its repotrting. Unlike this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitbart_News_Network

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here