Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brexit impact on overseas player signings

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's obviously not a fact, but it is the most likely outcome. It will be up to our government to agree terms with the EU. For example, people from the EU can work in Switzerland.

Honestly, do some of you think there will be no freedom of movement between Britain and the EU? Benefits might not be so free, but movement and work probably will be.

Well I've made that pretty clear in each thread on the subject, so I'm not sure why it's only a hunch.

It isn't. I offer my opinion just as those with opposing opinions offer theirs. Are you going to ask why theirs is more valid too?

Did I say that? No, no I didn't.
I call BS on your ability to understand English.

I haven't read any of the Brexit threads apart from this one so apologies for not already knowing your strong opinion. I'll leave it at that as you appear to be quite wound up and aggressive about it all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Most likely? So you would vote for something that is " most likely"?
Obviously. When we vote in elections, we vote for the party that will most likely run the country the way we want, there are no guarantees are there.

If we stay in, will we have to spend money bailing out Greece again? And will we spend money bailing out the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy? You don't know do you, so I guess you'd better stay home and not vote for anyone.

If I am ever up in court, I hope to Zeus you are not on the jury.

I have no idea if he murdered the deceased, but it is most likely that he did! Blimey
So the vote to stay or leave is the same as a murder trial is it? :facepalm:

I haven't read any of the Brexit threads apart from this one so apologies for not already knowing your strong opinion. I'll leave it at that as you appear to be quite wound up and aggressive about it all.
Nope, I'm neither.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Obviously. When we vote in elections, we vote for the party that will most likely run the country the way we want, there are no guarantees are there.

If we stay in, will we have to spend money bailing out Greece again? And will we spend money bailing out the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy? You don't know do you, so I guess you'd better stay home and not vote for anyone.

Nope, I'm neither.

Love to read your posts when you are then :smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone who bases their vote on what, if any, impact it has on the Football Club they support probably shouldn't be allowed the vote in the first place.

Well I'm gonna do it just because you posted that. I know nothing about this vote - is it just a tick box 'stay' or 'leave'. Also how do I register to vote and where do I go to vote? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Well I'm gonna do it just because you posted that. I know nothing about this vote - is it just a tick box 'stay' or 'leave'. Also how do I register to vote and where do I go to vote? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

If you were registered for the general election last year you already are and should have your Polling Card already. On the card will tell you where your Polling Station is, which is not necessarily the closest one to where you live.

:smile:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Nope, I'm neither.

Well, no it's not, however my job is 100% reliant on being in Europe as I am responsible for a particular important part of our business that covers 5 European countries and if we are out there will be serious consequences for the European business.

That is why I wouldn't put my faith in people wanting out without having the faintest idea what that would actually mean for our industry.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But isn't one of the major reasons for voting out that there wouldn't be free movement of people to the UK from the EU?

So we should vote Remain so that foreign footballers can do a job that otherwise British players could well do instead ???

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
? He's not German, unless you're implying something else...

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Well, no it's not, however my job is 100% reliant on being in Europe as I am responsible for a particular important part of our business that covers 5 European countries and if we are out there will be serious consequences for the European business.

That is why I wouldn't put my faith in people wanting out without having the faintest idea what that would actually mean for our industry.

Leave talks a lot about competition for British workers which evidence shows hasn't actually reduced wages or increased unemployment. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of already existing jobs rely directly on access to the EU and they're quite happy to put all of them on the line.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So we should vote Remain so that foreign footballers can do a job that otherwise British players could well do instead ???

I think you'll find that the NHS would struggle mightily too. My mother was very ill last November, and I met the best nurse I have ever come across looking after her. He was Spanish.
23% of our doctors are immigrants.

Yoda

English & European
If we stay in, will we have to spend money bailing out Greece again? And will we spend money bailing out the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy?

In a word, No. Only fellow Euro Zone Countries will have to bail out other Euro Zone Countries. This was supported last summer by the European Commission and the majority of other EU members.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think you'll find that the NHS would struggle mightily too. My mother was very ill last November, and I met the best nurse I have ever come across looking after her. He was Spanish.
23% of our doctors are immigrants.

So how would the points system effect them ??

Are you really comparing footballers to doctors ??

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So Northern Ireland are staying in the EU regardless of the referendum result so their players will need to meet the criteria to play in Great Britain as well.
Northern Ireland will leave or stay depending on the outcome of the referendum.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So how would the points system effect them ??

Are you really comparing footballers to doctors ??

I am talking about employees from the EU. Making it a points system complicates things when our Border Force/Home office cannot cope now. This government has run the Civil Service down to skeleton staff in all departments.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is nonsense. There is no chance of this impacting on us, and even if it did so what? Would be the same for everyone else. And then perhaps all clubs would concentrate their resources into developing good young ENGLISH players rather than nicking them cheap from the EU. If any club is set up to take advantage of that it is us.

Vote Leave.
Agree with the sentiments, but the question of whether we can sign European players really isn't a reason for voting one way or the other - there are far more important considerations.

Will Brexit affect who we (and every other club) can sign? Que sera sera, I guess.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree with the sentiments, but the question of whether we can sign European players really isn't a reason for voting one way or the other - there are far more important considerations.

Will Brexit affect who we (and every other club) can sign? Que sera sera, I guess.

I agree there are more important considerations, but it is an example. It's ok saying blithely that we can use British players, but because every club will want British players, their price will go up, so the richer clubs will get the pick.
I think our European players have enhanced our club a great deal, in the same way I feel that being part of Europe enhances Britain.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
What a load of BS. Just more trite to make stupid people vote IN.

It would work however our country wanted it to work.

We would also do a deal with the EU on trade, and that would include the free movement of people within the EU, so they'd still be able to work here.

Interesting assertion.

On a related note, I'm currently at a conference on world trade. It opened with a panel debate on BREXIT, and at the outset 71% of the room (200 senior professionals from various corporations) were in the 'Remain' camp (an electronic poll was taken). After an hour-long discussion between those officially representing for and against, the vote took place again: 85% were in favour of remaining.

Ergo, most of those intimately involved with trade don't want to leave, nevermind negotiating a new set of deals with individual countries over an elongated period of time.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here