Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brexit impact on overseas player signings

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
existing EU players would be addressed with a blanket rule around existing europeans having residency rights - we are not about to kick hundreds of thousands of people out the country. we can do so efficiently for illegal immigrants from outside the EU, they are hardly going to attempt with legal immigrants.

new EU players would be addressed with existing work permits, or along new lines as negotiated with EU. they'd probably going to be some form of points system with skilled/professions scoring highly and Europeans given additional points. i.e. the same as the existing systems in place for work permits beyond football.

in short this is not a specific problem to football and easily addressed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But isn't one of the major reasons for voting out that there wouldn't be free movement of people to the UK from the EU?
Neither set of campaigners will tell you the truth, they'll say what they think gets them votes. If we left the EU, we'd still do a trade deal with them that includes allowing people from the EU to work in Britain.

So your saying that by leaving the EU we are going to sign up to the one thing that prompted the Referendum in the first place.
Can you provide a link to show that allowing people from the EU to work here is what prompted the referendum? There are many reasons why we should want control of our country. Preventing others working here under all circumstances is not one of them for me.

Errr. What planet are Brexiters on. You will do untold damage to our economy in exchange for what?
I think our economy will do well if we leave the EU, and we wouldn't have to pay for collapse of countries like Greece when it happens.

that's nice, normally resorting to such insults indicates a last desperate attempt at an argument, so it's all the more strange given it's the OUT campaign that has the momentum and the passion at present
I didn't insult anyone. I said the message was aimed at stupid people, I didn't say that anyone here would believe it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or possibly something to make people vote leave...fewer foreign players, more British players getting into top teams and once again England becomes a force in world football. The evidence is there: 1966 England win; 1970 England narrowly beaten quarter-finalists; 1973 join EEC; 1974 fail to qualify.

Germany seem to have done quite well whilst being in the EU

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
existing EU players would be addressed with a blanket rule around existing europeans having residency rights - we are not about to kick hundreds of thousands of people out the country. we can do so efficiently for illegal immigrants from outside the EU, they are hardly going to attempt with legal immigrants.

new EU players would be addressed with existing work permits, or along new lines as negotiated with EU. they'd probably going to be some form of points system with skilled/professions scoring highly and Europeans given additional points. i.e. the same as the existing systems in place for work permits beyond football.

in short this is not a specific problem to football and easily addressed.

Interesting. Who told you this? Or is it conjecture?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In the event of GB leaving the EU, any players within the Eurozone will need to have earned a percentage of caps in the last two years, to sign for a club in the UK.

So Northern Ireland are staying in the EU regardless of the referendum result so their players will need to meet the criteria to play in Great Britain as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What a load of BS. Just more trite to make stupid people vote IN.

It would work however our country wanted it to work.

We would also do a deal with the EU on trade, and that would include the free movement of people within the EU, so they'd still be able to work here.

You know that for a fact do you?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
So what went wrong in 1990 & 1996 when we made the Semi's of the World & European Cups?
In 1990 English clubs had been banned from Europe for 5 years and so were not corrupted by the pernicious continental influence. In 1996 the tournament was in England and so semis was a minimum requirement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a load of BS. Just more trite to make stupid people vote IN.

It would work however our country wanted it to work.

We would also do a deal with the EU on trade, and that would include the free movement of people within the EU, so they'd still be able to work here.

Let me guess, you will be voting out? Just a hunch

Why should your opinion about what will happen be any more valid than those who want to stay? Interesting that only stupid people would want to stay. Is this official Brexit policy speak???

I call BS on your opinion :smile:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or possibly something to make people vote leave...fewer foreign players, more British players getting into top teams and once again England becomes a force in world football. The evidence is there: 1966 England win; 1970 England narrowly beaten quarter-finalists; 1973 join EEC; 1974 fail to qualify.

In the EU we've qualified for every tournament bar the 94 world cup and the 84 and 2008 Euros. Pre the EU, we only one the World Cup once and had never been in a final before that. We didn't qualify for the 1964 Euros!!!

As for the quality of the premiership being diminished by fewer world stars, then the money would eventually reduce and that would have a trickle down effect.

D

Deleted member 22389

End of the day players from the EU will still come here. It is really no reason to change your vote in the referendum.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
End of the day players from the EU will still come here. It is really no reason to change your vote in the referendum.

You can't guarantee that like you can't guarantee the rights of Brits living in Europe. Haven't seen the Leave campaign spell out what does actually happen after Brexit.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To be fair to [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] I've seen plenty of commentary in the last week that supports what he's saying about trade deals and freedom of movement.

The exit strategy doesn't even exist yet, nobody on either side has a clue what the reality of "out" looks like. There was a good piece on newsnight saying that most of the people driving the brexit campaign won't even be in office by the time we exit and the it will be handled by the civil service.

Possibly the wrong thread for this but I avoid the main one because it's full of mentalists!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know that for a fact do you?
It's obviously not a fact, but it is the most likely outcome. It will be up to our government to agree terms with the EU. For example, people from the EU can work in Switzerland.

Honestly, do some of you think there will be no freedom of movement between Britain and the EU? Benefits might not be so free, but movement and work probably will be.

Let me guess, you will be voting out? Just a hunch
Well I've made that pretty clear in each thread on the subject, so I'm not sure why it's only a hunch.

Why should your opinion about what will happen be any more valid than those who want to stay?
It isn't. I offer my opinion just as those with opposing opinions offer theirs. Are you going to ask why theirs is more valid too?

Interesting that only stupid people would want to stay.
Did I say that? No, no I didn't.
I call BS on your opinion :smile:
I call BS on your ability to understand English.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's obviously not a fact, but it is the most likely outcome. It will be up to our government to agree terms with the EU. For example, people from the EU can work in Switzerland.

Honestly, do some of you think there will be no freedom of movement between Britain and the EU? Benefits might not be so free, but movement and work probably will be.

Well I've made that pretty clear in each thread on the subject, so I'm not sure why it's only a hunch.

It isn't. I offer my opinion just as those with opposing opinions offer theirs. Are you going to ask why theirs is more valid too?

Did I say that? No, no I didn't.
I call BS on your ability to understand English.

Most likely? So you would vote for something that is " most likely"?

If I am ever up in court, I hope to Zeus you are not on the jury.

I have no idea if he murdered the deceased, but it is most likely that he did! Blimey

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is nonsense. There is no chance of this impacting on us, and even if it did so what? Would be the same for everyone else. And then perhaps all clubs would concentrate their resources into developing good young ENGLISH players rather than nicking them cheap from the EU. If any club is set up to take advantage of that it is us.

Vote Leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here