Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Religion is for weak minded simpletons who still believe in fairytales and superstition. It's all a bit pathetic what people will do in the name of made up nonsense.
C'mon, try not to sound too much like the superior athieist stereotype, it does the rest of us no favours whatsoever.

The devout of any religion, by and large, don't give the tiniest of tosses what other people think about it, so why bother worrying about it in the first place? Live and let live and all that.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Last year I flew back from Bali with the missus and had an 11 hour lay over in Brunei during Ramadan. It was hell on earth as all food outlets were closed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Religion is for weak minded simpletons who still believe in fairytales and superstition. It's all a bit pathetic what people will do in the name of made up nonsense.

Speaking to one Pakistani a few years ago he said to me it's more to do with the Koran being a code on conduct to all Muslims . The Koran is a way of life more than just a religion. They must adhere to it even if there's controversial references..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Speaking to one Pakistani a few years ago he said to me it's more to do with the Koran being a code on conduct to all Muslims . The Koran is a way of life more than just a religion. They must adhere to it even if there's controversial references..

Are you religious?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It’s not just the Quran , it’s the Hadith’s (the words and actions of Muhammad), and the Sira (biographies of Muhammad). Muslims cannot reject the Hadith's but the Hadith's actually incriminate Muhammad. The Quran is just a small part of the story.

Trilogy Texts.jpg

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Hadith is second hand accounts. written long after Muhammad death unlike the Koran

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
my misses is a teacher here in France,that has a big muslim population

the general rule of thumb for kids is

College (12-15 years old) aren't expected to adhere to Ramadan

more to do with fainting and such like,the temperature can be 35c this time of year and to deny a kid a glass of water,would be madness!

however Lycee (16-18 years old) alot of kids do adhere to it,wheather they're expected to or not,I don't know

particularly difficult this year as Ramadam falls during the Baccalaureate (A Levels)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Hadith is second hand accounts. written long after Muhammad death unlike the Koran

Yep, but the Hadith are ordered by authenticity and if they are deemed authentic, that is what Muslims believe. Sahih Bukhari Hadith’s are probably the most trustworthy as far as Islam is concerned. It is his Hadith that goes into detail about the slaughtering of 600 - 900 Jews from the Banu Qurayza tribe. Any Muslim who rejects the Hadit's is not considered a real Muslim by other Muslims.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
C'mon, try not to sound too much like the superior athieist stereotype, it does the rest of us no favours whatsoever.

The devout of any religion, by and large, don't give the tiniest of tosses what other people think about it, so why bother worrying about it in the first place? Live and let live and all that.

I'm not an athiest, I'm an antithiest. Religion serves no purpose other than to spread hatred and war in the name of whichever made up deity the idiots claim exist.
Churches run by paedos, bombings by fanatics, rapes and wife beatings........not sure that sounds like a good thing to me.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Agreed , made up nonsense.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not an athiest, I'm an antithiest. Religion serves no purpose other than to spread hatred and war in the name of whichever made up deity the idiots claim exist.
Churches run by paedos, bombings by fanatics, rapes and wife beatings........not sure that sounds like a good thing to me.

Nah, sorry, that sounds too much like a uni student rant for me to take too seriously.

Don't get me wrong, pretty much every religion has comitted/is commiting its fair share of sins (for want of a better word) but it's too simplistic to write it all off as violent insanity. Easier, I'll grant you, but I don't think particularly accurate.

Anyway, not looking for a deep debate, especially in a forum where tone can be easily mistaken (a risk I'd rather not run when something this divisive s involved), have a good evening!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm always intrigued about why people get so worked up about others choosing to fast.

Perhaps they'd be happy if these people took their time. Boom tish

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Nah, sorry, that sounds too much like a uni student rant for me to take too seriously.

Don't get me wrong, pretty much every religion has comitted/is commiting its fair share of sins (for want of a better word) but it's too simplistic to write it all off as violent insanity. Easier, I'll grant you, but I don't think particularly accurate.

Anyway, not looking for a deep debate, especially in a forum where tone can be easily mistaken (a risk I'd rather not run when something this divisive s involved), have a good evening!

Agreed, an internet debate on religion is never a good thing.........in fact, a debate about religion is never a good thing, full stop.
Have a good evening too.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Religion also serves some good too!

There is good and bad in everyone and everything mate, I'm sure there are enough non religious pedos and murderers in world too, I know where you're coming from but I think it's the **** nuts that follow it rather than concept.

I'd rather have a nice old fashioned COE or Catholic Church next to me than any other religious house, does that make me a racist atheist?

I'd be no good at this Ramadan business, I'd pass out after half a day.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

The Koran is made up of oral accounts given by witnesses, some conflicting, and put in a book which was then deemed perfect and beyond criticism.

Sounds a bit like the NUS Constitution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here