Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was walking across the car park of Aramco Dhahran Saudi Arabia eating a juicy orange on a steamy hot day.

I suddenly realised a lot of people staring at me and then realised why..Ramadan.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
GF came back from somewhere this morning with 2 doughnuts for our health style breakfast. Reminded her it was Ramadan. Crestfallen face, but I get to have two doughnuts!! :thumbsup:
Is that your ''very westernised'' muslim girlfriend who you dont get to see alone very often because her family frown upon it ? At least that was your excuse when you were pulled up about being on dating sites :lolol:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I have absolutely no thoughts on this subject, but, I do object when people state things as facts, or truths when quite clearly they may not be. From the quote can you please explain what the truth is that you think was getting in the way.

Appreciate your help with that.

The person I quoted rather sarcastically suggested that Ramadan is healthy - then calling those that carry the practice of it idiots.

At the bottom of his post it says: Last edited by cjd; Today at 10:32. Reason: Changed one word as I mustn't let truth get in the way.

His sarcastic post was based on the premise that Ramadan is unhealthy. But, the truth of the matter is the scientific literature does not seem to suggest that it is unhealthy, overall. There may be some specific instances where it is unhealthy, and certain subsets of patients should avoid it. There are some co-founding factors as well. But the overall picture is that is does not harm health, and indeed there may be some health benefits to it.

This is true for many other practices of Islam as well. Alcohol - clearly unhealthy. Pork - far more unhealthy than most other meats.

I too object to people posting things as facts or truths when they do not actually know that to be the case. A little education goes a long way.

so presumably there is scientific evidence to support your assertion there are health benefits? personally i doubt it, starving and no water especially then binging at dusk cant be terribly good.

those taking exams should be allowed to take an exemption, but it depends on how observant and how their local imam guides them. i knew a chap who booked dozens of site visits at ramadan, as his imam had an light interpretation of the travel rule.

Of course there is. Search for 'Ramadan meta-analysis' or similar on Google or PubMed and you will get lots of results. Meta-analysis papers basically combine lots of different research papers.

Here's some to get you started:

Is Ramadan fasting related to health outcomes? A review on the related evidence.
Rouhani MH1, Azadbakht L1.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Fasting during Ramadan is an Islamic rule. Although previous review studies have assessed the impact of Ramadan on cardiovascular risk factors, athlete performance, diabetes and transplantation, in this study we have appraised some on these reviews by focusing on limitations and also, we have reviewed more recently published study and several recent studies, which are not reviewed till now.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
In this article, we reviewed recently conducted studies in regarding the impact of Ramadan fasting on weight, lipid profile, diabetes, immune system and gestation. MEDLINE (http://www.pubmed.com) was searched by using "Ramadan" as keyword and the most recent articles in mentioned topics since 2009 until February 2014 were selected.
RESULTS:
Although weight has been decreased during Ramadan in the most studies, weight regain is prevalent during the following months. Meta-analysis of pre-Ramadan lipid profile in comparison to post-Ramadan values had been showed that total cholesterol and triglyceride were decreased in men and high-density lipoprotein was increased among women. In regarding diabetes and fasting, diabetic patients should be aware that medical, nutritional and physical activity consulting is necessary for individuals with diabetes who want to fast during Ramadan. Although published studies show that Ramadan fasting had no serious adverse effect on offspring, it is strongly recommended that pregnant women avoid fasting because of the limitations of studies. The effect of fasting during Ramadan on the immune system is favorable. Ramadan fasting has no impact on kidney function and urine component.
CONCLUSION:
Studies showed that Ramadan fasting has health protective effects. More precise studies should be conducted for more reliable conclusion.

Islamic fasting and health.
Azizi F1.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset during the month of Ramadan, the 9th lunar month. The duration of fasting varies from 13 to 18 h/day. Fasting includes avoidance of drinking liquids and eating foods. The aim of this article is to review health-related aspects of Ramadan fasting.
METHODS:
Related abstracts from 1960 to 2009 were obtained from Medline and local journals in Islamic countries. One hundred and thirteen articles meeting the criteria for paper selection were reviewed in depth to identify details of related materials.
RESULTS:
During the fasting days of Ramadan glucose homeostasis is maintained by meals taken before dawn and by liver glycogen stores. Changes in serum lipids are variable and depend on the quality and quantity of food consumption and changes in weight. Compliant, well-controlled type 2 diabetics may observe Ramadan fasting, but fasting is not recommended for type 1, noncompliant, poorly controlled and pregnant diabetics. There are no adverse effects of Ramadan fasting on the heart, lung, liver, kidney, eyes, hematologic profile, endocrine and neuropsychiatric functions.
CONCLUSIONS:
Although Ramadan fasting is safe for all healthy individuals, those with various diseases should consult their physicians and follow scientific recommendations.

You can also take a look at the NHS website. This is what they have to say about Ramadan:

Fasting during the month of Ramadan can be good for your health if it’s done correctly.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/healthyramadan/Pages/healthyramadanhome.aspx

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Had to think long and hard about this.
Does it affect me? No
Do I care if others choose to observe something from their religion that doesn't affect me? No
Does anyone get hurt from observing something from their religion that doesn't have an effect on me? I don't know so don't really care
Why did I reply on a thread about peoples religious beliefs when I have no interest? There were no good football news and I was bored

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
One of my Muslim colleagues has told us his children have been given some sort of dispensation to "opt out" during exams.

Makes a lot of sense but I'd guess that's down to each family?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd guess.

The son of one of the guys in our office will be fasting once his exams are over (and extending by a few days after Ramadan should finish).

Again, a very sensible approach.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Eating and drinking during daylight hours is forbidden, so they fill up whilst it's still dark, and then fill up again when night falls. Summertime is tough, whereas it's easier during the winter when the days are shorter.

it's only once a year...so it can't be in winter and/or summer can it....??

Yoda

English & European
I'm always intrigued about why people get so worked up about others choosing to fast.

I wonder that too. A few years ago we had a Saudi student (about 21yo at the time) stay with us for the School of English during Ramadan. He did not have any issues with us eating/drinking during the daylight and we would prepare his food ready for sunset.

He also had no issues with us eating Pork or Bacon either and we'd make sure what we made him didn't contain it either. He was a bit fussy about making sure the meat was Halal, which we couldn't guarantee so we agreed to make vegetarian meals instead. No biggie.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The person I quoted rather sarcastically suggested that Ramadan is healthy - then calling those that carry the practice of it idiots.

At the bottom of his post it says: Last edited by cjd; Today at 10:32. Reason: Changed one word as I mustn't let truth get in the way.

His sarcastic post was based on the premise that Ramadan is unhealthy. But, the truth of the matter is the scientific literature does not seem to suggest that it is unhealthy, overall. There may be some specific instances where it is unhealthy, and certain subsets of patients should avoid it. There are some co-founding factors as well. But the overall picture is that is does not harm health, and indeed there may be some health benefits to it.

This is true for many other practices of Islam as well. Alcohol - clearly unhealthy. Pork - far more unhealthy than most other meats.

I too object to people posting things as facts or truths when they do not actually know that to be the case. A little education goes a long way.

Of course there is. Search for 'Ramadan meta-analysis' or similar on Google or PubMed and you will get lots of results. Meta-analysis papers basically combine lots of different research papers.

Here's some to get you started:

Is Ramadan fasting related to health outcomes? A review on the related evidence.
Rouhani MH1, Azadbakht L1.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Fasting during Ramadan is an Islamic rule. Although previous review studies have assessed the impact of Ramadan on cardiovascular risk factors, athlete performance, diabetes and transplantation, in this study we have appraised some on these reviews by focusing on limitations and also, we have reviewed more recently published study and several recent studies, which are not reviewed till now.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
In this article, we reviewed recently conducted studies in regarding the impact of Ramadan fasting on weight, lipid profile, diabetes, immune system and gestation. MEDLINE (http://www.pubmed.com) was searched by using "Ramadan" as keyword and the most recent articles in mentioned topics since 2009 until February 2014 were selected.
RESULTS:
Although weight has been decreased during Ramadan in the most studies, weight regain is prevalent during the following months. Meta-analysis of pre-Ramadan lipid profile in comparison to post-Ramadan values had been showed that total cholesterol and triglyceride were decreased in men and high-density lipoprotein was increased among women. In regarding diabetes and fasting, diabetic patients should be aware that medical, nutritional and physical activity consulting is necessary for individuals with diabetes who want to fast during Ramadan. Although published studies show that Ramadan fasting had no serious adverse effect on offspring, it is strongly recommended that pregnant women avoid fasting because of the limitations of studies. The effect of fasting during Ramadan on the immune system is favorable. Ramadan fasting has no impact on kidney function and urine component.
CONCLUSION:
Studies showed that Ramadan fasting has health protective effects. More precise studies should be conducted for more reliable conclusion.

Islamic fasting and health.
Azizi F1.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset during the month of Ramadan, the 9th lunar month. The duration of fasting varies from 13 to 18 h/day. Fasting includes avoidance of drinking liquids and eating foods. The aim of this article is to review health-related aspects of Ramadan fasting.
METHODS:
Related abstracts from 1960 to 2009 were obtained from Medline and local journals in Islamic countries. One hundred and thirteen articles meeting the criteria for paper selection were reviewed in depth to identify details of related materials.
RESULTS:
During the fasting days of Ramadan glucose homeostasis is maintained by meals taken before dawn and by liver glycogen stores. Changes in serum lipids are variable and depend on the quality and quantity of food consumption and changes in weight. Compliant, well-controlled type 2 diabetics may observe Ramadan fasting, but fasting is not recommended for type 1, noncompliant, poorly controlled and pregnant diabetics. There are no adverse effects of Ramadan fasting on the heart, lung, liver, kidney, eyes, hematologic profile, endocrine and neuropsychiatric functions.
CONCLUSIONS:
Although Ramadan fasting is safe for all healthy individuals, those with various diseases should consult their physicians and follow scientific recommendations.

You can also take a look at the NHS website. This is what they have to say about Ramadan:

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/healthyramadan/Pages/healthyramadanhome.aspx

bloody strooth....honest , just , strooth......!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here