Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC warning to English fans dressing as crusaders - offensive to Muslims.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Of course they're f**king denying now they've seen the reaction it caused, typically mealy mouthed excuses and backpedalling.

Seems to be just the one labour Councillor concerned with offending local Muslims who weren't the slightest bothered at all .

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Flying-flag-error-judgement/story-19053739-detail/story.html

THE flag of St George will fly once again over Radstock after councillors described a decision not to buy one to hang from the town's civic flagpole as "an error of judgement".

Radstock Town Council decided against purchasing a St George's flag after a discussion about repairs to the civic flagpole to ensure a Union Flag could be flown on Armistice Day.

The decision not to buy a St George's flag came after Labour Councillor Eleanor Jackson, a university lecturer and teacher, said its use during the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries could mean it may be seen by some as offensive.

Mrs Jackson said the English national flag could be offensive to Muslims and that it had been hijacked by the far right and that the Union flag was a more inclusive and suitable way of displaying national pride.

But the move caused uproar and led to a Facebook campaign – Raise the Flag in Radstock – being set up.

A 'Fly the Flag' protest, which attracted around 30 people, was also held outside Radstock Museum on Saturday, pressing the council to have a change of heart.

The decision also led to criticism from Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles who wrote to Mrs Jackson about her comments and published his letter on his ministerial website.

And at a meeting of the town council on Monday night, councillors made a U-turn and agreed to purchase a flag of the cross of St George to fly on "appropriate occasions" – a move supported unanimously by council members.

Councillors have denied there was any ever decision to ban the flying of the Cross of St George and said the flag had been flying in the town since May 17.

The flag was hoisted back up the pole in the town's Memorial Gardens on Friday after the town council borrowed one from neighbouring Westfield Parish Council.

Radstock Town Council said members did not vote to ban the St George's flag and the decision not to purchase one was made in line with the authority's resources.

Radstock councillor Peter Sas said the council had made a mistake in its original decision.

Mr Sas said: "What is clear about the recent furore over the flag is that Radstock Town Council and one councillor in particular, has suffered from an error of judgement.

"This is regrettable but the council has done its best to remedy the situation.

"We are a very proud and patriotic community that faces many challenges caused by the austerity measures.

"My wife and I attended the 'fly the flag' protest outside Radstock Museum in the town centre.

"It was a gloriously sunny day and many local people came out to express their views that the council had got this wrong.

"This has been acknowledged and, hopefully, rectified."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seems to be just the one labour Councillor concerned with offending local Muslims who weren't the slightest bothered at all .

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Flying-flag-error-judgement/story-19053739-detail/story.html

THE flag of St George will fly once again over Radstock after councillors described a decision not to buy one to hang from the town's civic flagpole as "an error of judgement".

Radstock Town Council decided against purchasing a St George's flag after a discussion about repairs to the civic flagpole to ensure a Union Flag could be flown on Armistice Day.

The decision not to buy a St George's flag came after Labour Councillor Eleanor Jackson, a university lecturer and teacher, said its use during the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries could mean it may be seen by some as offensive.

Mrs Jackson said the English national flag could be offensive to Muslims and that it had been hijacked by the far right and that the Union flag was a more inclusive and suitable way of displaying national pride.

But the move caused uproar and led to a Facebook campaign – Raise the Flag in Radstock – being set up.

A 'Fly the Flag' protest, which attracted around 30 people, was also held outside Radstock Museum on Saturday, pressing the council to have a change of heart.

The decision also led to criticism from Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles who wrote to Mrs Jackson about her comments and published his letter on his ministerial website.

And at a meeting of the town council on Monday night, councillors made a U-turn and agreed to purchase a flag of the cross of St George to fly on "appropriate occasions" – a move supported unanimously by council members.

Councillors have denied there was any ever decision to ban the flying of the Cross of St George and said the flag had been flying in the town since May 17.

The flag was hoisted back up the pole in the town's Memorial Gardens on Friday after the town council borrowed one from neighbouring Westfield Parish Council.

Radstock Town Council said members did not vote to ban the St George's flag and the decision not to purchase one was made in line with the authority's resources.

Radstock councillor Peter Sas said the council had made a mistake in its original decision.

Mr Sas said: "What is clear about the recent furore over the flag is that Radstock Town Council and one councillor in particular, has suffered from an error of judgement.

"This is regrettable but the council has done its best to remedy the situation.

"We are a very proud and patriotic community that faces many challenges caused by the austerity measures.

"My wife and I attended the 'fly the flag' protest outside Radstock Museum in the town centre.

"It was a gloriously sunny day and many local people came out to express their views that the council had got this wrong.

"This has been acknowledged and, hopefully, rectified."

Cracking.

Got any more news from more than three years ago? :lol:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
When will this politically correct nonsense stop you say??

Answer; when people like you stop posting it...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It was a thousand years ago you buffoon :tosser:

Do you actually understand written English? I said - and emphasised "might" be offended.

And it wasn't a thousand years ago, either.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Do you actually understand written English? I said - and emphasised "might" be offended.

And it wasn't a thousand years ago, either.
Yes i do , and if you give any credence to the notion that someone ''might'' be offended about something that happened 921 years ago youre no less of a buffoon than i originally stated.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes i do , and if you give any credence to the notion that someone ''might'' be offended about something that happened 921 years ago youre no less of a buffoon than i originally stated.

I wasn't trying to give it any particular creedence. I actually know a fair number of Muslims, none of whom, I think, would be particularly offended by it, mainly because it was 921 years ago.

So I am not looking to be overly politically correct about it....

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I wasn't trying to give it any particular creedence. I actually know a fair number of Muslims, none of whom, I think, would be particularly offended by it, mainly because it was 921 years ago.

This is what you posted

''But anybody who can't see that things about the Crusades, which were not the finest hour of the Western world, might be (and I said might be, not would be) offensive to Muslims is an insensitive clod..... or quite possibly far worse. People of one faith trying to wipe out people of another faith.''

Thats not giving credence to the notion someone might be offended ?? By something that happened 900 years ago ?? I think it's you who has a problem with written English.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
NSC at its finest.

The resident perpetually outraged are fuming and offended at others taking offence.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Backpedaling,followed up by logging off to sulk :lolol:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Good job the white lion flag isn't flying as that really would offend the celts !!!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Fairlight Primary School 1970.
I played a knight - mum dressed me up in white cotton sheets and a hand written red cross on the front.
A hidden scene involving an arrow arriving in the main kids heart - sworn to secrecy how they did it:ohmy:
We were so innocent then :moo:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Backpedaling,followed up by logging off to sulk :lolol:

I'm not back-pedalling. My position has not changed one iota.

I'm not sulking. I never have seen the point of sulking.

I just feel it must be quite sad if you feel you need to get one over on people all the time. Different people have different views. Get over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here