Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Paultons Park or Chessington (or Thorpe Park)?

Mar 26, 2008
Eastbourne
I know that everyone has said that Paulton Park is great for 6 year olds but I have 6, 9 and 11 year old girls, would the vote still go to Paultons?

I, like Bozza only remember Chessington when it was more animals than rides, about 35 years ago but my 19 year old had a good day there last week. Maybe avoiding weekends makes it less painful.

A name not mentioned so far is Knockhatch, up the A22. No big rides but we always have a good day there and comparatively cheap.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not been to Paultons for about six years but I'd say it's good enough for kids up to about 11/12.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Went to Chessington World of Queues today, with the family - Me, Mrs Nylon and 8 yr old daughter and 6 yr old son.

We've been to Paultons twice in recent times, so that was our benchmark. Wow - Chessington is like a dirty, dangerous, festering hell-hole in comparsion and not an experience I shall be repeating. Paulton's is clean, well-organised, professional and looks like the right level of investment has been made in the right places. That is why we have been back and will most likely return again in the future.

Chessington is an awful experience. Parked in a muddy field (£3 for the privilege...) Traipsed through mud to reach some huts that double up as the customer entrance and paid an absolutely bloody fortune to a bunch of idiots who seemed to have no idea what they were doing. The whole park is tired, dirty and poorly laid out. Huge queues for some pretty mediocre rides and just a dismal place to be.

Relieved when it was time to go home, but then faced huge queues to get out the car park as people attempted to pay at the exit barriers...

Ironically, the last thing you have to do to get out after queuing all day, is queue to get out. Great work, Merlin :facepalm:

If you are thinking of going - don't. A huge waste of money and a day of your life you'll never get back.
Sadly you have to stump up for Fast Passes for those Merlin parks if you don't want to queue all day. One thing worth bearing in mind in future is if you book and pay online a week or so before, entry fee is at least 25% cheaper and you get in an hour earlier so can get on a few rides before the queues build up. That was at Alton Towers so I assume the same applies to the others

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Went to Chessington World of Queues today, with the family - Me, Mrs Nylon and 8 yr old daughter and 6 yr old son.

We've been to Paultons twice in recent times, so that was our benchmark. Wow - Chessington is like a dirty, dangerous, festering hell-hole in comparsion and not an experience I shall be repeating. Paulton's is clean, well-organised, professional and looks like the right level of investment has been made in the right places. That is why we have been back and will most likely return again in the future.

Chessington is an awful experience. Parked in a muddy field (£3 for the privilege...) Traipsed through mud to reach some huts that double up as the customer entrance and paid an absolutely bloody fortune to a bunch of idiots who seemed to have no idea what they were doing. The whole park is tired, dirty and poorly laid out. Huge queues for some pretty mediocre rides and just a dismal place to be.

Relieved when it was time to go home, but then faced huge queues to get out the car park as people attempted to pay at the exit barriers...

Ironically, the last thing you have to do to get out after queuing all day, is queue to get out. Great work, Merlin :facepalm:

If you are thinking of going - don't. A huge waste of money and a day of your life you'll never get back.

How bizarre that I went there today too. Didn't get through many rides - it's ok but hardly worth the £100 for 2 adults and a 6 year old (with a 2 for 1 deal too). Also had delays getting out as ticket things in car park broke - then realised we hadn't paid parking so had to sprint up to do so - no signs I could see re where to pay! Waited 45 mins for that first rollercoaster 4 person carriage one only to be told littlen was too small - wasn't amused as she looked ok on another measuring thing!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How bizarre that I went there today too. Didn't get through many rides - it's ok but hardly worth the £100 for 2 adults and a 6 year old (with a 2 for 1 deal too). Also had delays getting out as ticket things in car park broke - then realised we hadn't paid parking so had to sprint up to do so - no signs I could see re where to pay! Waited 45 mins for that first rollercoaster 4 person carriage one only to be told littlen was too small - wasn't amused as she looked ok on another measuring thing!

I wish I had known you were there too today Sheebo, it would have been great to meet up.

My daughter (8) went on all the 'big' roller coasters, plus that thing that spins you upside down, no problem.

Then I queued up with her for 45 mins to go on a roller coaster called Rattlesnake and as we were about to board, the 14-year old running the ride wouldn't let her on as he said she wasn't tall enough.:rant:

She was taller than that stupid fvcker

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
By contrast I took my 14 & 17 yo's to the Brighton Zip Wire Sat, there's 56 seconds of their life they won't get back, what a crock, £30 for the pair of them, no wonder there wasn't any q's[emoji35]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Drusilla's

Always bought the annual ticket for Drusillas when my kids were younger. Meant that you could always pop out there for 2-3 hrs rather than having to do the whole day. Quick scoot round the animals followed by park bit in the middle. Great Value.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not been to Paultons for about six years but I'd say it's good enough for kids up to about 11/12.

My kids love Paulton's. We've been twice and I've been hugely impressed both times with the cleanliness, the attention to detail, the quality of the staff, the sense of spaciousness, the variety of rides and minimal queue times,the feeling that it is well-managed and safe and the value for money. Both times have created some great memories and we'll be back for sure.

Chessington, yesterday - however - was a once-in-a-lifetime experience - but not in a good way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mrs Bold is thinking about going to Thorpe Park on Friday with Bold Jnr 15, and Bold Jnr 11. Bold Jnr 15 would rather go paint balling which we could easily do. Bold Jnr 11 has been to Chessington a few times and isn't demanding to go, but not been to Thorpe Park. I feel like a grumpy old Dad asking is it worth it; but they are shit aren't they really these big theme parks!?

Thorpe Park want an additional £45 each just to have fastrack on 5 rides! That said, Mrs Bold is talking of getting the entry tickets on clubcard points.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Mrs Bold is thinking about going to Thorpe Park on Friday with Bold Jnr 15, and Bold Jnr 11. Bold Jnr 15 would rather go paint balling which we could easily do. Bold Jnr 11 has been to Chessington a few times and isn't demanding to go, but not been to Thorpe Park. I feel like a grumpy old Dad asking is it worth it; but they are shit aren't they really these big theme parks!?

Thorpe Park want an additional £45 each just to have fastrack on 5 rides! That said, Mrs Bold is talking of getting the entry tickets on clubcard points.

The rides at Thorpe Park are out-of-this-world different to Chessington. It looks like you might be on to a winner with queue times too - it's not been that busy this week: https://queue-times.com/parks/2/calendar

There's nothing like this at Chessington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3CzwH_cLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQ3suZlNiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8y4NNosZHc

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's a very random bounce of this thread which on first reading made me think Bozza had a 6 year old which was news to me :)

Just to add to it, having now had a third junior Giraffe to the mix since this thread was first started, I confirm Fishers Farm is still very good. I spent a pleasant day there yesterday.

I'll be waiting for Poultons Park, now Peppa Pig World, until she is a little older, although she already loves said pig so how long we will be able to hold off I am not sure!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The rides at Thorpe Park are out-of-this-world different to Chessington. It looks like you might be on to a winner with queue times too - it's not been that busy this week: https://queue-times.com/parks/2/calendar

Okay, your post could put Thorpe Park back on the agenda. Presumably with the park not quite so busy, a 5 ride fastrack is worth it for 5 goes on the busiest rides then not so bad to queue for everything else. Or just make them queue so they won't want to go back again! :D

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Okay, your post could put Thorpe Park back on the agenda. Presumably with the park not quite so busy, a 5 ride fastrack is worth it for 5 goes on the busiest rides then not so bad to queue for everything else. Or just make them queue so they won't want to go back again! :D

My understanding was that Merlin are trying to gear Thorpe park more towards adrenaline junkies and chessington to the young family audience. certainly ties in with my experience of them both as well.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
That's a very random bounce of this thread which on first reading made me think Bozza had a 6 year old which was news to me :)

Just to add to it, having now had a third junior Giraffe to the mix since this thread was first started, I confirm Fishers Farm is still very good. I spent a pleasant day there yesterday.

I'll be waiting for Poultons Park, now Peppa Pig World, until she is a little older, although she already loves said pig so how long we will be able to hold off I am not sure!

Poultons is always a good day out, and much more to it than just Peppa, which surprised me. as others have said, always feels clean and friendly there as well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here