Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clodhoppers and Hoofers 0, 4th best team in championship 1

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Didn't want Wednesday to go up but this Hull love in is bizarre. Like Burnley they only went up because of parachute payments. Hull is a rugby town ffs and produces fewer local players than coastal Sussex.
Expect no more than one non parachute club to go up next season. After that the the door might shut totally. The Premier League is a shambles protecting a host of tinpot clubs who can only dream of the home support that Championship clubs like ourselves get.

Don't know if there's much affection for Hull on NSC. Instead it's a mutual loathing of the awful 6th placed SWFC team and their arrogant fans, who almost fluked their way to the £170m windfall gain, but failed at the last hurdle. Relief and smiles all round on NSC.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Good result for us. Sheff Wed will be a mid table team again next season whereas Hull would have been right up amongst it.

I was sitting in my garden and a bunch of them were in the pub next door giving it full! Went very quiet in the second half and when they trapsed off all miserable like, munching on their tripe sandwiches and drinking nettle juice and distilled sheep's vomit, I knew they had lost.

Never liked them and they got what that cheating b@llb@g Hooper deserved.

You can tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much!

TNBA

TTF

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We celebrated heavily in our house. You lot mostly only have to deal with Wednesday �� wankers on the internet. My life would have been pretty unbearable if the undeserving tossers had gone up.

Even the decent SW fans I know would have been a nightmare. Very very happy.

I would suggest you put it to them that you have the bragging rights.

Screenshot from 2016-05-29 13:09:36.png

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm not going to be bitter about it, just- I hope- realistic. I watched that game today and Hull were by some distance the better side. Wednesday created very little from open play: I think the Hull keeper's only saves were from a couple of set pieces. Justice done, both in the context of that particular game, and in the overall picture of the season (well, not quite justice, but you know what I mean).

Very surprised at how little Wednesday did when they had the ball. Perhaps goes to show just how much our players were out on their feet by the time we came up against them. Dawson & Davies gave them absolutely nothing. the Owls defence looked cumbersome and vulnerable, and Hooper & Forestieri were mere passers by on the day.

"We're on our way, we're on our way! To Burton Albion, we're on our way!"

By the way, I disagree with the poster who said Hull would be stronger next season at this level. I think Wednesday will chuck a load more money at the project now, whereas I suspect Hull's chairman will be holding on to his parachute payments and being careful what he does with it).

The Hull parachute payments would have been spent on pies for Steve Bruce. The amount of cloth used to make his suit yesterday could have clothed half the kids in Soweto.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
They want Dunk, Knocky and Hemed from us. One fan on owlstalk thinks that if they went in for all 3 they would get them because in the first leg of the playoffs their heads may have been turned due to the size and atmosphere at the ground.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They want Dunk, Knocky and Hemed from us. One fan on owlstalk thinks that if they went in for all 3 they would get them because in the first leg of the playoffs their heads may have been turned due to the size and atmosphere at the ground.
They are total utter idiots then.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The stadium that's been half full or less for the last 15 years. Yet another self-appointed 'sleeping giant', because they have a large (rusting) ground, with some non-trophy winning spells in the top flight last century.

Normality resumed yesterday. The tw*ts dream was destroyed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Their ground which is delapidated & has a stand which should have been demolished decades ago. Yeah right.,

Athelwulf

Jan 29, 2016
There's obviously a great deal of residual bitterness towards the Owls. You didn't get to the final because you didn't put your chances away at the Amex. That's not Wednesday's fault, and it's your own players you should be lambasting. And had you got to the final you'd probably have lost, as we did. Why? Because of the three who went up, two of the teams were parachute and the other spent like one. Hull are a PL team who were playing in a lower division, with all the experience and nous which that brings. They really should have gone up automatically, and all it proves is that clubs like Brighton and Wednesday will always be up against it without the parachute money. That's the reality of the Championship, and I'd never have thought that Brighton would have finished third at the start of the season. It was a tremendous achievement. Both the Owls and the Seagulls got into the top six against the odds, and for what it's worth had Brighton knocked Wednesday out I'd have backed you. Firstly because you finished third, and secondly because you always want the team who knocked you out go all the way, as in the cup. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
They really are challenging Reading lately for that number 3 slot behind Palarse and Pompey. Total cretins and a team of cheating wasters. They had rather a lot of luck and that's the problem, if we'd lost to a better side you'd have had to accept it but so glad they stay down and we get them again next year

albionite

May 20, 2009
There's obviously a great deal of residual bitterness towards the Owls. You didn't get to the final because you didn't put your chances away at the Amex. That's not Wednesday's fault, and it's your own players you should be lambasting. And had you got to the final you'd probably have lost, as we did. Why? Because of the three who went up, two of the teams were parachute and the other spent like one. Hull are a PL team who were playing in a lower division, with all the experience and nous which that brings. They really should have gone up automatically, and all it proves is that clubs like Brighton and Wednesday will always be up against it without the parachute money. That's the reality of the Championship, and I'd never have thought that Brighton would have finished third at the start of the season. It was a tremendous achievement. Both the Owls and the Seagulls got into the top six against the odds, and for what it's worth had Brighton knocked Wednesday out I'd have backed you. Firstly because you finished third, and secondly because you always want the team who knocked you out go all the way, as in the cup. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be.
Fook off unless you know what your talking about we have disliked those tw*ts for a few years nothing to do with bitterness

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Very disappointed we came so close only to fall at the last, but bitter? No. The only annoying thing at this time is the number of Wednesday fans spouting off on Owlstalk saying that you should sign Dunk, Knockaert and (one vote for) Hemed. One of them justifies this by saying that our players must surely have had their heads turned by the atmosphere at Hillsborough during the first leg!

Which is, let's be honest, bollocks. The atmosphere at the Riverside for the last regular game was great. The atmosphere at the Amex for the second leg was great. Games like that always are. I've been to Hillsborough four times and on three of those occasions, it was dreadful. Rusty old half empty stadium, with one fat bloke banging a drum, oh, and that terrible "Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday...we forgot the next line baby" thing you do.

To suggest that our best players are suddenly going to decide they'd love to move to South Yorkshire on the basis of a play off final and a couple of thousand mobile phone torches in a vital game is deluded, arrogant Big Club Syndrome at its finest. No wonder people take the piss out of The Massive. We have no parachute payments, but we're hardly the paupers of this league when it comes to wages. Sure, we have our share of dreamers on NSC too, but I don't see a dozen people suggesting Hooper and Forestieri would be (a) on our radar and (b) keen to come here.

That's all that winds me up (well, that, and the incessant willy waving about ticket sales, when you've been playing in front of 18,000 for years).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I don't think there's any bitterness from me about not going up or about being beaten by your lot. I'm gutted because I really thought it was on for this season and we got so close but them's the breaks. And there's no point us whinging about the current rules because we were happy to go into the play-offs semi-finals as 6th placed team 2 seasons ago. I genuinely love playing in this league. There's 15 or 16 sides that could all legitimately claim to have a shout at a top 6 position next season and that makes it one of the most competitive leagues in the world with big crowds too. PL money aside, what's not to like?

I think a lot of clubs are now waking up to the fact that Brighton are a side to be reckoned with, we're not a one-season wonder and we're not little ol' Brighton anymore. I don't think other fans realise how hard we fought to save our club and the conditions we've had to endure as fans but I can assure you that most of us are having a great time despite the repeated play-off defeats.

There's obviously a great deal of residual bitterness towards the Owls.

Not here, was impressed by the standard of football you played, Wallace the stand-out player over the two legs.

Occasion seems to have overwhelmed you yesterday but can see us both being top 6 again next season

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Said this before the final but I wanted it to be Hull because they're the only team in the top 6 this season not to have had

A) Joey Barton
B) Mike Dean in their pocket
C) Fans booing injured players (Derby)
D) Two goals that shouldn't have stood (offside at Hillsbrough and the shove on Dunk at the AMEX)

In short, its nice to see teams succeed without being sneaky little weasels.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There's obviously a great deal of residual bitterness towards the Owls. You didn't get to the final because you didn't put your chances away at the Amex. That's not Wednesday's fault, and it's your own players you should be lambasting. And had you got to the final you'd probably have lost, as we did.

I have no bitterness against Wednesday and didn't care who won the final. However, your next statements are a load of old tosh. We lost the semi at Hillsborough, not at the Amex and the reason we lost was obvious to anyone watching, four injuries in one game and a third of the game with ten players. We lost more than a third of our starting eleven; the man of the match from the 'Boro game, the man who was subbing for the suspended Stephens and our two best attacking threats. Our three top scorers, Hemed, Zamora, & Stephens were unavailable for the second leg. In the circumstances our players put in a performance that we were all very proud of and to suggest any of them should be lambasted is, quite frankly, idiotic.

Furthermore, had we made the final we would have had the gap needed to get our squad fit and I'm confident we would have beaten Hull. Our fully fit squad is better than their's, it is better than yours, and a lot of the frustration you see on here is because we know that it is better than 'Boro and Burnley's. Were it not for two periods of exceptional bad luck with injuries we would have won this league regardless of the inequalities you correctly identify.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I actually wanted Weds to win yesterday.

However, the atmosphere in the first leg was ordinary compared to Boro and The Amex come to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here