Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Sri Lanka, 2nd Investec Test, Chester-le-Street, May 27-31, 2016

Compton doesn't look mentally up to it, far too intense. On cricinfo someone's just made the Ramprakash comparison, which I think is valid. Unless he goes big in the 2nd innings (which I can't see) I think that's it for him, which puts England in a bit of a spot - do you bring in Robson, as the next in line opener, or move Vince up to 3 and bring in someone else (who?) further down the order? I think I'd go with the former.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Either of these are possible... as is the third option of 'giving him a little more time to find some form'... whatever way it goes, he is definitely on thin ice.

109 runs at 15.57 this season... that 'form' is a long time coming :nono:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
5 runs off 26 balls. Hopefully he can play himself into some sort of form here? He likes batting at C-le-S... 2 hundreds, 1 fifty and average of 87 from 10 innings.

p.s. I merely went for the polls that seemed to be in line with the inevitable result... and they weren't far off were they?

That might just be the end of Compton (but who's waiting in the wings?)
We both know that the polls you were distributing gave the Tories a marginal lead over Labour, which was a long way off from the result (331 vs 232)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day One

England 83-2 (31 overs)

Hales 45* (96 balls, 7 fours) Root 12* (14 balls, 2 fours)

A steady sesssion... England will be happy enough having decided to bat on an overcast morning, but Cook and Compton will both be disappointed.

The fastest thing this morning had been the over-rate.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The fastest thing this morning had been the over-rate.

31 overs for the first session is terrific, hats off to the Sri Lankans. England can learn a lot from them.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Alex Hales 50* (102 balls, 7 fours) :clap2:

His 3rd fifty in his 6th Test match. A promising start.

England 95-2 (33.4 overs)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Compton doesn't look mentally up to it, far too intense. On cricinfo someone's just made the Ramprakash comparison, which I think is valid. Unless he goes big in the 2nd innings (which I can't see) I think that's it for him, which puts England in a bit of a spot - do you bring in Robson, as the next in line opener, or move Vince up to 3 and bring in someone else (who?) further down the order? I think I'd go with the former.

The lad Bell-Drummond from Kent must be on the selectors' radar.

Bagged a 2nd innings ton vs Australians last summer and that on the back of a 1st Innings duck, he then went on to play for the England Lions and has started this season brightly with a ton and 4 fifties in his first 5 county championship matches.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Surley that is the end of Comptons test career.

If he isn't going to score runs against this attack, it begs the question where he will score them.

However, this isn't a high pressure series, so I would at least give him till the end of it to see how it pans out.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Big shout... Root trapped in front by Mathews

Given not out... so they are reviewing it... looks high to me...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another 20 or 30 then declare? Should be enough.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
If he isn't going to score runs against this attack, it begs the question where he will score them.

However, this isn't a high pressure series, so I would at least give him till the end of it to see how it pans out.

He is 32 and not getting the runs, must be time to bed in someone younger.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised at Compton, he has bags of experience, why is he sh1tting himself out there in the middle against this attack?

England a hundred and twenny tew for tew.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Interesting interview with Graeme Fowler during the lunch break on TMS. Worth a listen on catch up if you missed it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Joe Root 50* (70 balls, 4 fours) :clap2:

His 20th in 41 Test matches / 74 innings, and 9 more have gone on to hundreds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here