Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrian Colunga & Nzuzi Toko

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
What a strange thread.....

I managed to sleep through the 93/94 season, just wondering if anyone could update me on the progress of Stewart Kerr and Jeff Minton?

Oct 25, 2003
toko looked a beast against lewes in a pre season friendly and i was really excited for the season

sometimes i need to remember that friendlies against non league sides are rarely a good indication of a players ability

i thought colunga looked ok and had good technique but pretty slow and small...hughton definitely didn't rate him and he was off pretty sharpish

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
he certainly looked slow- maybe he was just a bit lazy

and david rodriguez- there's a blast from the past (i thought his only positive attribute was pace though?)

:shrug:

Colunga was reasonably nippy, and one of those players as quick WITH the ball.

Given how shit we were at the time, Colunga was a massive waste.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Colunga was simply a bang average player. Probably would've done alright in L1, but a Championship player he was not. Just one of those obscure bargain-basement foreign nonentities that Burke had a fixation with.

Forgot all about Toko tbh. It feels like he may just have been a figment of my imagination.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Colunga was simply a bang average player. Probably would've done alright in L1, but a Championship player he was not. Just one of those obscure bargain-basement foreign nonentities that Burke had a fixation with.

I'm not sure he was all that cheap.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Forgot all about Toko tbh. It feels like he may just have been a figment of my imagination.

Completely disagree on Colunga. He might not have been suited to the Championship but not because he was L1 standard. There can't be many league one forwards who could manage 7 in 16 for a poor La Liga side. He would have been fine in the right set up but isn't a CH type of player and no-one was going to shine under Sami.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Completely disagree on Colunga. He might not have been suited to the Championship but not because he was L1 standard. There can't be many league one forwards who could manage 7 in 16 for a poor La Liga side. He would have been fine in the right set up but isn't a CH type of player and no-one was going to shine under Sami.

I'm sorry, but he was pretty poor. Not suited to the Championship ? We weren't asking him to play aussie rules. Its still football, and good footballers adapt. At what point do we stop making excuses for a players shortcomings and just admit that he's not much kop ? Why is it always a case that "we're not using him right" or "he's not suited to the game over here".

A player I liked a lot was Teixeira, and one of the main reasons I liked him was because he adapted. He started well, then had a spell where he went right off the boil, became anonymous and often got bullied off the ball. But he came back and had a storming end to the season (till he snapped his leg in the last game). He adapted to the pace and the physicality of this league and proved he was up for it.

Never saw that from Colunga. You could argue he didn't get enough of a chance, but from what I saw of him, he didn't look worth persevering with. Managers will have seen him in training as well, and clearly didn't feel he was up to it either.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm sorry, but he was pretty poor. Not suited to the Championship ? We weren't asking him to play aussie rules. Its still football, and good footballers adapt. At what point do we stop making excuses for a players shortcomings and just admit that he's not much kop ? Why is it always a case that "we're not using him right" or "he's not suited to the game over here".

A player I liked a lot was Teixeira, and one of the main reasons I liked him was because he adapted. He started well, then had a spell where he went right off the boil, became anonymous and often got bullied off the ball. But he came back and had a storming end to the season (till he snapped his leg in the last game). He adapted to the pace and the physicality of this league and proved he was up for it.

Never saw that from Colunga. You could argue he didn't get enough of a chance, but from what I saw of him, he didn't look worth persevering with. Managers will have seen him in training as well, and clearly didn't feel he was up to it either.

I wasn't making an excuse for him as I don't think he needs one tbh. He "might not have been suited" because we never gave him a chance to prove it either way. I was responding more to your view that he might have done ok in League 1. It's funny you mention Teixeira as he was the one who showed exactly how we could have used Colunga effectively when the pair of them ripped Bournemouth's defence apart for Colunga's goal in the 3-2 away defeat. Sami's reaction to a fine performance away to the team who went on to win the division? Drop him. Given that this was only the 2nd goal any of our strikers had managed up to that point of the season, and the manner of it (defence splitting pass, perfectly timed run and cool finish) one might have thought we could try persevering with this pair in tandem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here