Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Junior doctors strike was all about money.....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Hunt didn't handle this well but the BMA/Junior Doctors Committee were obviously part of the problem. Drawing out the disruption, patient suffering, cancelled operations all useful negotiating tools to get the right amount of pay.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hunt didn't handle this well but the BMA/Junior Doctors Committee were obviously part of the problem. Drawing out the disruption, patient suffering, cancelled operations all useful negotiating tools to get the right amount of pay.

That's how capitalism works. I have no problem with it. The alternatives are slavery or communism. The necessary elemnt, however, is jaw jaw. The Government tried to impose. That is not how capitalism works.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In the end - just a grubby, undignified political dispute!

Certainly if you define "politics" as encompassing maintaining a standard of living commensurate with value to the community.
In a (self-perceived) similar situation MP's had an "independent" body (such that they denied to other sectors of society) award them a pay increase somewhat over ten times inflation.

Politics :nono:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Half MPs wages and give it to doctors.
There you go, I've sorted this half ****ing shitstorm in 3 seconds.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I've no problem with MPs earning a lot of money. These people are running the country so it seems incongruous to me that the average MP earns less than a Tesco/Sainsburys store manager. The problem is that MPs come from such a narrow sphere on all sides that they just do not understand the real world because they've never lived in it. It's university then either union rep or lawyer or straight into politics as adviser or somesuch and then Buggins turn contesting a few no-hope elections until they get a cushy safe seat.

If we had a government and opposition made up of people who have roughly the same life experiences and aspirations as the people they represent then we'd have a lot fewer cock-ups and wars of attrition. I know - dream on!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I have been saying it for months. Already well paid compared to the average UK worker, but unwilling to work as hard as a normal worker. Selfish toxxers the lot of 'em.

They also work more hours than the average worker. Shift patterns are 12 hours at minimum and regularly work over time to ensure that patients are seen to even after handover. Of course, it's easier to denounce them and compare them to the average UK worker, because that's not based on sound and reasonable logic, more emotional.

Am I knob too because I have an opposing view to you? Heaven forbid someone disagree with you.

So why did you not include the response from the BMA in your post which was

Responding to the publication of the messages on Thursday, the BMA said the conversations date back over six months and “reflect the anger and frustration felt by junior doctors across the country due to the government’s refusal to listen to their concerns”.

A spokeswoman added: “Private discussions should not be mistaken for the agreed strategy of the BMA junior doctors committee, which was communicated publicly.

“It is less what was said during the heightened atmosphere of the biggest dispute between junior doctors and the government for 40 years that matters. What’s important is what was done in order to reach a negotiated agreement and ensure that the long-term interests of patients and the NHS are protected.”

It's good to know that the dark art of black journalism hasn't died out.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've no problem with MPs earning a lot of money. These people are running the country so it seems incongruous to me that the average MP earns less than a Tesco/Sainsburys store manager. The problem is that MPs come from such a narrow sphere on all sides that they just do not understand the real world because they've never lived in it. It's university then either union rep or lawyer or straight into politics as adviser or somesuch and then Buggins turn contesting a few no-hope elections until they get a cushy safe seat.

If we had a government and opposition made up of people who have roughly the same life experiences and aspirations as the people they represent then we'd have a lot fewer cock-ups and wars of attrition. I know - dream on!
I agree with everything you said, its just easier to call them ****s yknow

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well said that man! I bet he has no idea the pressures of working in a hospital

He had dismissed someone previously with a one word riposte. I thought it appropriate.

I have a daughter who is a junior doctor. I know full well that the "selfish to$$ers" accusation could not be further from the truth,

And as for "not working as hard as a normal worker"....... maybe "knob" isn't strong enough.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Published by Top Right Group which is apparently owned by The Grauniad. That surprised me . . . . .

There is usually a 'bottom line' in these things, and there is usually a 'money' bottom line in the mix, even if there are other issues.

Nevertheless, I'm reminded of a story about Groucho Marx:

GM: "will you sleep with me?"
Woman: "Certainly not"
GM: "Will you sleep with me for a million dollars"
Woman: "Possibly"
GM: "Will you sleep with me for ten dollars"
Woman: "Certainly not. What do you think I am?"
GM: "Madam, we have established what you are. Now we are haggling over the price"

I paraphrase . . .

I thought that was a Winston Churchill story.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
He had dismissed someone previously with a one word riposte. I thought it appropriate.

I have a daughter who is a junior doctor. I know full well that the "selfish to$$ers" accusation could not be further from the truth,

And as for "not working as hard as a normal worker"....... maybe "knob" isn't strong enough.

Just a troll.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Obviously money paid a part, why shouldn't it? A lot of these "junior" Doctors have made huge personal sacrifices and given their life to study to get where they are.

Public sector wages are a joke anyway and need upping. Mediocre office jobs shouldn't pay more than jobs that save lives.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Obviously money paid a part, why shouldn't it? A lot of these "junior" Doctors have made huge personal sacrifices and given their life to study to get where they are.

Public sector wages are a joke anyway and need upping. Mediocre office jobs shouldn't pay more than jobs that save lives.

Huge personal sacrifices? Very well educated gamble more like.

Given their life? I think not.

Studied hard, and partied even harder, in expectation of future job security in the public AND private sectors at the same time, whilst earning a wage that puts most people to shame. At the same time expecting and receiving the adulation of the simpering, forlock tugging masses who are bewitched by their dedication to the job, the public and the needy, whilst in reality they are having a life that most of us can only dream of, paid for by us, at the same time telling us that they are fighting for the future of the NHS not their own pocket. I admire those who have studied hard to get a good job, or worked long hours in pursuit of a dream, or given much for the benefit of others. I don't fall for patronising bluster from a bunch of driven, well educated professionals trying to tell me that they are striking for my benefit rather than for their own financial advantage.

The truth has outed, only the stupid will continue to deny it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Huge personal sacrifices? Very well educated gamble more like.

Given their life? I think not.

Studied hard, and partied even harder, in expectation of future job security in the public AND private sectors at the same time, whilst earning a wage that puts most people to shame. At the same time expecting and receiving the adulation of the simpering, forlock tugging masses who are bewitched by their dedication to the job, the public and the needy, whilst in reality they are having a life that most of us can only dream of, paid for by us, at the same time telling us that they are fighting for the future of the NHS not their own pocket. I admire those who have studied hard to get a good job, or worked long hours in pursuit of a dream, or given much for the benefit of others. I don't fall for patronising bluster from a bunch of driven, well educated professionals trying to tell me that they are striking for my benefit rather than for their own financial advantage.

The truth has outed, only the stupid will continue to deny it.

In your blinkered view you have overlooked the longer period at University to obtain the required medical degree thereby leaving with a higher debt than most other university students.
Then having to go to which ever area they are given to start as junior doctors where they have to work long hows to acquire thw extensive hands experience they will require going forward.
After their junior doctor days are completed whichever route they decide to take (GP or Surgeon) there are hugh stresses intheir work giveb that a wrong decision can lead to a patient's death.
Regardless of what money they earn wr should be thankful for there dedication and skills

You can noq drop into the bus and train threads to post your comments on how these employees are only it for the money and that uswhy they studied to acquire the necessary skills for future income.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The fact is that as a society we seem to value those that make money over those that teach us, heal us and feed us. Something is badly wrong in with our priorities here. Perhaps something to do with those that we chose to lead us coming from money?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The fact is that as a society we seem to value those that make money over those that teach us, heal us and feed us. Something is badly wrong in with our priorities here. Perhaps something to do with those that we chose to lead us coming from money?

or recognition that those that make the money pay for the state to afford those that teach and heal us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here