Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are We Now LUMBERED With Hemed And Baldock Up Front Next Season?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Was going to start a new thread about it but will tag it on here.

Have we EVER been in a stronger position for the following season at the end of May.

If we add nobody then we still have enough to have a great season.

Fantastic.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I really struggle with these kind of replies. What exactly are you adding to the debate? The OP has formed an opinion. I do wonder about people's ability to form their own opinion instead of attempting to belittle with no input.

Personally I can't agree about Hemed, he has done what he has been paid to do this season and score 17 goals. I still think we can do with a striker that can score 20 with Hemed backing up with his contribution, that, in my opinion can't be berated.

I do agree that Baldock has just not come up to scratch regarding his goal tally. He is paid to score goals and he just doesn't seem to have the instinct at this level. I find it difficult to add into the equation his running off the ball, etc. And I read somewhere someone saying that he hasn't had many chances to miss. I'd prefer he did, because it would show he has the presence to be in the right place. Sadly he rarely seems to be in that right place to miss or score. For me personally, he is no more than a bench warmer in the higher echelons of the Championship.

FFS. I'm not attempting to belittle anyones opinion I'm simply suggesting that there is an element of fishing in the OP.If you have read all the replies you will see that I'm not the only poster who is of that view. Of course we could do / buy better but to suggest we are "lumbered" is a bit strong. As pointed out, it was his first season in the Championship and on occasions he was "run into the ground"yet still scored 17 times. Sometimes it is not necessary to type a diatribe as a reply to a post, I think a short comment is sufficient and, as such, that's what you got.This coming season with the support he will get he will get more than 20, I;m almost certain of that. I hope that is more of the sort of answer you were looking for!

Gi2raffe1

May 17, 2016
Am now hoping with a good pre season under there belts and the expereince of this season this pair will become a feared partnership in the champion ship!!!lets get behind them instead of against them

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree that Hemed's hold up play -- his strength on the ball, his tenacity, and his skill -- is vastly under-rated on here but, then again, I'm not convinced it's better than Ulloa's.

I'd say Ulloa's general hold up play was better (it was utterly superb). But Hemed's lay offs / passing is slightly ahead. Having said that my memory isn't that great on Leo's overall game. I do know they are both brilliant players though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'd say Ulloa's general hold up play was better (it was utterly superb). But Hemed's lay offs / passing is slightly ahead. Having said that my memory isn't that great on Leo's overall game. I do know they are both brilliant players though.

I like Hemed lets get this out of the way.

But for me Ulloa's all roud game was way stronger than our current strikers.

Honestly drop him in our side last season and we would have been up with 4 games to spare, he played on his own up front for us with nothing like the quality service currently being served up.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I like Hemed lets get this out of the way.

But for me Ulloa's all roud game was way stronger than our current strikers.

Honestly drop him in our side last season and we would have been up with 4 games to spare, he played on his own up front for us with nothing like the quality service currently being served up.

This I do agree with.
I like both Hemed and Baldock as players and personally I think they offer a lot.
As you rightly point out though Ulloa's all round game was brilliant and his finishing is superb.
I back Hemed to score 20 next year or be very close but if Ulloa was here is back him to score 25+

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
brighton have not splashed 9 million or so on a prolific goal scorer which we have needed from the start of the season - guess what we are still in the championship !

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
It's been the crux of our problem ever since the beginning of the Amex era.

Firstly we should have secured the services of Glenn Murray after being promoted to the Championship in our last season at Withdean but we didn't get him for whatever reason. We signed CMS for around £2.5m but all he did, after a fairly good start to the season, was run around like the proverbial headless chicken, all show and no end result. We managed to get Ulloa but only halfway through a season which ended in the playoffs, he played the following season but again we still lacked a strike partnership that clicked, Ulloa eventually signed for Leicester, a good move for him I believe :)

Yes we've had a great season but as it's been pointed out the players we have up front need to be part of a four man spearhead, another two quality striker signings should do the trick along with a midfielder and centre back for cover should injuries occur.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We are not going to get a striker who does everything well. There needs to be a balance. What is clear to me is that we need a striker with nous in the penalty area. Bobby had that (as does Wilson) and is why his goals were invaluable, winning us games from tight positions. Other than that his contribution on the field was modest.

Hemed and Baldock are fine. We just need a couple of decent additions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here