Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this ad not deemed racist ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well that's good... it seems racism doesn't exist in your world.

Put a blinged up 'gangsta' from da ghetto on the right, and a white pensioner in a head scarf on the left...... BOOM.... you wouldn't be able to move for fits of anguish and outraged from some of the notable permanently offended members of this board... let alone the liberal voice of our leafy suburbs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
This ^^^^ ADL.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Says the bloke who got offended on behalf of ratafarians by the username pastafarian :facepalm:

I wasnt particularly offended. I think the 'pastafarian' name doesnt show a dislike of all religion, and the very name points at one religion.. Thats it.
I dont raise THREAD AFTER THREAD... whinging like some...you know, like the PERMANENTLY OFFENDED.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I wasnt particularly offended. I think the 'pastafarian' name doesnt show a dislike of all religion, and the very name points at one reglion. Thats it.
I dont raise THREAD AFTER THREAD... whinging like some.
well you did a good job of making out you were :lolol: it got to the stage of you offering to introduce pastafarian to some real rastas to see what he'd say to their face blah,blah,blah, I dont think he was particularly worried , if they were anything like you they would have bottled it and not turned up :lolol:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It doesn't. It infers that skinheads are racist. That's the lazy stereotype. They should be only people getting their (Union Jack) knickers in a twist over this. How people are coming to the conclusion that this ad is in some way offensive to white, working class males is beyond me. I actually think the meaning behind the ad is quite clever, not matched by the execution. Oh, and I also think the use of the elderly, Asian matriach in traditional dress to represent, I suppose, UK "people of colour" in need of help to be equally lazy.
Get a grip for God's sake..... it's a black vs white analogy.... it's not a black vs skinhead analogy...... it's stereotyping at its worst... nothing more nothing less..... reverse that ethnic mix in the poster.. and all would have broken loose.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
well you did a good job of making out you were :lolol: it got to the stage of you offering to introduce pastafarian to some real rastas to see what he'd say to their face blah,blah,blah, I dont think he was particularly worried , if they were anything like you they would have bottled it and not turned up :lolol:

I look forward to your next heart wrenching whinging thread.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Get a grip for God's sake..... it's a black vs white analogy.... it's not a black vs skinhead analogy...... it's stereotyping at its worst... nothing more nothing less..... reverse that ethnic mix in the poster.. and all would have broken loose.

Of course it is. Youre correct. An aggressive skinhead is a perfect representation of the 'white working class'

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wanted to leave this thread on a positive note so here's a video by a Walthamstow band called The Skints who have been around for a few years now having formed the band at school about 10 or so years ago, the female lead singer is mixed race, the band dress in a suedehead style and their music is a mix of ska/pop punk and a little bit of old school chatting. They've built up quite a reputation around the reggae world having collaborated with the likes of Tippa Irie and Horseman. If kids from Walthamstow can feel comfortable dressing like that around their neighbourhood and getting into the ska scene I think it shows that most people know for sure that the politics element for the UK skinhead scene is pretty much dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqHKLKgCyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqpqKqUg_4

I think they f*cking rock.

Thanks for this mate. Now the sun is out my annual ska kick is well and truly under way and I'm always excited to add to the list!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well that's good... it seems racism doesn't exist in your world.

Put a blinged up 'gangsta' from da ghetto on the right, and a white pensioner in a head scarf on the left...... BOOM.... you wouldn't be able to move for fits of anguish and outraged from some of the notable permanently offended members of this board... let alone the liberal voice of our leafy suburbs.

How the hell do you decide it doesn't exist in my world?!

In my mind that is not racist. It is something I have seen with my own eyes (not in a playground granted) I have seen white people abuse others and as such it is fact and saying that people of all colours should vote to be heard and all are equal.

I find it hard to be offended and scream racism from a poster that is trying to get a message across

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It doesn't. It infers that skinheads are racist. That's the lazy stereotype. They should be only people getting their (Union Jack) knickers in a twist over this. How people are coming to the conclusion that this ad is in some way offensive to white, working class males is beyond me. I actually think the meaning behind the ad is quite clever, not matched by the execution. Oh, and I also think the use of the elderly, Asian matriach in traditional dress to represent, I suppose, UK "people of colour" in need of help to be equally lazy.

No, it is aggressive white against passive asian, nothing clever about it at all ........ why would it be about skinheads, most are neither racists or hold any political sway.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I wanted to leave this thread on a positive note so here's a video by a Walthamstow band called The Skints who have been around for a few years now having formed the band at school about 10 or so years ago, the female lead singer is mixed race, the band dress in a suedehead style and their music is a mix of ska/pop punk and a little bit of old school chatting. They've built up quite a reputation around the reggae world having collaborated with the likes of Tippa Irie and Horseman. If kids from Walthamstow can feel comfortable dressing like that around their neighbourhood and getting into the ska scene I think it shows that most people know for sure that the politics element for the UK skinhead scene is pretty much dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqHKLKgCyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqpqKqUg_4

I think they f*cking rock.
Tippa Irie, thats a long way to go..............................................................i'll get me coat.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No idea. Other than there is still maybe a common perception regarding skinheads.I dont work for Saatchi & Saatchi.

I know hundreds of white working class people, none of whom are skinheads as this ad represents.
i dont think it represents 'white working class'.. I think it represents a skinhead, and that whatever your ethnicity, or
politics, you have an equal vote.

Again there is no burgeoning skinhead movement that fits that stereotype, most are ageing SKA (I think) enthusiasts, the skinhead represents white young men against a passive asian woman, if I had the inclination I would be really offended, but as the OP said it wouldnt be able to happen the other way round, thats the point, it is not equitable.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Saxon sound system had some serious talent.
Tippa, Smiley Culture (rip), Maxi Priest, Papa Levi.

Went to a couple of their dance. Thought they were best reggae sound in the country for years.

Found myself standing next to Horseman in one of our parties in Brixton (Somerleyton flats).. had no idea it was him.
Dont know what happened to him. Dont hear of him so much these days, so probably has left us.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Again there is no burgeoning skinhead movement that fits that stereotype, most are ageing SKA (I think) enthusiasts, the skinhead represents white young men against a passive asian woman, if I had the inclination I would be really offended, but as the OP said it wouldnt be able to happen the other way round, thats the point, it is not equitable.

Seriously, you think an image of a skinhead represents the white working class? If so why?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't this racist towards Asians?

The other way round how would you like to see some black gangbanger in a threatening pose to an old biddy that looks like your granny on posters every way you look?

Its blunt Caustic and uncouth,Like I am. The world seems to be turning into me. I dont think thats a good idea although I do want Trump to win this autumn..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here