Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton bus drivers ballot to strike

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't see why not. The technology is there.

Unfortunately pedestrians are not fitted with technology. Bus drivers must have nightmares with the numbers of pedestrians who step out in front of them to cross the road.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Unfortunately pedestrians are not fitted with technology. Bus drivers must have nightmares with the numbers of pedestrians who step out in front of them to cross the road.

Perhaps the best idea is simply to replace all the people with robots.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

technology can implement multiple eyes at many angles. very few people walk out in the road, somewhere like North St/Western road is probably about as bad as it gets and how many accidents occur?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
technology can implement multiple eyes at many angles. very few people walk out in the road, somewhere like North St/Western road is probably about as bad as it gets and how many accidents occur?

Quite a few accidents occur, & many more near misses. It's not as if there aren't crossings in North Street. People have been hit in the bus lane by St Peter's church.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't see why not. The technology is there.
Is it though? Self driving vehicles that can navigate point a to b are starting to appear, but you're talking about something with presumably far more variables...small example, but how would the bus know that everyone has got on/off at each stop?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Is it though? Self driving vehicles that can navigate point a to b are starting to appear, but you're talking about something with presumably far more variables...small example, but how would the bus know that everyone has got on/off at each stop?

I'm sure it's not 100% but the videos of self-driving cars I've seen are very impressive. I don't think this is out of the question in 5-10 years.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm sure it's not 100% but the videos of self-driving cars I've seen are very impressive. I don't think this is out of the question in 5-10 years.
In terms of technology then probably not but can you see them investing the money to develop/purchase that capability as well as changing the workings of their entire fleet?

I don't think whether it can be done will be the barrier.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
In terms of technology then probably not but can you see them investing the money to develop/purchase that capability as well as changing the workings of their entire fleet?

no...I guess not any time soon. It would also effectively put a lot of people out a job too. But automation is coming eventually.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

autonomous cars will make the concept of buses redundant, you'd have pooled cars to provide public transport.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
autonomous cars will make the concept of buses redundant, you'd have pooled cars to provide public transport.
Would it though? If you want to keep traffic levels low then surely buses (preumably more efficient ones...maybe) would be the way to go?

Pool cars can still only carry a small number of people and due to people wanting to leave as/when suits them (understandable) I can't see it ever being the only option.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
How will automatic buses persuade mums with push chairs to allow a wheelchair bound person to get into the wheelchair space and if the disabled person is alone who will assist entry to the bus?

Also what would happen if there is a fight or an assault during the journey?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
How will automatic buses persuade mums with push chairs to allow a wheelchair bound person to get into the wheelchair space and if the disabled person is alone who will assist entry to the bus?

I thought that space was for either pushchairs or wheelchairs, without priority either way? If so, no one should be trying to persuade anyone to move...

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I thought that space was for either pushchairs or wheelchairs, without priority either way? If so, no one should be trying to persuade anyone to move...
I am sure I have seen notices asking pushchair users to give way to wheelchairs by folding the pushchair. If I accept your point, how will the wheelchair or pushchair user know that the space is full before they get on the bus?

Absolutely WRONG! Wheelchair users have priority.

Provision of a wheelchair space on buses is a legal requirement defined in Accessibilty Regulations that I was involved in drafting. There is no legal requirement to provide pushchair or shopping trolley spaces.

On Brighton & Hove buses, they try to avoid conflict by providing more 'open space' than is strictly necessary, but this isn't the case with all bus operators.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I am sure I have seen notices asking pushchair users to give way to wheelchairs by folding the pushchair. If I accept your point, how will the wheelchair or pushchair user know that the space is full before they get on the bus?

No idea, but then I wasn't trying to make a point, nor asking someone to accept it.

Provision of a wheelchair space on buses is a legal requirement defined in Accessibilty Regulations that I was involved in drafting. There is no legal requirement to provide pushchair or shopping trolley spaces.

On Brighton & Hove buses, they try to avoid conflict by providing more 'open space' than is strictly necessary, but this isn't the case with all bus operators.

Fair enough, I genuinely didn't know that was the case, thanks for providing the knowledge!

I'm assuming that buses make that clear near the seats somewhere? Hopefully anyway...

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

Indeed, I think there was a case in Leeds last year where a mother refused to either fold the buggy down or get off the bus to allow a wheelchair user onto the bus despite the driver telling her she had to. And whats really annoying is the parents that get on the bus with child in buggy, sit down and get the child out and sit them on their lap, taking a buggy space with an empty buggy

Mind you, makes you wonder how mothers in the 70s, 80s, and 90s managed to take their children shopping with a buggy and have to unload and fold it down for every bus trip.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would it though? If you want to keep traffic levels low then surely buses (preumably more efficient ones...maybe) would be the way to go?

Pool cars can still only carry a small number of people and due to people wanting to leave as/when suits them (understandable) I can't see it ever being the only option.

The one aspect which may keep buses running when all vehicles are autonomous is parking space.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

the same as now, other passengers would intervene or not. not lets claim the driver will do anything, they lock their cabin and call in dispatch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here