Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alf Garnett is back now on BBC1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He really is on BBC1 now the older residents of Newham, London running a commentary about their lost East End due to immigration.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Most of us would probably be pissed off if the environment we grew up in, and had lived all our lives in, suddenly changed to the extent of being unrecognisable. Of course, due to the way the country is run, it is something we'll have to get used to.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could always invite the Germans :lolol: back

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Most of us would probably be pissed off if the environment we grew up in, and had lived all our lives in, suddenly changed to the extent of being unrecognisable. Of course, due to the way the country is run, it is something we'll have to get used to.

The 1960s was similar to now in terms of immigration. The difference being the UK drastically needed immigration and it actively went out of it's way to recruit back then from the British Colonies.

The British people were prejudice then. They are prejudice now for different reasons but we need immigration now just as much as we needed it then. The only difference is we don't need to actively recruit it.

Look at your hospitals now. How many doctors are non British origin. Indian especially. It is not always first generation immigrants we see the benefits of. It is 2nd or 3rd generation we see the best benefits of. Our schools are filled with under achieving white British Nationals and full of over achieving 2nd generation immigrant children.

Its time that instead of telling our children that imigrants are taking our jobs that we tell them that it is time that we started competing for them.

We should embrace immigration since it is a good thing and use it to inspire ourselves to achieve more in life ourselves. Perfect example is our manager. He is a 2nd generation immigrant on that note I rest my argument.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

The 1960s was similar to now in terms of immigration. The difference being the UK drastically needed immigration and it actively went out of it's way to recruit back then from the British Colonies.

The British people were prejudice then. They are prejudice now for different reasons but we need immigration now just as much as we needed it then. The only difference is we don't need to actively recruit it.

Look at your hospitals now. How many doctors are non British origin. Indian especially. It is not always first generation immigrants we see the benefits of. It is 2nd or 3rd generation we see the best benefits of. Our schools are filled with under achieving white British Nationals and full of over achieving 2nd generation immigrant children.

Its time that instead of telling our children that imigrants are taking our jobs that we tell them that it is time that we started competing for them.

We should embrace immigration since it is a good thing and use it to inspire ourselves to achieve more in life ourselves. Perfect example is our manager. He is a 2nd generation immigrant on that note I rest my argument.

Using our manager is a poor example, it really is. If you don't mind me saying, but to me your post actually shows a lack of experience of living in the same sorts of the areas that the programme talked about. Do you live in the same sort of areas? If you do I take my words back. You really can't compare Sussex to some parts of London or Luton where I lived, you really can't. Immigration here is a completely different ball game.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Using our manager is a poor example, it really is. If you don't mind me saying, but to me your post actually shows a lack of experience of living in the same sorts of the areas that the programme talked about. Do you live in the same sort of areas? If you do I take my words back. You really can't compare Sussex to some parts of London or Luton where I lived, you really can't. Immigration here is a completely different ball game.

Good mates of mine (white English) lived in Luton and raised their kids there. They moved due to work and now live in Chippenham. They only have positive things to say about Luton and this is the thing. I can't deny that the impact of immigration is far greater in London and Luton than Sussex in general and Shoreham in particular, but when I get challenged how many immigrants live in my area, I genuinely have no idea, I don't feel the need to classify people in that sense, don't feel threatened by different cultures and don't feel threatened by change.

Poitics and economics have a major impact on the world around us, but things don't improve for people on an individual level, if they are waiting around for it to stop being someone else's fault.

D

Deleted member 22389

Good mates of mine (white English) lived in Luton and raised their kids there. They moved due to work and now live in Chippenham. They only have positive things to say about Luton and this is the thing. I can't deny that the impact of immigration is far greater in London and Luton than Sussex in general and Shoreham in particular, but when I get challenged how many immigrants live in my area, I genuinely have no idea, I don't feel the need to classify people in that sense, don't feel threatened by different cultures and don't feel threatened by change.

Poitics and economics have a major impact on the world around us, but things don't improve for people on an individual level, if they are waiting around for it to stop being someone else's fault.

What really gets my goat is when people start going on about Alf Garnett. Some people can embrace it, others cant. Why can't people be respected for that, instead of resorting to the same old silly name calling.

I personally saw a massive change in the part of Luton I lived, the massive change was in the way certain religions had shifted. At the same I'm being told by our politicians and name callers that everything is great, but I'm seeing something completely different happening at the other end.

Glad I left the place, because I didn't comfortable anymore.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpeg

Last years Bonfire party in Shoreham

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
He really is on BBC1 now the older residents of Newham, London running a commentary about their lost East End due to immigration.

And they are absolutely correct. Like them, I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK. A certain amount of immigration is fine, but the thousands upon thousands that have poured into this country from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Africa really is too much ... and now we have the Eastern Europeans. They are changing the face of our cities and boroughs and not for the better. The East End of London should still be the home of " 'ello me darlin' " cockneys having a knees up down the local boozer, with a pub, not a mosque, on every corner.

I wonder how our friends fron the Indian sub-continent would like it if thousands and thousands of Brits invaded their countries turning some of their cities into British enclaves? Not very much I would wager.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wonder how our friends fron the Indian sub-continent would like it if thousands and thousands of Brits invaded their countries turning some of their cities into British enclaves? Not very much I would wager.

Not sure why you are talking about this in the 'what if' sense. It did happen and generally they didn't like it. Although it it not a fair comparison as it was done in a far more violent way.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Does this example also inspire you ?

https://theukdatabase.com/uk-child-...-to-receive-damages-over-human-rights-breach/

Does this example also inspire you ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-two-more-women-he-met-on-dating-website.html

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

20 years living in Turnpike Lane in North London the largest Turkish/Albanian/Cypriot/Eritrean - I was a minority group there - Does that cut it ? I have moved now but loved living in that area. You grab the benefits of it and take advantage of the best Turkish restaurants in Europe

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here