Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
3 is not what I would call ''goals where ever he has gone'' ...the quality if the team is irrelevant in context....my point would be that suddenly Murray becomes the Messiah ...personally I'm not so sure...still we will see what happens in time :)

Being a complete pedant - 3 is goals, so my statement is not incorrect. But I take your point.

He is a goal scorer, proven at championship level.
Even at a rate of 3 in 21 (predominantly as a sub) - he would match Bobby's total for the season.
No-one is considering that to be a waste of wages though.

IMO Murray is the ideal replacement for Bobby. That may not be the plan though.
If the club have decided that they want to bring in 2 younger, proven goal scorers and FFP be damned.... Well I won't be complaining!

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I dont think it would be a bad signing but depends on wages. I wouldn't want us to blow a lot of our budget on him to be honest

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Sorry I can't be bothered to read it all, but I know someone who's just moved him into somewhere else in Brighton recently as well. Personally I would like to see him back as he's proven at this level and should get the goals needed.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Aren't we?

I have no idea, but Hughton has tried in each of the last two January transfer windows.

Not for £30k a week.
If we really wanted him, he'd already be here.
No doubt, CH is entirely fed up of dealing with Bournemouth too.

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We're not.
This endless stream of Glenn Murray bollocks derails more threads than BG.

I thought you said the other day we tried to sign him but baulked at the loan fee? Has that ended our interest even though the circumstances would now be completely different?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I thought you said the other day we tried to sign him but baulked at the loan fee? Has that ended our interest even though the circumstances would now be completely different?

CH wanted to sign him in January/the loan window but we withdrew interest after they slapped a fee on top of wages.
He's six months older, has played no football, and we have all summer to find someone better rather than limited to whomever's available mid-season.

Is my reasoning.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I like the idea of Murray's goals and the enjoyment in his leap, but i'd want him to join to be a part of what we are, a ruddy hard working side from front to back. If he has a lust for ardour and being an element of our collective gusto, then come on board.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
CH wanted to sign him in January/the loan window but we withdrew interest after they slapped a fee on top of wages.
He's six months older, has played no football, and we have all summer to find someone better rather than limited to whomever's available mid-season.

Is my reasoning.

Fair enough. I think we would be interested but not at 30k per week and I am quite sure that another Championship club will pay him that or very close to that.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Fair enough. I think we would be interested but not at 30k per week and I am quite sure that another Championship club will pay him that or very close to that.

37k a week is the figure I was told (via an ex-player who reguarly see's him still). That's excluding what he gets for being contracted as an 'Adidas Athlete', which is supposedly another few £k a week - which i'm not sure he would get by dropping down a level...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I loved Glenn Murray when he played for us. I didn't even hate him all that much when he played for Them, as he never once gave it the big one when he scored against us, even though he'd had dogs' abuse all match.

If you'd asked me whether I'd have been keen on Albion signing a deal with him last summer, or last January, I'd have been all over it. He might have made the difference that would have got us a point more than Boro.

Now, I'm just not so sure. We're already in clear out mode, with a few genuine heroes, along with a few bits of deadwood going out of the door. The club has to look forward, and to make sure there's not a hangover from our near miss this season. Murray's a very decent striker, but at 32 he probably doesn't represent the future, nor an investment opportunity for the club.

If they did sign him, I'd be fine with it, of course. But I don't find myself really wishing for it to happen like I might have done in the past. And I certainly don't see him as a main striker these days.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If we can get Glenn on a club friendly contract then I have no problem with him coming back. He's a proven goalscorer at both premiership and championship level and in my opinion a fairly safe bet for a few goals. With Murray and Hemed you'd have a few goals in the bank (especially when you consider the service they'd get from the wings and set pieces). By getting Murray on board it gives the club a little security when they take a flyer on our new younger hot shot who we have currently never heard of.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you'd asked me whether I'd have been keen on Albion signing a deal with him last summer, or last January, I'd have been all over it. He might have made the difference that would have got us a point more than Boro.

Indeed. Or been the striker we needed to finish off Wednesday in the second leg. Hemed was a big miss for that game.

Murray's a very decent striker, but at 32 he probably doesn't represent the future, nor an investment opportunity for the club.

In the world of trying to get promoted from the Championship into the Premier League neither of those things matter. If you don't though...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. Or been the striker we needed to finish off Wednesday in the second leg. Hemed was a big miss for that game.

In the world of trying to get promoted from the Championship into the Premier League neither of those things matter. If you don't though...

Suppose what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't see him as the main man. If he was the big signing of the summer I might be slightly underwhelmed, though I don't doubt he'd contribute in terms of goals.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Suppose what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't see him as the main man. If he was the big signing of the summer I might be slightly underwhelmed, though I don't doubt he'd contribute in terms of goals.

Absolutely This.

For me the big signing needs to be a significant upgrade on Baldock.
If we get that, then Murray would be an excellent replacement for Bobby.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Possibly, I'd hate to see us spend loads to bring him in. Think he'd be alright as backup but think we should maybe be spending wages on players that will benefit the starting eleven. I'd give Hemed the start over Murray all day long. Play him up top with Hemed (Over Baldock) definitely, but if he's our big signing this summer I think it would be a little underwhelming. There's better out there for sure, I hoping we sign another unknown like an Ulloa or Hemed kind of signing. Failing that if Mr Bloom is feeling flush, how about someone like Andre Gray, good Championship striker, am sure Burnley aren't naive enough to think he's good enough for the prem.

Wowza.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I like the idea of Murray's goals and the enjoyment in his leap, but i'd want him to join to be a part of what we are, a ruddy hard working side from front to back. If he has a lust for ardour and being an element of our collective gusto, then come on board.

was'nt like that when he first signed LACONIC is the word maybe its because he was homesick :cry:.............now he is buying land and property down here.........................and its still a NO from me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here