Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you into the Paranormal?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Don't believe any of it, but I do a lot of night fishing alone and when you are sitting on a beach at 1 in the morning your mind can often imagine all sorts of weird things lurking in the dark.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My mate had a Ghost Radar App on his phone. I got him to try it around mine. It spits out words but the first thing it said was "Peter" which happens to be my dad's name.

A bit spooky at the time but I can put it down to coincidence. Someone else may have freaked out if they believed in the supernatural and couldn't rationalise it because this would have been proof to them of a spirit world.

classic-winphone7-1-207x354.png

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Don't believe any of it, but enjoy reading / hearing people's stories and experiences.

Yeah, me too. I'm at the very least DEEPLY sceptical, but the kid in me loves all this stuff. I just try not to think too deeply about it and enjoy the stories.

If anyone's into it, there's a podcast at theunexplained.org with a radio guy, his format is basically getting a guest on for an hour and exploring their particular paranormal bent. He balances a decent line between politeness and sceptic with his guests. There is hundreds of topics and they range to slightly unusual/semi-believeable to completely bonkers and batshit crazy. He just recently started doing a new show on talkradio on Sunday nights too. At the very least it's good for a laugh, but if you're into listening to crazy people tell crazy stories, it's decent. I'm a massive sceptic and most of the stuff on there I don't believe for a second, but I like this kinda stuff. Gives the world some colour.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am by no means a believer - I would describe myself as an agnostic sceptic, but I like to keep an open mind.

Whats open minded about 7th century thinking, if you look at some of the advancements in current science it is quite astounding and far more astonishing than anything you can trawl up from the fake world of the supernatural, nothing open minded about it at all.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Whats open minded about 7th century thinking, if you look at some of the advancements in current science it is quite astounding and far more astonishing than anything you can trawl up from the fake world of the supernatural, nothing open minded about it at all.

Right what part of my thinking is from the 7th Century? In the same sentence I have just described myself as a sceptic.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There is a poster near our office for ‘Conjuring 2’ saying this is based on true events – wrong, it is based on the delusional ramblings of somebody making a lot of money out of the movie. Scary thing is a lot of Americans will believe this load of old cobblers actually happened.

Penn and Teller do some of the best, and funniest, deconstructions of the supernatural / paranormal

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Yeah, me too. I'm at the very least DEEPLY sceptical, but the kid in me loves all this stuff. I just try not to think too deeply about it and enjoy the stories.

If anyone's into it, there's a podcast at theunexplained.org with a radio guy, his format is basically getting a guest on for an hour and exploring their particular paranormal bent. He balances a decent line between politeness and sceptic with his guests. There is hundreds of topics and they range to slightly unusual/semi-believeable to completely bonkers and batshit crazy. He just recently started doing a new show on talkradio on Sunday nights too. At the very least it's good for a laugh, but if you're into listening to crazy people tell crazy stories, it's decent. I'm a massive sceptic and most of the stuff on there I don't believe for a second, but I like this kinda stuff. Gives the world some colour.

Whoops it was theunexplained.tv not .org, sorry, I couldn't edit..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Don't believe any of it, but I do a lot of night fishing alone and when you are sitting on a beach at 1 in the morning your mind can often imagine all sorts of weird things lurking in the dark.

This made me chuckle,it's true your out there and you know that apart from the odd wild deranged stray dog or human for that matter the only real risk is perhaps falling over or something yet it's true the mind can wander...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Right what part of my thinking is from the 7th Century? In the same sentence I have just described myself as a sceptic.

Why even considering the authenticity of ancient mythology and magic would you think that makes you open minded, although I do concede and apologise if you were just stating something else.

I have a regular debate with a friends wife who absolutely believes in anything except modern medicine and science she even had one of her rooms exorcised and she uses the word 'open mined' to describe herself !!!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

A mate and me fished an all nighter at Mistley lakes a few years ago, the place is supposed to be the haunt of Matthew Hopkins the witchfinder general who drowned his victims in said lake. The imagination does get the better of you in the early hours, every little sound has you on edge. Never been back.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Utter pony. What I am interested in though is the psychological element to it, it shows the power of the human imagination and conscience to be able to hallucinate or imagine things so vividly that they seem real.

Have you ever noticed how many of these illusions are there when the person is in bed so therefore half in and out of sleep? Or when they are recently bereaved and therefore under huge emotional and psychological stress.

As mentioned earlier, if there really was such as thing as ghosts then we would be catching them on our smartphones several times a day.

Agree with this as a child I had an incident of sleep paralysis where I was convinced something was pinning me to the bed and I was sure I was awake. The mind is incredible from incidents like this to recreating the sensation of falling.

Amazing how the mind can play tricks on people in moments of heightened emotion or sleep

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Im not a believer in it but some things have been happening in my flat recently that has started to make me think.

Our TV randomly turns on and straight back off again throughout the night. Been doing it for a month or so. I've put it down to a radio signal from someone else's tv or a signal from a phone the same as our remote is affecting our TV. Or the TV is going to give up soon.

The other, which I really can't explain is one day I was sterilising the baby bottles in the microwave. When they'd finished I put the steriliser on the cooker top, in the middle of all 4 rings to cool down, because it still had boiling water and steam in it I made sure I was careful and that it wouldn't fall off. I turned my back on it and was making some lunch for the next day. Half way through making it there was a smash on the floor behind me and I nearly shat my pants because of it.

The steriliser was on the floor. I have no logical explanation for that one. The cooker is level, the steriliser was perfectly balanced on it. It was there a good 5 minutes before it fell (or was it knocked?) off. If it was gonna fall then it should have gone quickly. And it wasn't next to the cooker, it was in the middle of the kitchen floor in a puddle of water. If it had just slipped off it would have fallen next to the cooker and spilled the water there. But the water was in the middle of the floor. Almost as if something had swiped it off quite fiercely.

Can't explain that one I must admit.

I sometimes also catch my daughter looking intently at doorways. Which freaks me out a little. As if she's looking at someone. That gives me shivers.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Im not a believer in it but some things have been happening in my flat recently that has started to make me think.

Our TV randomly turns on and straight back off again throughout the night. Been doing it for a month or so. I've put it down to a radio signal from someone else's tv or a signal from a phone the same as our remote is affecting our TV. Or the TV is going to give up soon.

The other, which I really can't explain is one day I was sterilising the baby bottles in the microwave. When they'd finished I put the steriliser on the cooker top, in the middle of all 4 rings to cool down, because it still had boiling water and steam in it I made sure I was careful and that it wouldn't fall off. I turned my back on it and was making some lunch for the next day. Half way through making it there was a smash on the floor behind me and I nearly shat my pants because of it.

The steriliser was on the floor. I have no logical explanation for that one. The cooker is level, the steriliser was perfectly balanced on it. It was there a good 5 minutes before it fell (or was it knocked?) off. If it was gonna fall then it should have gone quickly. And it wasn't next to the cooker, it was in the middle of the kitchen floor in a puddle of water. If it had just slipped off it would have fallen next to the cooker and spilled the water there. But the water was in the middle of the floor. Almost as if something had swiped it off quite fiercely.

I sometimes also catch my daughter looking intently at doorways. Which freaks me out a little. As if she's looking at someone. That gives me shivers.

Got any cats?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Got any cats?

Nope. No pets allowed as per our tenancy contract. I did have an aquarium running at the time of the steriliser incident however. Do you think the fish did it? ???:eek:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

You say your not a believer, but you are painting a picture here and you seem to be fulfilling our modern concepts of horror and ghosts, TV's, young girls and a little bit of poltergeist action in the kitchen.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nope. No pets allowed as per our tenancy contract. I did have an aquarium running at the time of the steriliser incident however. Do you think the fish did it? ???:eek:

Was going to say Cat's will tell you if you have forms of paranormal activity and will in most cases repel it.......as you can't have the cats,now perhaps you don't believe or perhaps you could ask your daughter who she is seeing maybe ask her to draw it........ and good luck if you do..... :lolol: would scare me.......let's agree its the fish

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here