Mar 10, 2013
05fc55d481dfcbbb3ee410598c8a596c.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I take my kids to a well known local family pub that was dying on its backside when it was just supported by the local alkies. They behave, we spend lots of money on food and we're gone by 7.30. Simpls. When I want to get pissed with my mates I go to said pub after 7.30 or find one that doesn't let kids in. Simpls. If anyone wants to go somewhere without kids on a Sunday may I heartily recommend The Seafield AKA Home for Retired Criminals. :moo:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Take your kids to the park, the match, museums, whatever. Just keep them out of the pub...

I've got three so am fully qualified to engage in this rant! Many decent Brighton and Hove pubs are now overrun with kids these days, it's a ****ing nuisance imho.

We’re fortunate in this City that we have a variety of places families can visit. Parks, cinemas, theatres, shops, museums, cafes, swimming pools, public transport, probably about 99% of the public realm is available for those with children. So why, with all these riches are some parents not satisfied and decide they need to take their kids to the pub?

Because most "pubs" these days, are not the pubs of yore. They are mostly cafe/restaurants that also serve drinks. Your real old English, spit and sawdust, traditional pub rarely exists any more. In my yuff I would have been quite sad about it, but being a little more mature in years, if not behaviour, I prefer eateries to drinkeries - not having any kidneys any more doesn't help ! To make these businesses more viable, clearly it is better to get whole families in to spend a lot more, than just the bloke having 4 pints, with very little margin.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well it's wonderful to hear all the NSC children are well behaved when there in pubs, I've never seen a pub and let's use the Railway in Station Road as an example where gangs of toddlers are roaming from table to table occasionally chased by mum, with children sat quietly eating their meal.

I do get the fact that pubs have had to evolve though

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Sometimes after the footy I like to meet up with a couple of friends, and they're always in the pub after footy. I like the fact that I can go and meet them, even if I've got one of my kids with me. It's not late, the loud and drunk adults there should be able to cope with the fact a couple of kids might come in.
spot on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well it's wonderful to hear all the NSC children are well behaved when there in pubs, I've never seen a pub and let's use the Railway in Station Road as an example where gangs of toddlers are roaming from table to table occasionally chased by mum, with children sat quietly eating their meal.

I do get the fact that pubs have had to evolve though

They would be better off at home doing their English homework.:thumbsup:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yeah, ban all small things in case someone who can't handle a tray of drinks safely doesn't spill them again. Footstools, dogs, kids, wheelchairs...

Or maybe just look around before you step backwards...:facepalm:

Let's be real here… how often do you rotate on your axis 180 degrees and look down before stepping away, just in case?

I've tripped over/walked into kids plenty of times, mostly outside of pubs mind, and there's nothing wrong with my peripheral vision or ability to handle my drink.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Does seem to be a Brighton thing for trendy parent types to take their offspring to a pub for Sunday Lunch with other parents.

The Good Companions is an example of this type of venue.

Little Tarquins etc are allowed to run riot, which is fine except when the staff are carrying plates of hot food. A disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't recommend a Wetherspoons on a Sunday, either.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Back in the 80's I lived in West London and one Saturday lunchtime I was in an awful place called West Drayton.
In the high street was a pub so I popped in for a pint.
This pub allowed kids in but the problem was that in the bar was a succession of strippers dancing around and doing very naughty things on the carpet. All the mums and kids were outside in a grotty garden but some still came in to use the toilet to see all the dads at the bar letching at the girls who were inserting paraphernalia into their persons.

Where's the "This thread is worthless without pics" smiley gone?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I was in Revenge gay night club about fifteen years ago when they had strippers on a Monday night. No kids on stage or the floor, thankfully but the place was crawling with straight women... :moo:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let's be real here… how often do you rotate on your axis 180 degrees and look down before stepping away, just in case?

I've tripped over/walked into kids plenty of times, mostly outside of pubs mind, and there's nothing wrong with my peripheral vision or ability to handle my drink.

I can assure you, if I've just paid £25 odd for a round, I'm checking what is around me before exiting the bar!

Besides, I can turn my neck 90 deg and see behind me, no need to be an owl.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It's scandalous!

It's not like there might be young couples who have kids and like to have a drink at the weekend with their friends, right?

Oh, wait, that's exactly what it is.
So.. in the traditional way when you choose to have kids... some sacrifice is required, and then a relative or babysitters fill the gap when you want a day or night out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well, this really. As we only have the one, I don't see what the problem is about taking my family out to lunch at a pub (generally a nice country one) where the food is good, a kids menu is available and he is also content to take a book/kindle/3ds to keep him amused so he doesn't run around "screaming" (he wouldn't, and didn't when he was younger) if the weather is bad or if they don't have a play area outside. Why should I be banned from doing this (and spending MY money in a small, LOCAL business, leaving tips for hard working, LOCAL people, ffs)? Seems to me the people wanting to ban kids are the selfish ones.
...because it is a pub... not a playground...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A pub, that has a children's menu, gives out colouring pencils, has kids books....yeah, they don't want any kids in their 'pub'! :facepalm:
Take your choices... I wouldn't call a place with a children's menu a pub... it's a cafe with beer....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
West Drayton you say? Name of pub? Not that I have any inclination of going there of course...

I fully expected AmexRuislip to get involved by now.
It was a long time ago, I remember the strippers like yesterday but not the name of the pub.
From the top of the high street walking south on the left side of the road i think I remember a railway bridge it was around there, probably not even a pub now.
The strippers had to put there own money in the juke box before the performance.
Over to you AmexRuislip you live not far from West Drayton is it still the ****hole it was back then.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Take your choices... I wouldn't call a place with a children's menu a pub... it's a cafe with beer....

Exactly this. Pubs come in many different forms these days. If your landlord is serving up chicken nuggets and giving out crayons and you don't like kids in your pub - time to find another pub!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Now most are open plan catering for and welcoming Kids. Used to be Saloon Bar for families kids etc...Public Bar for Locals/Beer Drinkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here