Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East Stirlingshire.FC.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Meadowbank Thistle (formerly Ferranti Thistle) didn't disappear - they changed their name and location (did a franchise move, aka MK Dons) and became Livingstone.

Airdrieonians didn't go to the wall either.

They couldn't pay debts so closed the company and renamed themselves Airdrie United. They then had to start in the bottom division with that name and have now reverted back to Ardrieonians again now that their ten year trading ban has elapsed.

Airdrie were no different from what Rangers done really, except in a smaller scale, although how Rangers were allowed to keep the same name I don't know. It was HMRC who they both owed money to and who filed them both for Bankruptcy

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Most fans have their Scotch club to see their results East Stirling has been mine since Meadowbank disappeared,no reason for it at all, they have been hopeless for nearly every season I have followed them.

Hopeless,sums it up,yet been there and even bought a tie whilst i was there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Airdrieonians didn't go to the wall either.

They couldn't pay debts so closed the company and renamed themselves Airdrie United. They then had to start in the bottom division with that name and have now reverted back to Ardrieonians again now that their ten year trading ban has elapsed.

Airdrie were no different from what Rangers done really, except in a smaller scale, although how Rangers were allowed to keep the same name I don't know. It was HMRC who they both owed money to and who filed them both for Bankruptcy
I knew Airdrie United was a separate company - same as Hereford FC, and the new Accringtons and Aldershots (sam(ish) names but new companies). Didn't know they'd changed their name to Airdrieonians though, fair enough.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Before East Stirlingshire ''ground shared'' with Stenhousmuir their ground wan not in Stirling. It was actually in Falkirk. Right next to Falkirk train station.

It is from ESFC old ground to Stirling Albion. Durston,s post.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Most fans have their Scotch club to see their results East Stirling has been mine since Meadowbank disappeared,no reason for it at all, they have been hopeless for nearly every season I have followed them.

Meadowbank haven't disappeared at all. They're now on their third name change each time due to ground relocation

The Club began in 1943 as non league Ferranti Thistle. When the Scottish leagues were restructured in the 1980s Ferranti Thistle applied to join but their Ground at the time was unfit to fulfill regulations. In stepped Edinburgh Council who offered them Meadowbank Athletic stadium on condition the Club included Meadowbank in the its tittle. So Ferranti was dropped & Meadowbank Thistle - same Club, different name - joined the Scottish league

Having won the Scottish 2nd Division in 1986-87 Meadowbank then finished Division 1 runners up the next season but we're denied promotion to the SPL when leagues were streamlined. When the SL restructured divisions again Meadowbank found itself back in Div 2

An opportunity to move to a new stadium in the new town of Livingston was taken up & Meadowbank Thistle formerly Ferranti Thistle became Livingston & now play in SL Div 1. Complicated story but in effect it's the same Club with names changed only due to moving Grounds

It must be a test of allegiance for a supporter & I'm not sure I'd stick with a Club willing to lose its identity so often but if it meant survival or disband it's not much of a choice really. And we slag off our own FL. Our Scottish equivalent are far worse

Apologies GT49er for beating me to this in Post # 13. My tablet is working very slow today & it's taken yonks to finish typing this. Kudos to you Sir :)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Near where I live is a tiny village with a pub and 5 houses. As you drive in, there is a sign saying 'Twinned with Stenhousemuir" :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have to say, that is desperate!

Unlike some of my posts (ahem) it is true and real. I'll try to remember to take a photo next time I'm over there. The sign was put up by the pub landlord - an ex pat sweatie, with a sense of humour (I hope).

I have to say that as far as I can see, Scotland is kidding itself by having so many tiers of (semi) professional clubs. I'm astonished more of them haven't gone to the wall. If they are doing it mostly for the sport, with little cost or risk implications, then that's great. Nevertheless, it always makes me raise an eyebrow to hear national (UK) TV channels and radio reading out the resuts for teams that have fewer regular attenders than Faversham Town . . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here