Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Netflix

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Netflix are doing a free trial for a month here, so thought we may give it a go. Only problem is our internet connection is shite. Can you download from Netflix and watch offline? If not, any other similar services that are worth looking at?

Thanks!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Netflix are doing a free trial for a month here, so thought we may give it a go. Only problem is our internet connection is shite. Can you download from Netflix and watch offline? If not, any other similar services that are worth looking at?

Thanks!

I don't think you can watch offline. I used it free for a month and I've kept it. It's a very good service, mind.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Thanks!

No, Netflix doesn't allow that. However, Netflix is very clever at optimising the bandwidth it has available so I'd give the free trial a go and see.

Amazon Prime Video does permit downloading some (not all) content for offline viewing, in the UK at least.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Thanks!

Netflix don't offer an offline service.

You can alter the streaming rate to match your broadband connection, but if your internet speed is poor then you are not going to get a good quality picture.

Edit: as per Bozza above!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Thanks!
If you go ahead with this please let me know how it goes. I've got iBurst through a wireless router, 50GB per month (way, way more than I use).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
No, Netflix doesn't allow that. However, Netflix is very clever at optimising the bandwidth it has available so I'd give the free trial a go and see.

Amazon Prime Video does permit downloading some (not all) content for offline viewing, in the UK at least.

Thanks. With Amazon Prime, are they free to download or are you then paying to download, as I see it gives an option of "Watch with a Prime membership" for free and then "Buy episodes or series" with a price?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
If you go ahead with this please let me know how it goes. I've got iBurst through a wireless router, 50GB per month (way, way more than I use).

Yes, will do. Have you got a decent speed there then? I suppose you must have. The infrastructure here is so terrible that it is not worth upgrading - I had Telkom's fastest service for a while, then changed to their slowest service and the speed hardly changed at all! The perils of living in the sticks I guess.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes, will do. Have you got a decent speed there then? I suppose you must have. The infrastructure here is so terrible that it is not worth upgrading - I had Telkom's fastest service for a while, then changed to their slowest service and the speed hardly changed at all! The perils of living in the sticks I guess.

It's about 35 to 60 kb per second when downloading. Took me14 hours to download and install Windows 10 (1.3GB) so I would say it's not superfast!!!!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I expect it'll get quite a lot faster if you pay a bribe.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
It's about 35 to 60 kb per second when downloading. Took me14 hours to download and install Windows 10 (1.3GB) so I would say it's not superfast!!!!!

Blimey! Ours is faster than that. We downloaded 2 PS3 games not long ago - 16GB. Took 40 hours! MWEB uncapped, 2Mbps max speed but we don't get anything like that obviously. R199 a month with a free router. Maybe I should not complain then! Would have thought that living in Pretoria you would get much faster speeds, but then I guess you are competing with far more people.

Edit. Just calculated that 16GB download over 40 hours is a speed of about 1Mbps. That's not bad, so will give Netflix a try.

I expect it'll get quite a lot faster if you pay a bribe.
:)

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Blimey! Ours is faster than that. We downloaded 2 PS3 games not long ago - 16GB. Took 40 hours! MWEB uncapped, 2Mbps max speed but we don't get anything like that obviously. R199 a month with a free router. Maybe I should not complain then! Would have thought that living in Pretoria you would get much faster speeds, but then I guess you are competing with far more people.

Edit. Just calculated that 16GB download over 40 hours is a speed of about 1Mbps. That's not bad, so will give Netflix a try.

:)

I don't use a phone lne, just a wireless dongle in the back of the router so I'm sure it would be a lot faster if I changed suppliers. If Netflix and their competitors look like a good deal then I'll consider changing to a high speed connection. I'm in Joburg, not the Afrikaner republic of Pretoria!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Now that the Nucleus team seem to have cracked middle-out compression, the algorithm should allow HD TV over a shite internet connection.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thanks. With Amazon Prime, are they free to download or are you then paying to download, as I see it gives an option of "Watch with a Prime membership" for free and then "Buy episodes or series" with a price?

Anything that has the prime logo is free to watch online or download. You have 48 hours from when you start to watch to finish an episode or film until it's deleted. Prime also has a massive free to download music collection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here