Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deals for three; five released

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Greer may well have been a case that the club would have retained him, but he wanted regular football which they could not offer.

Would not be surprised if he ended up at Rangers for a year.

I was thinking exactly the same - the Old Firm would be a great next move, he was born in Glasgow although I don't know whether he's blue or green. And with Calde I'm sure this is more a case of "au revoir" than "goodbye".

Hughton and Bloom's statements are spot on. As for Bobby, thank you for coming back for one last season, I was so pleased my 10-year old got to watch the legend in the stripes.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I was thinking exactly the same - the Old Firm would be a great next move, he was born in Glasgow although I don't know whether he's blue or green. And with Calde I'm sure this is more a case of "au revoir" than "goodbye".

Hughton and Bloom's statements are spot on. As for Bobby, thank you for coming back for one last season, I was so pleased my 10-year old got to watch the legend in the stripes.

I would presume Bobby will quit, so saying he is being released might be a bit harsh, would have been better to allow him to retire?

Calderon to Charlton or Crawley type clubs? Somewhere localish...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Bobby I'd accepted so it doesn't hurt so much. I'm just so happy he made a lovely contribution to this season.

GG still has a good move in him so almost pleased for him to get out now and get another season as a first choice centre back somewhere.

Calderon HURTS. Honestly, I think I ACTUALLY loved him.

This!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Exactly the same here, down to the age and everything.

Despite a fear that you're in my brain, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this suffering.
I'm in this camp too! What's wrong with us pussyo's!?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Gutted about Inigo/Greer, but the right time for them to go.

Ankergren makes sense, as they probably plan to loan out Walton again next season, and he's probably being paid next to nothing, worth keeping around.

Do we know if Zamora was actually offered a new deal? Wouldn't surprise me if he retires as he's still good enough to be back up so would have been offered something surely?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gutted about Inigo/Greer, but the right time for them to go.

Ankergren makes sense, as they probably plan to loan out Walton again next season, and he's probably being paid next to nothing, worth keeping around.

Do we know if Zamora was actually offered a new deal? Wouldn't surprise me if he retires as he's still good enough to be back up so would have been offered something surely?

Good enough but not fit enough so I would think he wasn't offered another deal.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It is sad to see an "end of an era" but it really does feel like that with GG and Calde on their way.. I hope they have both made decisions for themselves as well - wanting to play more etc etc - just would make me feel better! Bobby was inevitable, and it has been great to have him around this year - those goals were priceless on so may occasions, and goals that others may not have been able to take. I feel sorry for Chicksen. I just don't think he was given a chance, or decent run in the team to allow him to settle, but when he did play, felt he always did "OK" without being brilliant. Clearly he didn't quite do enough for any of the managers but I think circumstances haven't helped (loan players coming in, the Hypia way of playing that made Bruno look crap, a relegation threatened team that couldn't afford to take risks..) I get that players have to take their chances, but I think it has been hard for young full-back to make a mark.. I hope he gets some confidence and gets some real success..

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Many thanks to all those released escpecially Greer and Calde who have been sensational servants to us and will be missed greatly.

Both at the stage in careers when they just want to play football, and will have plenty of good offers.

I would imagine moving on Greer and him being skipper will release significant wages also.

Can that not be said of players of all ages? It's a line trotted out when sending a young player or a senior but unused player out on loan, or someone approaching the end of their career.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Can that not be said of players of all ages? It's a line trotted out when sending a young player or a senior but unused player out on loan, or someone approaching the end of their career.

ofcourse, all players should always want to play.

But when you only have 1 or 2 years left playing it becomes even more important, wherever these 2 go I bet you wont see them sitting on the bench.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Just as i was beginning to recover from the pain of the playoffs. Im hit with more pain, Im gutted Calderon is leaving.

I hate football.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A true bunch of professionals. Will miss them all on their own way. Good luck wherever their journey takes each of them. Will always be welcome at BHAFC
Hopefully a new breed of players will come in that we all hold in as high regards as those that are leaving.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A big thank you to all of the released players from me, especially the 4 senior ones. Fantastic servants to our club, and I really hope they get to do whatever they want to do in the future.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Good luck to all the players, wherever they end up :albion2:

Great servants all of them.
Gutted about Greer and Calderon. It seems both want regular first-team football, and at least CH has been totally honest with them and said its not going to happen.
But I'm sure they will both be in starting lineups somewhere next season. And if the come to the AMEX, I'm sure will give them great ovations, as we really haven't had a chance to with the end of the season and all that :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here