Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deals for three; five released

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think Bruno may have deserved a 2 year deal, though if he plays as well next year, they may give him another 1 year contract.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Emotional about Calde leaving, gutted to not keep Greer who has been outstanding for 6 seasons now.

Suprised that Ankergren has been offered anything other than a one way ticket to anywhere else. Underwhelmed about the goalkeeping scenario as I would've liked to have seen a new addition.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That depends on his demands. Previously in this thread, it was said, he wants a three year contract, which I doubt we would offer.

That is assuming you believe what people on here post..which I don't ever!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
or 1 versatile defender/ midfielder and 1 midfielder/ support striker as per Baldock somebody like Texiera of Liverpool that would mean possibly 2 better quality signings.
Surely we need another four or five left backs? Don't want Hughton making THAT mistake again.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Shame for Greer Calde and BZ but good to see that the club have been decisive and moved on some big earners. I would've kept Greer but it may be that he wanted to play regularly. This clears the decks for an early and strong move into the market. We will be up against some big spenders so it's important that we move quickly for our targets before we get outbid. We also desperately need to get the average age of the squad down. An exciting summer ahead and although gutted not to be promoted this is going to be some league next season...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Think to me the right situation has happened for all the players involved.....as some have said gutted and THANK YOU for all of you especially Calderon......and BOBBY in particular....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Expected Calderon's departure but genuinely gutted about Greer. Great servant to the club, massively under valued during his time here and got no real goodbye. I really did think he'd be given a new contract.

Agree with all of that.

Could GG be returning to his beloved Glasgow? With Rangers promoted back to the top division, he could be the ideal man to anchor their defence next season.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
They are some big shoes that will need filling,both on and off the pitch. Four senior players who have given a lot to the club and who 'get' it. I hope their loss won't have a detrimental effect on the dressing room in terms of maintaining what has, by all accounts, been an outstanding team spirit. I can't help but feel all four have been important in that.

This is my concern. Individually I think these are all sensible decisions for the club; collectively I think we're risking the #Together spirit that was an important part of the team's overachievement this season.

I'm confident that Chris and his scouting team will be able to find four better players to replace them (although I don't think it will be easy, nor will the replacements come cheap) but finding four bigger characters as well would be nothing short of miraculous.

We're just lucky that we're not short of leaders at the moment, and we'll still have Bruno, Kayal, Hemed, Rosenior, Stockdale and Goldson... assuming we can keep hold of them.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wonder what effect losing Greer and Calde will have on the dressing room, both model professionals. Thankfully we still have the likes of Rosenior and Stockdale.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bit disappointed that GG is going ..great player and leader for the Albion...I guess Calde going is no great surprise..hopefully back at the club in some capacity in the future...I guess it's all been said by others.
BZ's goal against Huddersfield remains one of my favourites of the season and epitomised the way we played since January ...breaking from defence to attack swiftly...I don't think anyone else on the books would have finished the way he did that day.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
or 1 versatile defender/ midfielder and 1 midfielder/ support striker as per Baldock somebody like Texiera of Liverpool that would mean possibly 2 better quality signings.

No just 1 capable deputy to Bong without having to use a jack of all trades.

So. No jack of all trades only applies to left backs then?

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Releasing players is always one of the most difficult decisions a manager has to make. He does it risking being unpopular but does it because he believes they no longer fit in his plans. They become the past of a Club & no longer its future

CH will have taken time & gone over his decisions many times. It will have been much harder a choice this year after we came so close. He will have considered so many aspects but he has been big enough to not let sentimentalism overcome the harsh realities of his beliefs that will help make BHA move on

I would've loved Calde to have been kept at the Amex in some role. He'd become too big in stature here for us to comprehend him leaving (GG similarly). But if he still wants a playing career CH is gracefully but firmly saying it won't be here. Both Calde & GG will find Clubs at a good standard to become key players

What I take from this is that there will be incomings of a very good standard. Goodbyes are sad & the only solace for me is I believe Tony will be giving CH a big budget to replace & improve our squad. That appeases me. Signing Hughton on a long term contract was a big sign we will use the hurt of this season to go up next season.

Bobby is always going to be legendary in our history. Crofts had to go sadly (he'd struggle to get a game again IMO). Adam needs a Club that can develop him & it isn't us

Bruno staying is massive but I'd feel happier with a 2 year contract.

Thanks guys. You gave us more than we ever expected & we will never forget. Now for the next stage & bringing in quality players #Believe

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here