Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cigarette selling laws come into force today

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
10 (anything under 20 eventually - Players tried 15) boxes were banned here years ago and the packaging is coming in imminently. Neither to do with EU law but in both cases having a very anti-smoking Health Minister at the time. The small packs were banned around the time of the workplace smoking ban which was extremely early - 2004 or so.

My gran used to buy packs of 5 (Weights). Because she was poor.

Some interesting discussion on this thread. I am still a smoker (of 40 years). I smoke only in the evenings, and only when I am on my own. I smoke roll ups with licorice papers. I stopped looking at the packaging years ago. I gave up once (when my son was born) but relapsed 18 months later. I used to stock up in France, but the costs aren't really an issue for me. Some say that the price hikes are a tax on the poor. Statistically I suspect this is correct.However, the amount and extent of smoking has fallen dramatically since I was young. That's because of price, the pub ban, the change in attitude . . . . personally I am pleased about that. I should probably give up, but I still enjoy it. Risk taking behaviour . . . . still fit and active . . . . hmmmm.......

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I gave up about 15 years ago, and the thing that persuaded me was the telly adverts with ordinary smokers like me, plugged into oxygen just sat down on their sofas,with breathing that sounded like a paedophile in a playground.
so, the warnings etc, worked on me, but even after ten years of being an ex-smoker( you can never be a non smoker, if you've already smoked) every dream I had, I would be smoking.
My three best friends all had heart attacks, within six months of each other, a couple of years back. All were quite heavy smokers, two have now given up, and one is back on the fags, I hope he can find the willpower to stop .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Extraordinary how things used to be . . . .

lucky.jpg

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Some interesting discussion on this thread. I am still a smoker (of 40 years). I smoke only in the evenings, and only when I am on my own. I smoke roll ups with licorice papers. I stopped looking at the packaging years ago. I gave up once (when my son was born) but relapsed 18 months later. I used to stock up in France, but the costs aren't really an issue for me. Some say that the price hikes are a tax on the poor. Statistically I suspect this is correct.However, the amount and extent of smoking has fallen dramatically since I was young. That's because of price, the pub ban, the change in attitude . . . . personally I am pleased about that. I should probably give up, but I still enjoy it. Risk taking behaviour . . . . still fit and active . . . . hmmmm.......
Be careful, admitting you are a smoker on this country puts you on a par with being a paedophile judging by the ridiculous overkill policies of the Govt and do-gooders

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Risk taking behaviour . . . . still fit and active . . . . hmmmm.......

We might be of similar ages. When I was 15 or 16, me and all my mates were keen to try anything we could get our hands on. I think everybody was similar. Smoke it, drink it or do something else with it. That's just how we were. I hope todays kids are put off smoking by the latest measures, but I don't think I would have been to be honest. Now the price, yes, that would have give me pause for thought.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Think history may be against you my friend. Maybe the government taxes you so much on your ciggies because, y'know, they don't WANT you to smoke, because you're invariably going to end up a burden on the NHS and they want to fund the costs of your future care up-front.

so they should ban it outright. simple enough and with the e-cigs to cover the supposed nicotine adiction there not any reason not to. oh, except the £12bn in duty and vat, then billions in corporation tax. maybe they dont want us to smoke, but they sure as hell need us to.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Legendary behaviour Harold. The last oily rag I had (roll up of course) was about six months ago and I've always dipped in and out of smoking.

Will be interesting to see how things go if cannabis gets legalised because, as much as partakers say it's less about the nicotine, many would say that the tobacco is an intrinsical part of the pleasure of a joint, unless you're smoking grass on its own, as they tend to do Stateside.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Following that logic, then expect alcohol, crisps, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, ready meals, sugary cereals, pizzas, and any other junk food all to be banned. Seriously, let people live their lives, if they choose to live a lifestyle that is likely to bring them to an early grave so be it. There are enough warnings. TBH I hope I die in a pub somewhere or enjoying a lovely glass of red wine at home, rather than end up as a drooling wretch in an old peoples home. Get put in one of those places and you know the only time you're leaving is in a hearse

But you wounldnt want to die in a pub at say 50 would you?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How much of this legislation is to do with concern over the health of smokers and how much with the protection of tax revenue? ???

It is estimated that cigarette smuggling costs the revenue in the region of £3 billion a year - totally different packs to other markets will make this trade more difficult.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
But you wounldnt want to die in a pub at say 50 would you?

I'm 43 now, and I can't see that happening, I don't smoke myself by the way, but as a retailer (albeit a small amount of tobacco, alcohol mainly) this is just ridiculous overkill. And I also see it as the thin end of the wedge. Once the Health Lobby has destroyed the Tobacco industry it will go after the Alcohol. I own a wine merchants and a pub, once the full force of the do-gooders are turned on alcohol I have no doubt my businesses and livelihood will be scewed

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
How much of this legislation is to do with concern over the health of smokers and how much with the protection of tax revenue? ???

It is estimated that cigarette smuggling costs the revenue in the region of £3 billion a year - totally different packs to other markets will make this trade more difficult.

Are you for real ? The abolishment of branded packs is something a smuggler couldn't have dreamed up. This is unbelievable. It won't cut smoking one iota, but it will diminish the one thing that it has going for it. The tax revenue

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
The only way to do this properly is to ban them. All these half measures do very little really, they just move the problem. You either ban it or have it legal. Simple.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Think history may be against you my friend. Maybe the government taxes you so much on your ciggies because, y'know, they don't WANT you to smoke, because you're invariably going to end up a burden on the NHS and they want to fund the costs of your future care up-front.

Smokers aren't any more of a burden on the NHS than anyone else. I know the governmment peddles the subliminal message that if you don't smoke, don't eat sugar, and have exactly-the-right-number-a-day, you'll live a long happy life and die peacefully, and cheaply, in bed. It ain't true. The nursing homes are full of people who didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't get fat, but did draw their pensions for a long long time and did reach an age where they couldn't look after themself.

If you don't die of smoking-related diseases, you're going to die of something else; and whatever it is, you're going to use significant NHS resources on the way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

A familiar phrase as it almost echos what my dad said for years. Then three years ago he was rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties. After a week in hospital doctors suspected cancer due to his 60 years of smoking. When he came out he and my mum gave up there and then. Nothing like a cancer scare to make you think.

PS - after tests it was proven he didn't have cancer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A familiar phrase as it almost echos what my dad said for years. Then three years ago he was rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties. After a week in hospital doctors suspected cancer due to his 60 years of smoking. When he came out he and my mum gave up there and then. Nothing like a cancer scare to make you think.

PS - after tests it was proven he didn't have cancer.

Glad he was OK! Yes . . . I know . . . .feeble excuses. Thanks for the admonition :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here