Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cigarette selling laws come into force today

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
As a ten-a-day smoker, the adverts won't force me into any changes. I get all my cigarettes duty free anyway but it seems the government wants to have its cake and eat it. Tax, tax and tax again fags until they're unbelievably expensive, put more warnings on packets which will hardly cost anything and then if you get lung damage or cancer you may have to wait longer because you're registered as a smoker.

Compare that to alcohol which does untold damage to society, destroys lives and yet nothing gets done about it apart from making it cheaper. The whole system is a joke.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As a ten-a-day smoker, the adverts won't force me into any changes. I get all my cigarettes duty free anyway but it seems the government wants to have its cake and eat it. Tax, tax and tax again fags until they're unbelievably expensive, put more warnings on packets which will hardly cost anything and then if you get lung damage or cancer you may have to wait longer because you're registered as a smoker.{/QUOTE]

Think history may be against you my friend. Maybe the government taxes you so much on your ciggies because, y'know, they don't WANT you to smoke, because you're invariably going to end up a burden on the NHS and they want to fund the costs of your future care up-front.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I no longer care. Not had a cigarette for 2 months and 13 days now :angel: Turning into a right fat ******* though :down:

5:2 Diet for you then, works a treat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wow, that's nearly £8000 per year. That means that after you paid tax on your earnings, £11,000 pound of your income would have been spent of cigarettes. Glad I gave up 10 years ago when 20 fags cost only £4.50!!!!!!!

Mr's V's mother recently gave up after 6 weeks in hospital with Pneumonia, she had a 60 a day habit on Richmonds which works out pretty much as £25 a DAY ... somehow she afforded this while on just a state pension and some other top ups. Must have smoked an entire house away in her lifetime.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mr's V's mother recently gave up after 6 weeks in hospital with Pneumonia, she had a 60 a day habit on Richmonds which works out pretty much as £25 a DAY ... somehow she afforded this while on just a state pension and some other top ups. Must have smoked an entire house away in her lifetime.

Strongly suspect it's also what much of the nation's Chlld Allowance benefits gets spent on.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Think history may be against you my friend. Maybe the government taxes you so much on your ciggies because, y'know, they don't WANT you to smoke, because you're invariably going to end up a burden on the NHS and they want to fund the costs of your future care up-front.

I understand your point but immigration is a far bigger burden on the NHS. Will the government in twenty years or so adopt the old Chinese system of couples only allowed one child because the country simply can't cope with the gigantic British population?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Has the Govt not realised it has already banned the display of tobacco. No one can see them anyway to browse or be influenced by packaging. Just more ridiculous Big Brother Nanny State interference that will only play into the hands of the bootleggars peddling their poisonous fake fags

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nimbin too I hope ?

Not any more. The tourist buses get routinely sitting-duck busted, and the good folks of Byron Bay are currently (or at least were a couple of months back) rightly up in arms about draconian measures which allowed the police to mount arbitrary road blocks, test every motorist for low-levels of drugs that may have been taken up to six weeks earlier, and on the outcome of their tests, take away people's livelihoods and by inference their homes. I know people with jobs five miles from Byron who have to make a thirty mile detour to avoid the Facebook-publicised police checks. It's all more than a bit of totalitarian IMHO.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
its going to have no effect. the people on the estates get the cheapest brand, those that smoke because they want to will stay with the brand they chose in their teens, new smokers will follow the tribal pattern. by now, anyone who taks up smoking does so because they want to, not because of a shiney/red/blue package. the warnings havent done anything so far, why should larger ones do more. there are already holders, i recall the original warnings came out you could get stickers to put over them.
But the percentage of people smoking is falling every year isn't it?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I don't smoke and can't stand it, I was really glad when they banned it in enclosed spaces

But can't help but feel the cig companies have been unfairly targetted, smoking costs the NHS but also generates a lot of tax revenue. Why do we draw the line? Should there be pictures of alcoholics livers on bottles of vodka?

Meanwhile cannabis use has been given a light touch by the governments almost as if its harmless fun, whilst fuelling mental health problems and organised crime

I bet you're a right laugh at parties...

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
That image with the guy and his throat tumour thing really motivated me to stop smoking and switch to vaping, so anyone saying these warnings do not work are talking shiit.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Usually if something is found to be detrimental to anyone's health, the government step in and ban the use of said product. Obviously the vast amounts of tax they take as a result of tobacco has been the only reason not to ban it, I think it's about time it was banned in all public places though.
I'm an ex smoker, gave up about 4yrs ago, I often wonder why I waited so long. The smell is vile, makes you feel crap, ruins your body, genuinely disgusting habit.
I think this new rebranding will have exactly zero effect on smokers though. Either you want to smoke or you don't. Photos are just photos, unless it happens to you then most people would choose to ignore.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Usually if something is found to be detrimental to anyone's health, the government step in and ban the use of said product. Obviously the vast amounts of tax they take as a result of tobacco has been the only reason not to ban it, I think it's about time it was banned in all public places though.
I'm an ex smoker, gave up about 4yrs ago, I often wonder why I waited so long. The smell is vile, makes you feel crap, ruins your body, genuinely disgusting habit.
I think this new rebranding will have exactly zero effect on smokers though. Either you want to smoke or you don't. Photos are just photos, unless it happens to you then most people would choose to ignore.

Following that logic, then expect alcohol, crisps, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, ready meals, sugary cereals, pizzas, and any other junk food all to be banned. Seriously, let people live their lives, if they choose to live a lifestyle that is likely to bring them to an early grave so be it. There are enough warnings. TBH I hope I die in a pub somewhere or enjoying a lovely glass of red wine at home, rather than end up as a drooling wretch in an old peoples home. Get put in one of those places and you know the only time you're leaving is in a hearse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here