Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cigarette selling laws come into force today

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I really dont understand stopping selling packs of 10 ? I buy 1 pack of 10 and it lasts me 1 week. If I have a pack of 20 it still only lasts me 1 week.

1 Fag a day does me or sometimes 2 if having a drink.
The reason they are stopping 10s is so that it makes it less affordable to younger people, hopefully stopping them from taking up smoking in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Actually no. This is UK sovereignty bollx, as opposed to EU bollx. I think its been done only in Australia so far, and now the UK

it is UK implementing an EU directive, though MPs did vote and pass parts of the legislation.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
A load of absolute bollocks.

If the government truly wanted people to stop buying cigarettes, they'd make them illegal.

But they don't. So they won't.

That would simply push the trade underground which is far more dangerous.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Actually no. This is UK sovereignty bollx, as opposed to EU bollx. I think its been done only in Australia so far, and now the UK

10 (anything under 20 eventually - Players tried 15) boxes were banned here years ago and the packaging is coming in imminently. Neither to do with EU law but in both cases having a very anti-smoking Health Minister at the time. The small packs were banned around the time of the workplace smoking ban which was extremely early - 2004 or so.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Been like that in Australia for years. They are doubling the price over the next 3 years. Still a lot of smokers. Dont sell 10s but do sell 40s, not sure that helps. Packaging will not change anything, price hike might.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Not got point1 stage yet - I could still quite easily have a fag right now, but point 2, yeah, wow! I hardly go to the cash point at all during the week now. Mrs P and I have both given up and we were both 20 a day merchants, so we're now not far off £150 A WEEK better off !

Wow, that's nearly £8000 per year. That means that after you paid tax on your earnings, £11,000 pound of your income would have been spent of cigarettes. Glad I gave up 10 years ago when 20 fags cost only £4.50!!!!!!!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Over two years for me and everytime I walk behind someone who lights a fag, I want to follow them :lolol:

I loved smoking and I do miss it, but it's a mug game. I am definitely in the camp "once a smoker, always a smoker".

The idea of sitting on a beach with a large gin and tonic in a bowl glass smoking a fag is paradise to me...

I must be very lucky , not craved one since a few days after i gave up , i probably did 20 a day and if i went fishing probably 30 !!!! , mental .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Tax on fags goes up each budget to try and get the same tax take from fewer and fewer smokers. The Government needs to wean itself off the tax income before we all give up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
gov fag packs are rude......get your own box cover,its the polite thing to do.

HTB1I.oaHFXXXXayapXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I really dont understand stopping selling packs of 10 ? I buy 1 pack of 10 and it lasts me 1 week. If I have a pack of 20 it still only lasts me 1 week.

1 Fag a day does me or sometimes 2 if having a drink.

I would guess it is to discourage young people buying them for the first time. going out and spending £15 (or whatever it is now) on a pack is quite a lot for a teen to look cool. Especially when the pack looks disgusting.

I'm and ex-smoker of 3.5 years and am grateful everyday for quitting. Hate being around them now and think the lasting smell on people is horrible.

I do wonder how the hell smokers are going to buy their brand now? Hidden behind a door and all the packs look the same?!

'Yeah its the one to the left of the toothless mouth and below the black lung please'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I do wonder how the hell smokers are going to buy their brand now? Hidden behind a door and all the packs look the same?!

"20 Marlboro Light please" and the cashier sorts out which pack that is.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Aussies have got it right. Cigarettes under the counter, zero advertising, you have to tell the person selling them which brand you want. You can only bring a pitifully small amount of tobacco into the country. Schoolkids wouldn't know where to start, or even that they HAD to start. The current generation of smokers will be the last generation of tobacco smokers in Oz. Sooner we follow their example the better. IMHO, like.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The Aussies have got it right. Cigarettes under the counter, zero advertising, you have to tell the person selling them which brand you want. You can only bring a pitifully small amount of tobacco into the country. Schoolkids wouldn't know where to start, or even that they HAD to start. The current generation of smokers will be the last generation of tobacco smokers in Oz. Sooner we follow their example the better. IMHO, like.

Australia has high levels of cannabis use. Probably more popular than tobacco.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Unless you're a complete imbecile, most people know smoking, drinking, eating too much is unhealthy, its all about willpower ! And yes I do all 3...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here