Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cigarette selling laws come into force today

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
New packet design:

article-2449731-0F02D36C00000578-830_634x356.jpg

I have never smoked but seeing those images on a packet would put me off smoking!

Manufacturers are no longer allowed to sell packets of 10.

Are you more likely to give up now or will you continue your expensive, dirty and unhealthy habit?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It doesn't come in to force today. They have until next year to stop selling packs of 10 and have non branded packaging.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm no smoker, but what the cig companies should do is produce some trendy fag packet pouches. I can't see how they could be banned, and they could carry advertising s well.

Trust me, any possible way tobacco companies can exploit the laws in place to advertise their product will have been exhausted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with the need to inform smokers but this approach is utter nonsense.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I no longer care. Not had a cigarette for 2 months and 13 days now :angel: Turning into a right fat ******* though :down:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I no longer care. Not had a cigarette for 2 months and 13 days now :angel: Turning into a right fat ******* though :down:

September last year for me , put on 2 stone , now lost it again thankfully , i wonder now how 1 i liked it and 2 could afford it .

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
September last year for me , put on 2 stone , now lost it again thankfully , i wonder now how 1 i liked it and 2 could afford it .

Not got point1 stage yet - I could still quite easily have a fag right now, but point 2, yeah, wow! I hardly go to the cash point at all during the week now. Mrs P and I have both given up and we were both 20 a day merchants, so we're now not far off £150 A WEEK better off !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its going to have no effect. the people on the estates get the cheapest brand, those that smoke because they want to will stay with the brand they chose in their teens, new smokers will follow the tribal pattern. by now, anyone who taks up smoking does so because they want to, not because of a shiney/red/blue package. the warnings havent done anything so far, why should larger ones do more. there are already holders, i recall the original warnings came out you could get stickers to put over them.

meanwhile, the EU in their wisdom is restricting e-cigs, under some daft notion that inhaling nicotine steam must be just as bad. so thing most likely to get people away from cigarettes is being curtailed.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I really dont understand stopping selling packs of 10 ? I buy 1 pack of 10 and it lasts me 1 week. If I have a pack of 20 it still only lasts me 1 week.

1 Fag a day does me or sometimes 2 if having a drink.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Over two years for me and everytime I walk behind someone who lights a fag, I want to follow them :lolol:

I loved smoking and I do miss it, but it's a mug game. I am definitely in the camp "once a smoker, always a smoker".

The idea of sitting on a beach with a large gin and tonic in a bowl glass smoking a fag is paradise to me...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
anyone who taks up smoking does so because they want to, not because of a shiney/red/blue package. .

I'd agree that people don't BUY them because of the packaging but that's not any sort of scope for suggesting the horrendous packaging won't stop people buying their first pack.

It's appealing to those who on a whim by their first pack, standing at the counter thinking "should I? Just one pack". If looking at the horrendous pictures puts some off then good. If it still doesn't then that individual is making an informed mistake.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not got point1 stage yet - I could still quite easily have a fag right now, but point 2, yeah, wow! I hardly go to the cash point at all during the week now. Mrs P and I have both given up and we were both 20 a day merchants, so we're now not far off £150 A WEEK better off !

Well done, keep it up. If you stick the money away for 5 years, you can go out and buy a brand new Mercedes with it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't smoke and can't stand it, I was really glad when they banned it in enclosed spaces

But can't help but feel the cig companies have been unfairly targetted, smoking costs the NHS but also generates a lot of tax revenue. Why do we draw the line? Should there be pictures of alcoholics livers on bottles of vodka?

Meanwhile cannabis use has been given a light touch by the governments almost as if its harmless fun, whilst fuelling mental health problems and organised crime

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The packets in Thailand are more graphic than the ones in the OP's post, showing cancerous organs, lungs etc. covering the entire packet front to back and on the sides.

The one thing that gets me (more than celebrities who should know better advertising these loan shark companies on TV and in magazines) is someone like Griff Rhys-Jones voicing E-Cigarette adverts - unnecessary Griff really isn't it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe they need to put massive 'EATING SUGAR WILL MAKE YOU A FATTY' sign on food products? Still wouldn't put me off though :down:

"Drinking craft beer will make you look sophisticated and superior"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd agree that people don't BUY them because of the packaging but that's not any sort of scope for suggesting the horrendous packaging won't stop people buying their first pack.

It's appealing to those who on a whim by their first pack, standing at the counter thinking "should I? Just one pack". If looking at the horrendous pictures puts some off then good. If it still doesn't then that individual is making an informed mistake.

i don't believe anyone ever stood in front of the shopkeeper and browsed the selection of packets to chose their first smoke. they tried some their mates had or nicked off their family. you dont see the packet when someone offers you a single cigarette. i predict the resurgence of the ciggy case, and thats no bad thing.

But can't help but feel the cig companies have been unfairly targetted, smoking costs the NHS but also generates a lot of tax revenue. Why do we draw the line? Should there be pictures of alcoholics livers on bottles of vodka?

revenue is 6 times the estimated NHS cost last time i looked it up, and that's worst case and doesn't account for the tax take from those employed in the industry. the biggest worry is whats next, we've already heard the shrill voices saying sugar is the new tobacco, can we expect pictures of rotten teeth and obese people on packets of M&Ms and Cola in 20 years?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
A load of absolute bollocks.

If the government truly wanted people to stop buying cigarettes, they'd make them illegal.

But they don't. So they won't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here