Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora - was it the right decision to bring him back this season?...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes. And if he has 10 more 15 minute substitute appearances left in him, I would have him again next season.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Bobby was brought back as an Albion Icon/Talisman.
In the games he played I have no complaints. Yeah I guess he cost a few bob but, hey ho some of the ST money can be can be spent on Bobby!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is one of those questions that are impossible to answer correctly. He scored the second v Charlton, without his goal, would Hemed have scored his? The spirit of this question takes Zamora out of the team entirely. Obviously we wouldn't play with 10 men, so how do we know the person who played in his placed wouldn't have scored the same goal he scored against Burnley to win a point, or two against them giving us more points? How important is the win to our momentum, in following games, etc.

Simply taking his goals away, ignoring everything else:

Leeds - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Bristol City - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Burnley - draw becomes a loss = 1 point
Birmingham - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Charlton - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Blackburn - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Huddersfield - win becomes a draw = 2 points

13 points.

Which means instead of finishing third in the table, play off spot. We finish 5th in the table, play off spot.

So at the end of the season, how important were those goals, really?

We could then have rested players before the playoffs....and who knows :wink:

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
It was Bobby's return that set up the atmosphere for the season - his just being around was worth points. But he's finished now and I assume he'll soon announce his retirement. Honoured to have seen him in both his spells with us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fantastic decision to bring the hero back. Injury caught up with him in the end, but those goals he scored were moments of magic, particularly for me his first at the Amex.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think Bobby has a good affect on the team moral some players help build the team spirit some upset it. Thanks Bobby but I just wish had come back 3 /5 years earlier.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If bobby had been fit all season we would have gone up auto cos I can't believe he wouldn't have scored a few times as he did in the first 2/3rds - end of discussion.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It was worth it alone just to be there for the goal against Bristol City.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Superb contribution off the field, and we wouldn't have got as close as we did on it without him

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Worst-Thread-EVER.jpg

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I don't think Sidwell rejoining us and his great friendship with Bob was a total coincidence either.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
He was a cog (not that CoG) but a cog on a small wheel that turned a big club. Without him we would be mid table but he was not the main wheel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many points did his goals win us? When you look at that, he turned out to be a good signing
Alternatively how many points were dropped due to a lack of available strikers?

He definitely should have come back.
He's been considerably better than the doubters like me thought he was going to be.

But Tomer needed more help & rest than he was ever going to be given by Bobby & Baldock.
Esp with Wilson joining those two in the infirmary.

Bobby should have come back as the fourth or even fifth striker, not third man up.
Obviously that's not down to Bobby.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As long as his contract did not prevent us potentially strengthening our strikers in January then I'd say it was the right decision. Experience, having him around and the lift with the fans after a very poor season last year.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Bar Manu, every player who has played for us this season has been instrumental in our season. Every goal, every tackle and every save has been vital to how well we done.

Of course signing him was brilliant, every player mentioned his legend status and one would imagine that has been reflected in our team's work ethic.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I remember at the Leeds game I think hearing him shout at his team mates think about goal difference. How prolific that has turned out.

Sadly not prolific enough but perceptive yes,

Right signing. Right time.
If the gamble didn't quite work at the end in terms of fitness he scored key goals and lifted our season when it could have faltered and he gave us something to cheer. The crowd's response that first home game back was immense!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here