Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central midfield situation

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Exactly my thought when I opened this thread. Assuming he carries on developing at his current rate - and he seems a very sensible lad - Molumby will be our midfield dynamo in a few years. As someone rightly said on here a while back - maybe you HR - he is like a young Steven Gerrard.

I only saw one U21 game (v Liverpool) but Molumby was the stand out player for me.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Watched Will Hughes last night and was impressed.

I love these threads, but we all know we won't sign any big names. They'll end up trying to get a gem from the continent.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
How about Max Power? Young, scores screamers, and generally effective for Wigan last season. He's also shown that he can step his game up real fast, from relegated Tranmere to a mainstay in a promotion-winning team. Plus, his name is flairtastic :rave:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We need to have 4 capable box to box midfielders next year if we are going to play the same system.

I don't see how JFC or Ince can fit into our plans, regardless of their ability. I felt Towell was well off the pace of the game last Friday but I don't think he should be written off, he's obviously been signed as a bit of a project. That leaves one, maybe two to come in.

I'd rather it wasn't Sidwell, closer to 34 than 33 is a bit old for the kind of tireless CM we are looking for. However, we could do a lot worse, his wage demands would be a big factor for me.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Such a shame Jayson Molumby will only be 17 at the start of next season, too young for serious consideration for the 1st team. 13 games for the U21s this season though. Box to box star of the future to be sure.

May not be that far off. I think Albino Hughes made his league debut at 18? If you're good enough, you're old enough etc etc. Maybe a couple of good loan spells next season and who knows....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There's pros and cons, he has experience and I think we were seeing him come in to his best form in the final few games, however he hasn't had a great deal of game time and given his age injuries could become more and more regular. On a free transfer though I think he's definitely worth signing (if he wants to come here)
Agree, and having listened to his post match interview where he was saying we have to pick ourselves up and when we come back for pre season and finally when asked if he wanted to stay he said he would love to but not in his hands. (Or words to that effect)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think people are underestimating Towell. A run of games, maybe on loan, to get him up to Championship speed will be required but people who know talk about him being the best prospect to come out of Ireland since Roy Keane.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think people are underestimating Towell. A run of games, maybe on loan, to get him up to Championship speed will be required but people who know talk about him being the best prospect to come out of Ireland since Roy Keane.

I have a bunch of football loving teenage / twenty-something Irish nephews, who simply cannot BELIEVE that Towell hasn't made an impression. They can't believe we don't start him.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Stephens and Kayal with Sidwell and Towell as back up is fine.

As Perkino pointed out, any central midfielder signed will be third choice (first choice in cup games) and not many players sign on that basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here